Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
diesel fuel useage

for what it's worth,
2 nights dry camping :

21 hours of gen time = almost exactly 5 gal diesel

top off before and after
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #44

Just out of curiosity, where do you dry camp where you need to (and are willing to listen to) a generator running over 10 hours a day? And desolate enough so that no one else has to listen to your generator running over 10 hours per day?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #45

I've wondered this as well. I considered the how/why Winnebago chose an LP genset over diesel. Both have pros and cons. The propane burns cleaner and doesn't run down your fuel tank.

Running the genset off diesel would be more convenient refueling and/or carry extra fuel.

I've only taken a few short trips, so I haven't had to run the generator that much. So far, I'm not sure that additional cost to switch over to diesel would be worth it.

I'd probably spend money on solar panels, batteries, and a large inverter before I spent money to change the generator.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:39 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Just out of curiosity, where do you dry camp where you need to (and are willing to listen to) a generator running over 10 hours a day? And desolate enough so that no one else has to listen to your generator running over 10 hours per day?
I was dry camping at a stargaze party. The NJ School of Conservation and Montclair State University have graciously made their facility available to us again for another Star Party under the dark skies in Stokes State Forest. If interested you can google it.

There was a few pickup trucks and a pop up there as well as the open bunkhouse. I chose to use my RV. There was no electric, water and carry in carry out.

Had a great time and no one had a problem with the gen noise or smell.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:55 AM   #47

Diesel vs Propane geni

I have had the same thoughts about diesel vs propane.
What hadn't been mentioned is price. I have found even though the market price of propane is about the same as fuel. Many places here in the southeast charge double the price. Normal in the $4.00+ /gallon range. There isn't enough competition.
Add to the problem finding it,catching them open, getting the guy to come out to fill and many times getting the rig through the many obstacles to get to the tank makes the whole process a major event.
In addition ,inevitably, I will run low on the weekend when nothing is opened.

I worry more for heat in the winter than A/C. Although we have pretty hot nights that make it miserable to sleep in the summer.

So yes, this has been on my mind also.

Rex
Cumming GA
'06 23VH
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #48

Grand Design Owners Club
I've had good luck using Ace Hardware Stores for propane in travels from Florida to Pennsylvania.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnlife219 View Post
I've had good luck using Ace Hardware Stores for propane in travels from Florida to Pennsylvania.
Oddly enough the only people who seem to have trouble finding propane are diesel generator owners.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
stranger is that the only people who complain about diesel gens are owners of LP gens

Part of the issue may be the location in the country that you're trying to find LP on the highway.

Yes you can take the time to get off the highway and find LP in some towns, just don't expect them open after 5pm.

The east coast has very few on highway, perhaps they are more common on the left coast.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #51

Does anyone know if there is an adapter that can be connected to the MH propane line to connect a external propane tank? While boondocking the toad can be used to go for a refill.

Flat Tow Fiesta
Frank Dumlao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dumlao View Post
Does anyone know if there is an adapter that can be connected to the MH propane line to connect a external propane tank? While boondocking the toad can be used to go for a refill.
It's called Extend-a-stay. Fittings and hose complete kit. Easy install.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #53

Where can I purchase a Extend-a-Stay connection kit?

Flat Tow Fiesta
Old 05-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #54

You need to find out if your generator runs on vapor or liquid propane.

The extender kits supply vapor service to RVs. If your generator is a liquid model, it will feed of a seperate connection on the chassis mounted tank.

The Extender kits are not designed to refill the main tank. They supply the system, while you save the main tank gas.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:18 AM   #55

Thank you...I just noticed I was listed as having a Allegro, not anymore. I have a 2014 Winnebago era 70x I bought 3 years ago and tow flat a Ford Fiesta. I need to update my profile. Thanks.

Flat Tow Fiesta
Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dumlao View Post
Thank you...I just noticed I was listed as having a Allegro, not anymore. I have a 2014 Winnebago era 70x I bought 3 years ago and tow flat a Ford Fiesta. I need to update my profile. Thanks.
Do you already have a quick connect/disconnect for an propane grill?
I have one and had a propane place make a hose with regulator and quick connect fitting to fit RV.
I back feed the propane line from a 20 pound tank to the quick connect on the RV.
I turn off the RV propane tank and propane only comes from the 20 pound tank.
paddykern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator