Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #1

Scangauge?

After sitting for 3 months I took my 2016 chassis Sprinter diesel for a ride an the check engine light came on with no messages. I’d like to get a scan tool to see what’s up for myself. Would a Scangauge II be what I want? Also, are tools like this for one vehicle or could I also use it on my 2014 Jeep?

Thanks,
Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #2

I use a ScanGauge II and added some custom Sprinter X-Gauges from the Linear Logic website.

Yes, it can be used with (almost) any type of vehicle with an OBD II connection to the on board ECU or "brain", by changing some variables. It comes with about 20 standard gauges pre-programmed into it. They are other Linear Logic scan gauges available, but they're for big diesel RVs and commercial trucks.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #3

ScanGauge II in my Sprinter. Programmed for that engine. could easily move it (physically) to another vehicle (came out of a Chevy-based Roadtrek), but you'd need to reprogram the whole thing for a different engine. Not what you want to do... Would recommend an OBD-II port reader instead, if you just want to check engine codes. My Sprinter hasn't thrown any check engine lights, so happily can't tell you if the ScanGauge was able to read them. Understand the Mother Benz has some proprietary coding, not all readers will recognize them.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Magicbus:
I put a scan guage in my 2015 Sprinter, it's a Winnebago Era, mainly to monitor the DEF usage which I programmed it to do after a nice responder on this forum gave me the codes to add this function. I am not anal about the numerous parameters that are included in the devices menu, but fuel usage and DEF consumption were important. I had no trouble plugging in the OBD and routing it over to attach the monitor under the ignition switch with a plastic hook and loupe arrangement. Reattaching the cover for the fuse box required a little ingenuity, however. I cut away the outboard edge of the cover around the base of the plug and ran the wire under the dash and over the steering column to the monitor, voila, the cover sprang into place. I have been very pleased with the device. It records the DEF remaining in percent of full.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
Magicbus:
I put a scan guage in my 2015 Sprinter, it's a Winnebago Era, mainly to monitor the DEF usage which I programmed it to do after a nice responder on this forum gave me the codes to add this function. I am not anal about the numerous parameters that are included in the devices menu, but fuel usage and DEF consumption were important. I had no trouble plugging in the OBD and routing it over to attach the monitor under the ignition switch with a plastic hook and loupe arrangement. Reattaching the cover for the fuse box required a little ingenuity, however. I cut away the outboard edge of the cover around the base of the plug and ran the wire under the dash and over the steering column to the monitor, voila, the cover sprang into place. I have been very pleased with the device. It records the DEF remaining in percent of full.
Ahem, may I ask where you got the DEF usage monitor X-Gauge info? I just saw your post and tried searching on DEF usage X-Gauge, but came up with a gazillion threads, so I must be "forum search challenged". Or, would you mind sharing/posting up the actual programming codes from left to right, and I'll try setting up my own DEF gauge. Thanks in advance.
EDIT: I see there's one at the Scangauge website - does this look familiar?
  • Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level (%)
  • 07E02CFE903F
  • D2E803FE0000
  • 006400FF0000
  • DEF
Old 07-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

The Scangauge is both a code reader and a digital gauge display. By leaving it connected and selecting various ECU values, you can monitor anything providing data to the ECU.

If you wish to just check the codes an various OBDII compliant vehicles, there are several code reader options at your local autoparts store ranging in price from barebones to having all the features of the Scangauge.

The Scangauge is cool if the budget allows.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

Thanks all. I’m thinking maybe a code reader is all I need (if it will also let me clear codes). My 2016 chassis (2018 Era) seems to have the bells and whistles like DEF monitor, mileage, trans temp, etc. built into the dash.

Ill check out the readers and see if they are that much less than a Scangauge.

Dave
Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Thanks all. I’m thinking maybe a code reader is all I need (if it will also let me clear codes). My 2016 chassis (2018 Era) seems to have the bells and whistles like DEF monitor, mileage, trans temp, etc. built into the dash.

Ill check out the readers and see if they are that much less than a Scangauge.

Dave
Some of the code readers cost more than the ScangaugeII - but some do cost a lot less.

If you do go with a reader, make sure it's compatible with Sprinter ECU/OBD II output. Not all (MB compatible) readers work on Sprinters.

The nice feature of the SGII is it can be mounted somewhere on your dash (mine sits on top of the steering column in front of the other dash gauges) and can be used to monitor real time gauges. It has a back light that works at night.

Some of the readers can't do that, either because of physical shape/size or the display isn't easily read by the driver, for one reason or another.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #9

Scangauge is available to answer questions and will dig in and research issues and provide solutions. James has been great. Access them initially through this forum and they will respond and follow up. Try getting this from China.
gchapell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchapell View Post
Scangauge is available to answer questions and will dig in and research issues and provide solutions. James has been great. Access them initially through this forum and they will respond and follow up. Try getting this from China.

Hi George. Does my prior post for the DEF % level look right to you? I pulled it off the Scangauge website.

I'm now wondering if it will give me a more accurate idea of how much DEF I actually have in the tank, versus the dash display, or will I get the same info that the dash display is giving me?

I'm suffering from the oddball DEF levels info on my dash display. Shows full then drops a bit as I drive it, then I refill the diesel tank, and it suddenly shows full DEF again. It's frustrating that MB hasn't got their tank gauges info sorted out.

Your point about support from Linear Logic being really good, is true.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Close, the odes that I have are:

RXF: 032100000000

RXD: 2008

MTH: 006400FF0000

Name: RTL

I forget what RTL stands for but I believe that is what you look for when searching the Scan Guage menu.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Forgive my typing, it is late.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #13

I only found codes for 2014+ 2.1l diesels. Nothing listed on the 3.0l. Will try codes listed and see if they work. I only have a low def light, no gauge so this would be of help. Kind of a pain holding a 2-1/5 gallon jug up and trying not to spill all over when it only was down a quart!
gchapell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchapell View Post
I only found codes for 2014+ 2.1l diesels. Nothing listed on the 3.0l. Will try codes listed and see if they work. I only have a low def light, no gauge so this would be of help. Kind of a pain holding a 2-1/5 gallon jug up and trying not to spill all over when it only was down a quart!

I don't know what year Sprinter you have, but my 2016 has a dash gauge that is like the fuel gauge and is accessed by pushing the M button. I do not have steering wheel buttons.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scangauge