Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Sewer solution on an ERA

Has anyone installed a sewer solution made by Xantrex on their Winnebago Era? I am having considerable difficulty fitting ordinary bayonet type sewer hoses onto the three inch effluent pipe because of loss of strength in my arthritic hands. I need some sort of easier connection. Would like to leave it connected permanently instead of the cap.
Am planning also a modification to the fresh water connection in the utility area, perhaps simply a short hose attached to the fresh water inlet that can be stored attached to the fixture making hook-up possible outside the compartment.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm not sure the SS would be a solution to your problem. It too must be twisted on to the sewer connection. It has a 10' hose attached to the cap and then you attach a hose to 'power' it. The hose attaches with a 'quick-connect' connection.

Is your sewer connection inside a compartment where the Sewer Solution can be stored all hooked up? Unless it is, I don't see how it would be easier to manipulate than a stinky-slinky.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:48 AM   #3

It is tight under there but there might be room for the coiled hose if you shorten it. I would be concerned that water feed would make reaching the black tank pull handle nearly impossible. Just a thought and I would have to look, but maybe there is room to leave your slinky connected all the time stored towards the front of the 3" outlet and you could put a cap on the slinky. It won't get rinsed every time so it would hold a little gray water.

Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
It is tight under there but there might be room for the coiled hose if you shorten it. I would be concerned that water feed would make reaching the black tank pull handle nearly impossible. Just a thought and I would have to look, but maybe there is room to leave your slinky connected all the time stored towards the front of the 3" outlet and you could put a cap on the slinky. It won't get rinsed every time so it would hold a little gray water.

Dave

Another idea, first, affix some sort of handle to the sewer drain pipe cap to facilitate removal. Second, when preparing to dump, remove cap and attach a 4-6 inch clear extension to the drain pipe, obviating attaching slinky directly to the tight, restricted area around the original lip. Third attach sewer solution to distal end of the extension. This puts hands onto fittings away from the very restricted area around the end of the sewer pipe except for removing and reattaching the cap which will now have a handle. I believe the sewer solution and the extension and perhaps the water flush hose may store in the adjacent available space.
Thinking about electric dump valves, too.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
Another idea, first, affix some sort of handle to the sewer drain pipe cap to facilitate removal. Second, when preparing to dump, remove cap and attach a 4-6 inch clear extension to the drain pipe, obviating attaching slinky directly to the tight, restricted area around the original lip. Third attach sewer solution to distal end of the extension. This puts hands onto fittings away from the very restricted area around the end of the sewer pipe except for removing and reattaching the cap which will now have a handle. I believe the sewer solution and the extension and perhaps the water flush hose may store in the adjacent available space.
Thinking about electric dump valves, too.

PS: there is no way room to leave slinky attached and close the access door, maybe an inch between sewer cap and door, if that much. Leaving sewer solution attached would require shortening the sewer drain pipe, it is about 6-7 rnches long. I am very reluctant to do this as viewing and reaching. Into this space is difficult because of the very low location. One would have to be laying on the ground to see into the space.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #6

I put these quick connects, https://www.amazon.com/No-Leaks-Pres...t+hose+fitting, on all my hose fittings. I just have to remember to remove the half on the campground spigot. They make it so much easier and faster to deal with the hoses on my hands. There is also this hose grip, J Wright Concepts Hose-Grip, and a cable grip, RV Cable Grip Kit with Installation Tool, that is very easy for hands. You might try this sewer hose, https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-1218.../dp/B01C33IV7U, it has more area to grasp.then get some of this amazing grip tape, https://www.amazon.com/GT-5000-strip...stol+grip+tape, and wrap it so its even easier for your hands to hold on to.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
As an alternative you might look into a macerator solution, something like Sanicon or one of their competitors.
Hook it up once and then there is a MUCH smaller permanently mounted hose to work with when it comes time to empty the tanks.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I completely understand the problem with the arthritic hands. I sometimes struggle with that as well. The easiest solution is to continue to use the standard hose and get some mechanical advantage to attach and loosen the hose. A strap wrench works very well for this. You can pick up a couple at Harbor Freight for under $10.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I completely understand the problem with the arthritic hands. I sometimes struggle with that as well. The easiest solution is to continue to use the standard hose and get some mechanical advantage to attach and loosen the hose. A strap wrench works very well for this. You can pick up a couple at Harbor Freight for under $10.

I do have a couple of strap wrenches and had tried this solution. There just isn't enough room to attach and rotate one of these. Haven't I seen ads for a cap with a handle?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #10

I wonder if you use a larger 45 degree adapter like this:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Rhino...-p/88-9847.htm

if it would be easier to put onto the fitting on the tank because it is easier to grip and then hooking your hose up would at least be out from the compartment so you can get better access.

I think it would fit because the angle could be pointed forward so it won't hit the lip on the bottom of the compartment.

Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
I do have a couple of strap wrenches and had tried this solution. There just isn't enough room to attach and rotate one of these. Haven't I seen ads for a cap with a handle?
Buy a cap and fasten your own handle to it. A small block of wood or a piece of angle aluminum could be screwed on through the cap. Use caulk to make it watertight.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Dave, thanks, good idea, I have been thinking about something like this, even a straight extension would give more leverage for attaching to the sewer pipe and get hands away from narrow, tight connection.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #13

I use a 45 degree clear adapter on my sewage outlet & leave it in place when I travel. Makes connection easier and no "surprises" when taking black cap off the opening. Also use a short piece of garden hose (about 18") to get freshwater connection down through the little trap door in the bottom of the cabinet and then out a bit where I can reach it.
ilpnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilpnw View Post
I use a 45 degree clear adapter on my sewage outlet & leave it in place when I travel. Makes connection easier and no "surprises" when taking black cap off the opening. Also use a short piece of garden hose (about 18") to get freshwater connection down through the little trap door in the bottom of the cabinet and then out a bit where I can reach it.

Ilpnw, your reply confuses me a bit. There is no way that I can leave a 45 degree adapter in place and close the access door to the utility compartment. Do you have a Winnebago ERA? Also there is no "trap door" in the bottom of my utility compartment. Nevertheless, your solutions do address my problems exactly.