Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #1

soundproofing ideas? class C road noise Engine rattle?

Do you guys have any ideas on how to quiet the road noise a bit? My batteries are under the step of my 24 footer. There is a lid on a hinge to access the batteries that is wood and there is a rubber gasket around the edges of where it closes. Would something like soundproofing foam you see in music studios help? Is that foam meant to keep the sound in or out? I thought that it keeps it in so that when you play you don't bother people on the other side of the wall. Could I apply this to road noise?

Another question as well. I have a rattling noise which seems to be coming from under the defrost vents, but lower like it is from the engine. It isn't pinging. It is like a bunch of pocket change in a tray lol. I took the radio out and poked around but nothing. It happens under heavy acceleration and at certain rpm ranges. Exhaust heat deflectors down below? dash? I've basically punched down on the dash as it happens and it doesn't even phase it so I think it's lower down in the motor somewhere. Any ideas would be appreciated. I was thinking of removing the interior shroud and driving around with someone but in short of doing that.....
nehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
nehuge, for under your step you can install Dynamat or a similar product. It is basically a heavy tar-like mat with a self adhesive backing. It is used commonly in the automotive field for the very thing you want to do. I used the product on an older gas coach under the dog house. The dash: I've completely taken apart a dash before over a similar noise. I ended up re-installing the dash with heavy rubber shims/spacers between any part I could. It worked (80%) but what a pain.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

The aircraft industry has some killer soundproofing materials... Try this major supplier...
Soundproofing from Aircraft Spruce
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #4

I know this is an older post, but, I did a search of the forum and this thread came up.

We recently purchased a Fleetwood Icon 24A with the Sprinter Diesel Chassis and although it is "better" than my in-laws Class C in terms of stock noise, I am also going to go the extra mile and attempt to reduce the noise for a quieter highway ride. After all, we spend a lot of miles in this thing and comfortable conversation as well as noise being fatiguing by itslelf are issues to consider. Also, I'm a musician, recording studio owner, and my wife and I like to listen to tunes while runnin' down the highway so minimizing noise would be a big, big plus.

I have a digital decibel meter and will let you know the difference in each application that I do.

The first thing I did was to ask Zeibart to apply an extra two coats of their rustproofing/noiseproofing undercoating compound. Not expecting much, this surprisingly reduced the noise in the driving position by 2 db immediately.

The next thing I'm doing is applying "Peel & Seal" available at Lowes in the U.S....not here in Canada !!! It's basically a cheap Dynamat alternative and many people have used it in their cars with great success. Some that have used both claim that there is almost no difference in the products. I'll apply it wherever I can...the engine compartment/firewall, underneath wherever possible..etc..

The other areas which will be more tricky are :
#1) the coach door...which rattles and squeaks like hell and many times does not seem to close properly at all (any good RV door manufacturers out there ?)
#2) the window above the diner...similarly seems awfully loose and I'm going to replace the window channels for a tighter fit.
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #5

I have given some thought on reducing the noise level in my C cab. I was thinking about a sound block glued to the inside of the cowling. Just thinking. Do not know if there is room.

http://www.acoustiblok.com/marine.php
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #6

I am definitely going to attempt this as well Garrette. However, I think I'll have to apply small segments of Peel & Seal due to the amount of components, modules, wiring, etc mounted on the cowling. This will be tricky and probably messy.
The other area of some importance is the hood ! According to some professionals in the biz, one of the areas that is often overlooked and really needs to be addressed. Evidently a significant amount of noise and resonance comes thru and eminates from the hood.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #7

The hood. Had not thought about that part. Good idea and worth thinking about. Thanks for the suggestion.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #8

We put sound proofing foam on the inside of our dog house (class A) and it worked well. You could do something similar on the inside of your hood and between the engine compartment and cab if there is room.

1994 Brave 29RQ RV: Doghouse sound proofing looks great
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I totally understand the noise thing! That being said, I sold my class C this year and bought a diesel pusher. Don't waste your time trying to sound proof. Get a class A diesel, the air ride is worth it alone!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

micd...I'm assuming that you used the closed cell foam product in conjunction with the "mass loaded vinyl" to get the maximum effect ? ....just sayin' that closed cell foam, by itself, though an "absorber"(mostly of some high frequencies and mids...not much low end absorption), will not provide much of a "barrier." You need density and mass....thus their recommendation to use the mass loaded vinyl.

Yeah...getting a class A diesel is not in our cards for a l-o-n-g while.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #11

Hi 88keys,

We did only the 1 inch closed cell foam. It did a great job. The cab is quiet and comfortable.Of course we had the low hanging fruit area of the dog house. It also prevents the engine heat from coming through which makes it easier to keep it cool and comfortable when driving.

I'm trying to think of when I do notice the engine. I would say I can hear it when going up a steep incline. We live in CO so happen across those from time to time.

Good luck with what ever your decision. I don't think you will regret your efforts. It is much more relaxing to drive and ride in a quiet vehicle.

Cheers!
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
micd...I'm assuming that you used the closed cell foam product in conjunction with the "mass loaded vinyl" to get the maximum effect ? ....just sayin' that closed cell foam, by itself, though an "absorber"(mostly of some high frequencies and mids...not much low end absorption), will not provide much of a "barrier." You need density and mass....thus their recommendation to use the mass loaded vinyl.

Yeah...getting a class A diesel is not in our cards for a l-o-n-g while.

I understand the not in the cards for a long time thing. It wasn't for me either. I would check craigslist every other day out of curiosity. Then I found the one I have now for really short money. They are out there you just have to be patient it took me almost a year to find mine.