Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelino View Post
I have a 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer on a 2019 Sprinter 3500 chassis.
I have about 10,000 miles on it, since I bought it new at the end of May of this year.

On our first major trip, on the last leg of that trip, the driver's side bolt that attaches the rear sway bar to the chassis frame vertical support came out when we used our leveling jacks. When we got home, we had our local Mercedes dealer replace the nut and bolt. The passenger side nut and bolt were checked by both myself and the dealer and were snug. This all happened around 5,000 miles. I decided this was a fluke at the time.

This past week, we had the passenger's side nut and bolt come out. I don't know exactly where it happened, so I don't have either the nut or the bolt. Now, I don't think this is just a one-up incident, but perhaps a design problem.

We find our Wayfarer has a lot of side to side sway anyway, but I can tell you if one side of the sway bar detaches, it is down-right dangerous, with excessive sway in wind, or even on a surface that has some dips.

I noticed that the 2019 Sprinter sway bar attachment is different than previous year models. The prior models have a "U" shaped vertical leg that attaches to the frame and the end of the sway bar. I attached a picture of a prior 2019 model I found on the web. In this case, the sway bar rides on the "shaft" of the bolt. The 2019 models, eliminated the "U" in the attachment leg and now the two components, the end of the sway bar, and the end of the support piece are simply bolted together. The fasteners are a flange bolt and a flange locking nut. In reading about the locking flange nut, I learned that its the torque force of the nut against the surface that is primary in keeping it from detaching. I am concerned that these two pieces being attached this way, are in constant motion and may be a cause for the nut to come loose.

I am hoping that those of you that have a 2019 model Sprinter, can take a look at your rear sway bar and see if they are still snug. Also, mine were attached so the nut is to the outside, that is facing the wheel and the bolt is on the interior side. Please let me know if your setup is the same way.

I do plan to make additional inquires about this and will let you know what I find out. I'm also considering a Helwig sway bar for better control, but for the 2019 model, the new Helwig sway bar uses the same attachments provided by Sprinter, so if this is a problem it would also effect the Helwig.

Picture 1 is a pre-2019 Sprinter showing how the support arm is attached (gotten off the web). Picture 2 is my driver's side with the replacement bolt that Mercedes installed. Picture 3 is my passenger side after I found this side also lost its bolt last week. I temporarily installed a bolt and nut till I can get the proper nut and bolt from Mercedes.
Travelino, I shared this on Wayfarer Owners Facebook page. Folks started checking, I think we've seen a half dozen or so confirm MIA. I went with 70 mm flange bolts and locking conical flange nuts plus blue loctite(see my pictures in thread). F14av8r went with similar 70 mm bolts, nylock lock nut and washers. I think these options make more sense than 65mm bolt. After I removed my MB bolts, checked locking nut, pretty sure this is a 1 time use as it was not very tight.
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #30

Crawling around under front end and noticed the infamous bolt and lock nut on front sway bar link. Notice 3+ threads protruding beyond nut as compared to 1 or less on rear.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200303_115744.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	276988Click image for larger version

Name:	RossLowerLinkOriginal.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	276989
Old 03-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #31

Sway bar

Just had the same problem on my 2019 3500. Initially while driving I thought the noise was coming from the sliding door area. With the MRS. driving, i located the noise around the drivers side rear. Further investigation showed the bolt was loose. Tightened it down after applying locktite.
dja06422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #32

Sprinter 2019 Alert - Rear Sway bar

Any idea what torque to tighten the nuts to?
Mel556180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel556180 View Post
Any idea what torque to tighten the nuts to?
From MB Birmingham, "Here are the bolt specs: M12 x 1.5 thread, 65 MM long and the torque is 50 newton meters (not lbs)."
Old 03-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspam View Post
From MB Birmingham, "Here are the bolt specs: M12 x 1.5 thread, 65 MM long and the torque is 50 newton meters (not lbs)."

Appreciate the info. [emoji1303]
Mel556180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #35

sent this to a friend who just came back with his new 2020 Pleasureway on the Sprinter 3500 chassis
he crawled under & this is what he sent me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprinter bolt.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	278181  
Mkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkaye View Post
sent this to a friend who just came back with his new 2020 Pleasureway on the Sprinter 3500 chassis
he crawled under & this is what he sent me
Wow, this is worse than pictures thus far. The entire bushing is coming out of link!
Old 05-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelino View Post
I have a 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer on a 2019 Sprinter 3500 chassis.
I have about 10,000 miles on it, since I bought it new at the end of May of this year.

On our first major trip, on the last leg of that trip, the driver's side bolt that attaches the rear sway bar to the chassis frame vertical support came out when we used our leveling jacks. When we got home, we had our local Mercedes dealer replace the nut and bolt. The passenger side nut and bolt were checked by both myself and the dealer and were snug. This all happened around 5,000 miles. I decided this was a fluke at the time.

This past week, we had the passenger's side nut and bolt come out. I don't know exactly where it happened, so I don't have either the nut or the bolt. Now, I don't think this is just a one-up incident, but perhaps a design problem.

We find our Wayfarer has a lot of side to side sway anyway, but I can tell you if one side of the sway bar detaches, it is down-right dangerous, with excessive sway in wind, or even on a surface that has some dips.

I noticed that the 2019 Sprinter sway bar attachment is different than previous year models. The prior models have a "U" shaped vertical leg that attaches to the frame and the end of the sway bar. I attached a picture of a prior 2019 model I found on the web. In this case, the sway bar rides on the "shaft" of the bolt. The 2019 models, eliminated the "U" in the attachment leg and now the two components, the end of the sway bar, and the end of the support piece are simply bolted together. The fasteners are a flange bolt and a flange locking nut. In reading about the locking flange nut, I learned that its the torque force of the nut against the surface that is primary in keeping it from detaching. I am concerned that these two pieces being attached this way, are in constant motion and may be a cause for the nut to come loose.

I am hoping that those of you that have a 2019 model Sprinter, can take a look at your rear sway bar and see if they are still snug. Also, mine were attached so the nut is to the outside, that is facing the wheel and the bolt is on the interior side. Please let me know if your setup is the same way.

I do plan to make additional inquires about this and will let you know what I find out. I'm also considering a Helwig sway bar for better control, but for the 2019 model, the new Helwig sway bar uses the same attachments provided by Sprinter, so if this is a problem it would also effect the Helwig.

Picture 1 is a pre-2019 Sprinter showing how the support arm is attached (gotten off the web). Picture 2 is my driver's side with the replacement bolt that Mercedes installed. Picture 3 is my passenger side after I found this side also lost its bolt last week. I temporarily installed a bolt and nut till I can get the proper nut and bolt from Mercedes.
MB has figured this out appears. This Wayfarer owner decided to check and both bolts were MIA. I was informed by the MB rep for Tiffin that the replacements were being inserted such that the lock nut seats on the bushing in the link arm vs the flat of the swaybar. This picture after service verifies bolt insertion as well as a longer bolt! Yay!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200510-202724_Gallery.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	284971
Old 05-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #38

Rosspam,
Thanks for the post letting us know that MB now reverses the nut and head of the bolt. it makes one wonder how detailed their engineering is. Unfortunately, I installed the Helwig sway bar and did use longer bolts, but put the nut back like the original. I'll have to keep an eye on them to see if they loosen, but since they were installed with locktite per Helwig instructions (generic for all their swaybars), I'll monitor mine for now. With things pretty much shut down for camping and travel right now, I'm not really able to use my RV,l except for a short local drive now and then.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #39

Does anyone know if there is a technical service bulletin or anything issued by Mercedes for this issue? I asked my dealer about it, and he said he has not heard of the problem and said he would research but I have not heard back.
maasthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #40

You can add me to the list. After reading this thread (by pure chance) I went out and checked and sure enough the passenger side bolt was missing. Based on the last picture I need to look at everything underneath.
dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #41

The Tiffin Wayfarer Facebook group has posted a lot on this issue, with good pictures. if you are not a member, check it out. I think the group name is "tiffin wayfarer owners". there is also a "tiffin wayfarer lifestyle" group.
maasthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #42

Took my Sprinter in to the MB dealership to have a new bolt installed. After it was done the service rep said he had just gotten a sheet concerning the bolts not having enough threads. So now MB is aware of the issue and of course warranty work.
dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway bar