Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
Sprinter 3500 chassis for towing

In November I will be receiving my new 2019 LTV U24CB built on a 2018 sprinter chassis and plan on pulling an enclosed trailer with a Can Am Spyder (About 3000 lbs gross weight).

Any thoughts by folks with experience as to trailer type, requirements for the moho, i.e., brake controller, hitch type? Also, the results folks have had towing, especially the fuel mileage, ability to ascend mountains, or any advice one wishes to offer would be most appreciated.

Many thanks...
Past RV's: Three Airstreams, 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #2

I think you can add a WDH to just about any towing situation if you wanted to, and I would imagine state/provincial laws would determine whether auxiliary braking systems are required, depending on the size/shape/weight of whatever you plan on towing. Check with the places you plan on driving/towing through.
I lose about 1-2 mpg pulling a 4300lb Wrangler with my 2018 Navion. Without it, I'm averaging around 15.7mpg on reasonably flat roads, some head/cross winds, some gentler grades, variable traffic and road conditions, average speed 63mph. Haven't tackled anything really challenging yet, towing-wise.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #3

I get 16+ mpg with my Prism not towing and typically 14-15 dolly towing a Chevy Sonic - dolly and Sonic weigh about 3400lbs. The last time I used the CAT scales I was at 14250lbs.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #4

Hi, I have 2017 Sprinter Chassis with 2108 Thor Siesta, maxed out weight-wise with two slide-outs. Anyway, I towed a 12 X 7 enclosed with UTV and had about 2700# gross weight. Went from Denver to Las Vegas with multiple stops in southern Utah. Had brake controller installed but never worked correctly so went 2000 miles without. MH did well on Eisenhauer and Vail passes as I geared down so didn't ride brakes so much. Mileage was about 2-3 less than usual and wind intensity and direction play large roll, especially on hard sided trailers with MH also acting like sail. Anyway, you should be fine hauling your unit; only thing that might make a difference would be to switch to open/flat trailer for better aerodynamics and a little less weight---but then your toy might get dirty/dinged!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Call your coach manufacturer and get the proper information whether or not you can use a weight distribution hitch. Probably not. Get all of the proper tow information at the same time - max. hitch weight allowed, is there a brake controller that will work with the Sprinter electronics, total towing weight allowed.

I think you are going to be disappointed. You may get away with an all aluminum oprn trailer with surge braking - as long as your total weight is no more than 4000 lbs or so.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
From the research that I have done, Sprinters do not seem to have a brake controller pigtail like most vehicles. You will have to wire all of it yourself, including a brake pedal switch to run the controller.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #7

Re: Brake Controller (BC) for 2017 Sprinter. Went to MB dealer and they said they needed 10+ hours at $159/hour to hook up (already bought) BC due to cluelessness of wiring????? Went to local Diesel shop and they spent 5 hours wiring harness and brake controller switch. BC never worked properly as I left for 2000 mile trip the next day. Called Thor and they sent me to Thor dealer in Colorado Springs who ripped out old wiring and wired up for a little less than $300 but have yet to hook onto trailer to test although I assume it should work. For safety reasons, I'd have BC installed if your trailer has electric brakes.

Re: Climbing hills with trailer on back. No problem going up Vail Pass, just slow---probably down to 40mph.

Another quick thought: If your trailer is not V at front, make sure it will clear back ladder on MH when doing hard turn. If not, then buy longer hitch bar or hitch extension.

Good luck.
Paul

Tags
chassis, tow, towing