Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #1

Exclamation Sprinter 3500 oil and DEF Manual specs confusion

I have a 3500 Sprinter Winnebago View V 2013 model. The Mercedes 20013 maintenance manual p9 states change engine oil and oil filter every 15000 miles. Check and add DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) every 15000 miles.

However the check oil warning comes on at 10000 miles and the mercedes call in rep verifies 10000 miles is correct. This resulted in much confusion on a long trip where there was no nearby within 500 miles of a certified mercedes facility.

The DEF light came on a about 3700 miles with the warning that at 0.8 gallons remaining, there are 18 restarts where upon you can not restart the engine. In the main operator manual pg 321, you find the DEF reservoir may vary. 3.2, 4.9, and 5.8 gallons on various equipment. As were were in south west Texas in the desert areas this was a real concern; fortunately a station had a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF ($22, got ya!) and I could refill the DEF tank. I now fill up DEF before each trip, and carry additional DEF with me on long trips. A DEF 2.5 gallon jug is about $12 at Walmart.
So beware, Winnebago should make this plain to buyers of Views
Jembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #2

I do not know if the sprinters are the same.

Most computer controlled items track; idle time, RPMs, temperature, air... from that a change period is calculated.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #3

2013 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 cab chassis produced for RV conversion with the small DEF tank in the engine compartment; oil change every 10,000 miles and DEF fill about every 4,000 to 5,000 miles.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Based on the tread I checked into my and added about 2 gallons. However, I had service done on it in pass two months. I spoke with the service rep if this was a check done by them and if so how do they check if there is no dipstick. He said by the on board computer. I guess the computer will report only when is very low. For now on this is going to be a regular check for me.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #5

When the DEF light goes on you have 500 (RV on cab chassis) to 1000 miles to fill the tank before the 16 start countdown begins which eventually leads to a vehicle that will not start.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
Old 06-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jembo View Post
I have a 3500 Sprinter Winnebago View V 2013 model. The Mercedes 20013 maintenance manual p9 states change engine oil and oil filter every 15000 miles. Check and add DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) every 15000 miles.

However the check oil warning comes on at 10000 miles and the mercedes call in rep verifies 10000 miles is correct. This resulted in much confusion on a long trip where there was no nearby within 500 miles of a certified mercedes facility.

The DEF light came on a about 3700 miles with the warning that at 0.8 gallons remaining, there are 18 restarts where upon you can not restart the engine. In the main operator manual pg 321, you find the DEF reservoir may vary. 3.2, 4.9, and 5.8 gallons on various equipment. As were were in south west Texas in the desert areas this was a real concern; fortunately a station had a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF ($22, got ya!) and I could refill the DEF tank. I now fill up DEF before each trip, and carry additional DEF with me on long trips. A DEF 2.5 gallon jug is about $12 at Walmart.
So beware, Winnebago should make this plain to buyers of Views
My DEF warning came on yesterday while I was on I-81 just North of the Maryland State line. I had to stop to find out what the icon meant. I stopped at a truck plaza and then had to walk the 20 yards or so to pickup some DEF. I paid $14.95 for 2.2 gallons of ISO 22241 spec DEF.

The container was 2.2 gallons. The tank in the Sprinter took almost all of it.

I have seen DEF offered at fuel pumps at truck stops for $2.80 per gallon. I'll look for that next time.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #7

Not to hijack your thread, but I just wanted to point out to DEF users that there is a scam going on where someone buys some DEF from usually Walmart and then after using the fluid, fills it back up with plain water and then returns it saying they bought too much or something. It winds up back on the shelf and some unsuspecting guy winds up putting 2.5 gallons of water in his DEF tank. Not good. So watch the seals on the containers you buy before putting it in the tank. If it looks tampered with in any way, check it out.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #8

A good reason to not buy DEF at Walmart.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Commercial Member

How to tell if it is DEF in a Jug (takes some time):

Agitate the jug before removing cap to wet inside of cap. Remove cap and allow to dry for 5 minutes or so. White crystals will form when the fluid evaporates if the fluid in the container is DEF.

Buying bulk DEF at truck stops saves money over buying retail Jugs and assures you of good fresh DEF. We offer rugged and reusable DEFJUGs that have been tested for DEF compatibility and reusability for 100 fills, AND 6 ft. drop testing. They include a nice flexible spout. These are specifically designed for filling at bulk dispensers and for carrying in your vehicle.

Using emptied retail jugs also works, but the caps often have paper seals that degrade over time and they can be damaged easily.

Whatever container you use, we recommend using it for DEF only and keeping it clean and always capped when not in use.

Erich

Tags
manual