Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #1

Sprinter Considerations

I hear a lot of concerns about Sprinter repairs; not so much about specific issues or frequency, but more about expense and the paucity of shops that can do the work.

If you own a Sprinter, how serious is this concern? How has it affected your travels?

And as these forums so often give excessive voice to negative experiences, I'd love to hear from satisfied owners too. Is it reliable? Comfortable? Easy to drive?
shassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Repairs? Hmmm, can’t really offer an opinion because we've never needed any.

We are on our third diesel Sprinter (all purchased new, all Winnebago coaches) and have never needed a repair. Put about 70,000 miles on our first, a 2006 View with the in-line 5 cylinder. Put perhaps 25,000 miles on our second, a 2012 Navion, a V6. Currently have a 2018 View, a V6 and have about 20,000 miles on it so far. We have never been shy about traveling anywhere ... in fact love the Wild Wild West and wide open spaces. Our toad follows us almost always, but be advised you need to be sure whatever you tow doesn’t exceed the overall gross limits of the Sprinter machine (think light).

Reliable? All three have been for us.

Comfortable? Had a Class A diesel pusher for about four years in this mix, prefer the Sprinter. I do wish the drivers seat had an arm rest on the left side, actually added one to our 2006 View.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:21 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing. I understand they are reliable and go a long time between service intervals, but on the rare occasion you do need service it can be hard to find.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I do wish the drivers seat had an arm rest on the left side, actually added one to our 2006 View.
That's my biggest complaint so far, but I've only put about 12k miles on it so far.

Oh, and the weak sway bar, but that's on my list of spring prep - the heavier Hellwig sway bar, which is 1.50" dia. vs the standard, which is 1.25" dia. Way too much rock-n-roll coming out of gas stations and getting knocked about by truck wash and such.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #5

Agree with SeeTheUSA. Including the armrest.
No major issues to date, just over 30,000 miles on it and only had Service A done so far. Great fuel economy, and comfortable to drive and live in. No problems yet, and I guess I'm used to big rig "bow wash". The curb roll can be bad depending on how you approach or leave a driveway/parking lot/etc..
Keep in mind, when the Ford folks start talking about "there's a Ford dealer and parts on every corner" not all those Ford dealerships can handle a 30 foot class C or larger class A motorhome, based simply on the size of their shops, so it's not all rainbows and unicorns for them either. But yes, the Sprinter capable shops are probably a little harder to find in certain areas of the continent. Keep the scheduled maintenance up to date, and they'll serve you well.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
That's my biggest complaint so far, but I've only put about 12k miles on it so far.

Oh, and the weak sway bar, but that's on my list of spring prep - the heavier Hellwig sway bar, which is 1.50" dia. vs the standard, which is 1.25" dia. Way too much rock-n-roll coming out of gas stations and getting knocked about by truck wash and such.
Thanks for the input. What year is your Sprinter? I've heard the 2019 sway bar is better. Can anyone verify?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Agree with SeeTheUSA. Including the armrest.
No major issues to date, just over 30,000 miles on it and only had Service A done so far. Great fuel economy, and comfortable to drive and live in. No problems yet, and I guess I'm used to big rig "bow wash". The curb roll can be bad depending on how you approach or leave a driveway/parking lot/etc..
Keep in mind, when the Ford folks start talking about "there's a Ford dealer and parts on every corner" not all those Ford dealerships can handle a 30 foot class C or larger class A motorhome, based simply on the size of their shops, so it's not all rainbows and unicorns for them either. But yes, the Sprinter capable shops are probably a little harder to find in certain areas of the continent. Keep the scheduled maintenance up to date, and they'll serve you well.
Good thought. Some places won't touch an RV, regardless of chassis.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shassel View Post
Thanks for the input. What year is your Sprinter? I've heard the 2019 sway bar is better. Can anyone verify?
There was a very recent thread here where someone upgraded a 2019 or 2020 Sprinter sway bar, and it was 1.38" dia. while the Hellwig is 1.50" dia.

Mine is a 2017 model year, and has a 1.25" dia. sway bar. The 1.50" dia. bar is around twice as stiff in torsion as my original, while the later model upgrade is only about 40% stiffer, because it's already stiffer than the one on the earlier models. If the sizes I've mentioned are correct, of course.

I'll see if I can find that thread.

Edit: Here it is. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f280/spr...ar-470817.html
Old 03-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shassel View Post

The 2019 Is a new generation vehicle and has a different sway bar attachments.
Mel556180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #10

Anyone know if the 2020 Winnebago View is on the Mercedes-Benz 2500, or 3500 chassis?
Old 03-06-2020, 04:49 AM   #11

Definitely the dual rear wheeled 3500 chassis, 11,030lb GVWR.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
2016 Siesta Sprinter (Thor) 52,000 miles. Only Warranty repairs have been wheel speed sensors. Routine maintenance 20K mile oil change, includes fuel filter and a number of checks, at about $400. (a little less at a Freightliner shop than Mercedes dealer). The 40,000 service adds brake system and transmission flush and about doubles the price. Service has not been hard to find, but you have to locate either a Mercedes dealer or Freightliner shop with equipment to service Sprinter chassis.
Easy to drive and comfortable even on long days, I have not had the sway problems except leaving off camber ramps. Previous RV was a 36ft DP..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
Definitely the dual rear wheeled 3500 chassis, 11,030lb GVWR.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2020, 02:17 AM   #14

Sounds like mostly positive experiences. Thanks.

Tags
sprinter