Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #29

Any idea what is the best scanner to buy? And without a scanner how would you clear the line to the dosing valve?
thomasd923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #30

We recently got our Sprinter back from Mercedes for the third time, with the assurance from service that they had found the elusive problem. First time in, I had suggested that I thought it was a fuel pressure sensor problem, the sensor was replaced the second time in, and the problem was not solved. After being towed the second time, they really put all their resources into fixing it, and it turned out to be the wiring associated with the fuel pressure sensor. Seems the wiring was loosely connected, and they "staked" it at both ends. They drove the unit 80 miles testing it this time, and assured us it was fixed. It appears at this time that the problem is solved !! We are driving it daily on trips about town, other short trips to nearby towns, and it has worked perfectly so far. As an added bonus, for some reason our fuel mileage has increased about 20%, too. We're planning a trip to Alaska next year, and want to be sure that the problem is solved before departure.
Mike
mike in tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
Lindenengine:
If I drive my motorhome once a month, say for 25-40 miles during periods of "storage", will this prevent crystalization problems with the DEF?
Hello Camper Ken.
Well the fluid has a 2 year shelf life if obtained from a quality source but is affected by high ambient heat and freezing conditions remember.

I think a regular run should stir things up and keep deposits in suspension but ensuring the filler neck is clean of deposits when you fill will help.
With all that stated I have had several Sprinter based RV's that have had semi choked themselves up and I see that my local MB dealer and parts supplier is offering 10,000 mile interval tank flushes after I mentioned it!

Shop revenue marketing or PM potential issue I will leave you to conclude that but I don't generally see this problem on regular vans.
In any case the incidence is low so I wouldn't worry too much, just keep this flush remedy in mind should you have a DEF tank fluid dispensing issue.
All the Best and Merry Christmas
Dennis
lindenengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasd923 View Post
Any idea what is the best scanner to buy? And without a scanner how would you clear the line to the dosing valve?
Well any scanner that can do this type of work has to be bi-directional.
The DEF or Ad Blue system is outside the OBD2 edict.
Hence its intellectual info you do have to pay for it!

Some training might be necessary to understand how it works and the pressures developed etc.

The top of the pile would be a Star Scan the official MB scanner one would set you back about $30,000 with an annual update fee! You will also need to to subscribe to MB shop info which you can buy on a time interval basis.

The next best would be Autologic at about $15,000 with annual updates around $1500. Included in this fee is technical support! So in short they would run you though the basis of diagnosis and fix for this money.

The next would be Snap On which would have most of the programs if you have it loaded with the latest updates. You can get training, if you are willing to attend some of Snap On's excellent tech training courses for very nominal fees if not often free!
Consult Snap On tool truck for a trade in! Expect to pay around $1000 to $1500 for say a used Solus Pro! Updates are about $800 per annum

Now after that you drop into entry level mechanics sector so an Autel Maxidas takes some beating but it won't do it all! The costs around $1000 so you can't ask for too much and in short you only get what you pay for!
Hope that helps
Dennis
Old 02-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #33

2012 Itasca Navion. Sprinter 3500 chassis. We have had problem after problem since we bought it. Just finding anyone capable/willing of working on Sprinter (while we travel) has been a complete nightmare. There were three seperate occasions when we had to cover hundreds of miles in limp mode. One Saturday morning in northern New Mexico and still under warranty we were told we could be towed all the way to Southern Texas(!) - completely out of the way but then would have to wait till Monday for the shop to be open. After driving for miles and miles toward our home in Arkansas, we were finally towed to Oklahoma City. Had to rent a car to go home and come back again (hundreds of miles) to get RV few days later. On another occasion we were stuck again for five days in the same Freightliner place while waiting for a wheel sensor. With two dogs and no other form of transportation! Instead of spending our vacation in the mountains of Colorado, we spend it in the suburbs of Oklahoma City!

And, today we are dealing with another major issue while on vacation in Florida. Cannot afford to wait here for another week so we rented car and driving home. Could not find Mercedes certified place so we are just in one men shop hoping he can fix it.

We will never buy another Mercedes.
Marysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysia View Post
2012 Itasca Navion. Sprinter 3500 chassis. We have had problem after problem since we bought it. Just finding anyone capable/willing of working on Sprinter (while we travel) has been a complete nightmare. There were three seperate occasions when we had to cover hundreds of miles in limp mode. One Saturday morning in northern New Mexico and still under warranty we were told we could be towed all the way to Southern Texas(!) - completely out of the way but then would have to wait till Monday for the shop to be open. After driving for miles and miles toward our home in Arkansas, we were finally towed to Oklahoma City. Had to rent a car to go home and come back again (hundreds of miles) to get RV few days later. On another occasion we were stuck again for five days in the same Freightliner place while waiting for a wheel sensor. With two dogs and no other form of transportation! Instead of spending our vacation in the mountains of Colorado, we spend it in the suburbs of Oklahoma City!

And, today we are dealing with another major issue while on vacation in Florida. Cannot afford to wait here for another week so we rented car and driving home. Could not find Mercedes certified place so we are just in one men shop hoping he can fix it.

We will never buy another Mercedes.
Marysia
A frustrating problem for sure.
I answered your post on the Sprinter forums about this issue and the advice I gave you.

As you have discovered dealers do not keep wheel speed sensors in stock for the most part and very rarely for the 3500 platform variant.
I have one for every Sprinter since 2002 on the shelf for this reason alone!

Convenient dealer service support for the Sprinter is patchy across the USA made worse by a 9 to 5 office culture of 5 days a week. Some will work on Sprinter some will not!
In Denver there are 4 dealers if you count the one near Ft Collins! The one in the Downtown refuses to deal with the rig in any way whatsoever.
Parts are a problem, I face it daily although in the realm of things MB is no better or worse than many other vehicle manufacturers.

Overall I don't think the MB sprinter is a bad or defective rig, again no better or worse than any other brand, Of course in some circles its regarded as something quite superior and not needing regular competent service.
And on that score I will state my oft expression
Remember dealers, any dealer, any brand, is only as good as the folk that work within them.
All the best
Dennis
Old 02-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #35

Marisa, thanks for posting,
Sorry for your troubles.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #36

Trouble Report with Sprinter Mercedes

We bought a 2015 Thor Siesta 24SR in June 2015. We have not had any problems with engine, drive train or electronics. Many problems with Thor. Don't get me started. We average about 16mpg, over 3000 miles. Have really enjoyed the unit. We are not towing, but plan to next year. One of the things we like about the C Sprinter is that you can disconnect and go into town for dinner with no major problems. Sounds like many have had other issues. Maybe my time will come but so far, we like the Sprinter.
Traveldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #37

Def problem #4

It's me again. I have an appointment next Monday @ MB and I need some advice. It's my 4th time in with the def problem. Here's the history

1. Previous owners replaced one Noc sensor at 1000 miles. Of course, we didn't know this when we bought it used at 6,000 miles.

2. At about 6800 miles check engine and def light went on. Drove 200 miles to flagstaff. They did a computer update.

3. 50 miles later, it came on again. We drove it to riverside. They did a newer software update. They drove it 70 miles to make sure it worked.

4. On our way up to Nevada it came on again at about 7700 miles. I topped off the def. it took about half of one of the boxes. After a few starts the next day the def light went off, but the check engine light stayed on. I have an appointment in Rocklin, ca on Monday at MB.

What should I expect next? I'm thinking they need to replace the other Noc sensor. I've read folks said you need to replace both at the same time. If that's true, do they need to replace both now, or just the one which hasn't ever been replaced.

It has 8,000 miles. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Love my new Rv, but the sad thing is we've hardly driven it without the check engine light on. Thanks for your ideas.
dlarsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarsell View Post
It's me again. I have an appointment next Monday @ MB and I need some advice. It's my 4th time in with the def problem. Here's the history

1. Previous owners replaced one Noc sensor at 1000 miles. Of course, we didn't know this when we bought it used at 6,000 miles.

2. At about 6800 miles check engine and def light went on. Drove 200 miles to flagstaff. They did a computer update.

3. 50 miles later, it came on again. We drove it to riverside. They did a newer software update. They drove it 70 miles to make sure it worked.

4. On our way up to Nevada it came on again at about 7700 miles. I topped off the def. it took about half of one of the boxes. After a few starts the next day the def light went off, but the check engine light stayed on. I have an appointment in Rocklin, ca on Monday at MB.

What should I expect next? I'm thinking they need to replace the other Noc sensor. I've read folks said you need to replace both at the same time. If that's true, do they need to replace both now, or just the one which hasn't ever been replaced.

It has 8,000 miles. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Love my new Rv, but the sad thing is we've hardly driven it without the check engine light on. Thanks for your ideas.

This is not unusual.
There have been many updates to the system.
First the salient issue has been progamming of the Adblue DEF fluid injection, which in turn causes condensation in the system and this causes cracking of the NOx sensors' ceramic body. The only fix is to replace them.

Nox sensors are about $450 each, some shops have been swapping them from front to back, but each sensor has a computer file reporting to the PCM. Hence you can clear the CEL but after a few driving cycles the light comes on again.
There is a lot of teach in requirements and checking of the ADBlue system as a whole. Currently the light will stay off to around 800 miles of use then come on--frustrating many an owner and mechanic alike!

Remember dealers and their tech staff are only as goods as the folk that work in them.

The jury is out at the moment as to whether MB have got it right this time.
All the best
Dennis
Mechanic
Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #39

Navion PDI checklist?

Hi All,
Hope I'm not too off-topic. Can someone point me to a good pre-delivery list to use? I'm buying a 2016 Navion (24J) soon and want to avoid all the troubles if possible. Thanks in advance.
RVNewbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengine View Post
I find crystal separation is common on RV's due to lay up times; hence I recommend a tank flush at the start of the driving season.
Cheers Dennis
How do you drain or flush the DEF tank?

2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST-- the chassis is a 2015 6cyl.
With 10200 miles since June I have had no problems with the engine or chassis. Some minor problems with the "house' parts but all repaired by dealer. Thor has been very helpful.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
How do you drain or flush the DEF tank?

2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST-- the chassis is a 2015 6cyl.
With 10200 miles since June I have had no problems with the engine or chassis. Some minor problems with the "house' parts but all repaired by dealer. Thor has been very helpful.
You can drain the tank by disconnecting a hose stub found under the tank about 2/3rds back from the front.
It has a pinch type socket!
Simply have a catch tray ready and separate it with some eye wear protection on (Just in case) and that connector is about 9 inches out from the bottom elbow attached to the tank floor.
All the best
Dennis
Snr Tuercas Viejas!
Old 05-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengine View Post
This is not unusual.
There have been many updates to the system.
First the salient issue has been progamming of the Adblue DEF fluid injection, which in turn causes condensation in the system and this causes cracking of the NOx sensors' ceramic body. The only fix is to replace them.

Nox sensors are about $450 each, some shops have been swapping them from front to back, but each sensor has a computer file reporting to the PCM. Hence you can clear the CEL but after a few driving cycles the light comes on again.
There is a lot of teach in requirements and checking of the ADBlue system as a whole. Currently the light will stay off to around 800 miles of use then come on--frustrating many an owner and mechanic alike!

Remember dealers and their tech staff are only as goods as the folk that work in them.

The jury is out at the moment as to whether MB have got it right this time.
All the best
Dennis
Mechanic
Wanted to update you on the 2014 navion def problem. Seems mb replaced both Noc sensors March. 2014 at 1400 miles . Rocklin Mercedes researched the part numbers and discovered they were recalled Noc sensors so it didn't fix the problem. They went to bat for me and replaced both Noc sensors. I hope this will do the trick.
I have 8500 miles now. The mechanic pointed out substantial wear on the inside of my front tires. He said Winnebago doesn't realign the tires after they add the Rv to the chassis. The weight in the back lifts the front tires up a bit and changes the alignment. They recommended I go to a business that specializes in Rv wheel alignment .
Hoping when I get this done I'll be ready to roll.
Thanks for your advice . It helped me push forward towards a solution.
dlarsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tribute