Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #43

I'm dropping off my Sprinter for the 4th time for the CEL code SCR below threshold...this is getting old!
thomasd923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasd923 View Post
I'm dropping off my Sprinter for the 4th time for the CEL code SCR below threshold...this is getting old!
You didn't state what year!
2007 to 2009 are fairly easy to remedy.
ADBlue DEF fluid systems as found on later Sprinters (2010 onward) can be a challenge even for the dealer. MB are now on their 3rd reiteration and re-flash.
Can you imagine what it is like for us Independents to nail down these problems which is why I call it ADBurr!
Dennis
lindenengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #45

lindenengine-

thomasd923's public profile states his rig is a 2011 Thor Four Winds Siesta - so it is probably on a 2010 MB Sprinter chassis.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
lindenengine-

thomasd923's public profile states his rig is a 2011 Thor Four Winds Siesta - so it is probably on a 2010 MB Sprinter chassis.
Well armed with that info the engine is most likely a CD16 version equipped with ADBlue system which of course has DEF fluid injection into the exhaust system.

The reasons for the light to come on and even warn of a 'shut down no start' condition are possible when the system goes south".

Obviously without a scan report its hard to state what might be the problem(s) but suffice to state the whole exhaust system is riddled with sensory parts to contain soot & NOx production and control it.

Ostensibly the "milestone" in corrective repairs recently was to re-program the delivery of DEF fluid into the SCR refractory unit, since condensation was found to be cracking the ceramic structure of the sensors. There are two of them! They are about $500 each!
The controlling of the system is at heart three thermo couples found in the system. There is in fact four, but forget the first one by the EGR valve for this discsussion. Each one is reporting on thermal conditions within the system.
To my knowledge these have been changed three times so part number updates are important.

The big frustration for many including the dealers is that you need about 200 mile plus of road testing to see if the whole system is functional and doesn't throw codes. Frankly who has time to drive a customer's Sprinter 200 miles plus in the drive cycles to see if the blessed lights will come on or not !
I have known several which have needed in excess of 500 miles to throw lights!

These are emissions related problems and should be covered by mandated warranty coverage to emissions control equipment.
Always be on the 'strong side' if you are asked to pay for the repair costs.
Some dealers have been charging the customer for this work which adds up to a wallet flush if you are not careful. The thermo couples alone are $200 each. It is easy to rack up a $3000 bill to fix some of this stuff.
All the best
Dennis
Mechanic
Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #47

Sorry for lack of info in my statement. Yes it is a 2010. I do have automotive experience though been out for a few years so I'm behind on the latest technology. The reoccurring code has been SCR below threshold, the dealer has reflashed it twice and just cleared the code 1st time in and last time stated nozzle was caked over from the def and cleaned the nozzle, so now light is back on again.I am still under emission warranty until July so it would be nice if they fixed it once and for all.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #48

Quote:
Sorry for lack of info in my statement. Yes it is a 2010. I do have automotive experience though been out for a few years so I'm behind on the latest technology. The reoccurring code has been SCR below threshold, the dealer has reflashed it twice and just cleared the code 1st time in and last time stated nozzle was caked over from the def and cleaned the nozzle, so now light is back on again.I am still under emission warranty until July so it would be nice if they fixed it once and for all.
You Sir are a wishful thinker!
The perfection of the system is an ongoing issue with MB.
The plugging up of the DEF injector or its total failure is somewhat common as is scorching of the wiring harness to the injector itself since it is very close to the exhaust pipe!
We did an injector pump last week and everything seemed good until --yes the 200 mile marker when the up stream thermo sensor went south!~

I call this system ADBlurr and of course it is part of an ongoing Class Action law suit .
Cheers Dennis
Old 05-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #49

Got the phone call, Sprinter is ready. He stated everything passed as this time and not sure what to do, so I politely informed him of the multiple sensor updates of which he was not aware of. He then stated he would open a case with MB and get back to me, now sensors are replaced with the latest greatest and he did another reflash. I will pick it up next Saturday.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Got the phone call, Sprinter is ready. He stated everything passed as this time and not sure what to do, so I politely informed him of the multiple sensor updates of which he was not aware of. He then stated he would open a case with MB and get back to me, now sensors are replaced with the latest greatest and he did another reflash. I will pick it up next Saturday.
Good news!
Confirms knowledge is power! Otherwise it would have been pushed out the door no doubt for another day and yet another CEL!
At least they didn't try to sell you a new transmission job at $8500, which seems to be the "unit replacement promotion at the moment" the panacea fix for all that ails a Sprinter!
Dennis
Mechanic
Old 05-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #51

SCR below threshold

Here is the diagnosis and repair
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160521_130457.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	127703  
Old 05-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Here is the diagnosis and repair
Thomas
That is about right and each sensor has its own computer page reporting to the AdBlue module under the drivers seat!
Each sensor is programmed in to do a specific job depending upon whether its upstream or down. On early systems the condensation formed in the SCR by the DEF fluid can crack the NOx sensor ceramic bodies causing problems.
A factory re-flash was introduced to change the ADblue injection periods and duration.

I notice no mention of the thermal sensors which monitor the system as a whole. There are four but three are the most important in the exhaust system. These too have been changed and are part of the teach in. If defective over time the CEL will be back on denoting its probably heat sensor time!
All the best and thanks for posting the analysis.
Dennis
Old 05-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #53

2015 View Heat Pump/Air conditioner

Our 2015 View has a little over 3000 miles on it. We bought it new and have only used it 4 times. 2 and 3 day trips. The air conditioner didn't work on the first trip, 2 days. The dealer said he fixed it. Nope. The next time they replaced the heat pump. Then the heater wouldn't work properly. Dealer fixed again. Today, we turned the generator on and turned on the air conditioner. It cooled for about an hour then the temp in the coach started going up. Bottom line it doesn't work AGAIN!! We have 2 camping trips in June scheduled with friends. We will probably have to cancel. I'm about ready to throw in the towel. So frustrating. These are not cheap Motor homes.
mransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #54

mransford:

Keep in mind the air conditioner/heat pump is one of many items supplied by outside vendors and not an indicator of overall quality or reliability of the motorhome. Yes it's frustrating for sure, but keep on the dealer. With a certain number of failed fixes you should be considering insisting it be replaced.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #55

Camper Ken,
They replaced it once already. Not sure what else they can do, besides taking it back and giving my money back. Ha, that's not going to happen.
mransford
2015WV
ca
mransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2015 Winnebago View 24G on a 2014 Sprinter chassis. 14,000 miles.

Exhaust pipe exited in front of passenger side rear duals and hung about 4" above the pavement. The exhaust pipe caught on the lip of pavement in a pothole when returning to the road from a rest stop in Yellowstone Park. This pushed the exhaust under the tires, effectively acting as a wheel chock and stopping all forward motion. Required a service call to bend the pipe out of the way and eventually a replacement of the pipe to locate it higher and tighter to the coach.

MB replaced the coach battery at 1 year under warranty.

Just received recall notice on the driver's airbag.

Other than those issues - I'm a very happy camper!

Tags
tribute