Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #57

Mike and Cindy,
When did you receive the air bag recall? I have the same Winnebago View and I haven't received one.
Thanks,
mransford
2015 WV G
Ca
mransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mransford View Post
Mike and Cindy,
When did you receive the air bag recall? I have the same Winnebago View and I haven't received one.
Thanks,
mransford
2015 WV G
Ca
I got the notice letter last week. The notice stated that it will take some time to design the fix, and there will be a recall at a future date.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME for Maine View Post
2015 Winnebago View 24G on a 2014 Sprinter chassis. 14,000 miles.

Exhaust pipe exited in front of passenger side rear duals and hung about 4" above the pavement. The exhaust pipe caught on the lip of pavement in a pothole when returning to the road from a rest stop in Yellowstone Park. This pushed the exhaust under the tires, effectively acting as a wheel chock and stopping all forward motion. Required a service call to bend the pipe out of the way and eventually a replacement of the pipe to locate it higher and tighter to the coach.

MB replaced the coach battery at 1 year under warranty.

Just received recall notice on the driver's airbag.

Other than those issues - I'm a very happy camper!
I have also been concerned with the exhaust being so low. Did they give a reason for the exhaust being so low?
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
I have also been concerned with the exhaust being so low. Did they give a reason for the exhaust being so low?
I never did ask Winnebago. Mercedes service rep said the exhaust routing was done by Winnebago, but that was after I had already "corrected" the problem. It's an easy fix to have a muffler shop suck the exhaust up closer to the coach, and I just wish I had done that sooner.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #61

Quote:
2015 Winnebago View 24G on a 2014 Sprinter chassis. 14,000 miles.

Exhaust pipe exited in front of passenger side rear duals and hung about 4" above the pavement. The exhaust pipe caught on the lip of pavement in a pothole when returning to the road from a rest stop in Yellowstone Park. This pushed the exhaust under the tires, effectively acting as a wheel chock and stopping all forward motion. Required a service call to bend the pipe out of the way and eventually a replacement of the pipe to locate it higher and tighter to the coach.

MB replaced the coach battery at 1 year under warranty.

Just received recall notice on the driver's airbag.

Other than those issues - I'm a very happy camper!
How do you know what Chassis you have? We bought a 2015 Winnebago view the end of January 2015. I don't know what chassis it's on. I looked at the recalls and it said that my View only had one recall and that was the propane line, which has been replaced.
Thank,
mransford, Ca
2015 Winnebago View G
Old 05-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mransford View Post
How do you know what Chassis you have? We bought a 2015 Winnebago view the end of January 2015. I don't know what chassis it's on. I looked at the recalls and it said that my View only had one recall and that was the propane line, which has been replaced.
Thank,
mransford, Ca
2015 Winnebago View G
The sale papers listed the coach as a 2015 Winnebago, and the chassis as a 2014 Mercedes Sprinter. I believe if you have a Mercedes, it's the Sprinter 3500 chassis (dual rear wheels). We also had the recall on the propane line and that has been replaced.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #63

Quote:
The sale papers listed the coach as a 2015 Winnebago, and the chassis as a 2014 Mercedes Sprinter. I believe if you have a Mercedes, it's the Sprinter 3500 chassis (dual rear wheels). We also had the recall on the propane line and that has been replaced.
If you are trying to determine the year*of your Mercedes Sprinter van*after 2009, the eighth digit back on the dash VIN will be a letter -*A, B, C, etc. *A = 2010 B = 2011 and so forth.*
Old 05-31-2016, 04:46 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
The "Low Hanging Exhaust Pipe" issue has been around for awhile. I tightened mine up a little (you still need body clearance) but, make sure the threads on the muffler hanger clamp are UP not Down.....if the clamp threads are down they snag whatever they come in contact with, as opposed to glancing off on contact , if they are up. PS Views had "cheap muffler hanger issues" for years, lots of folks put a better or 2nd hanger on the tailpipe.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:59 PM   #65

Quote:
I got the notice letter last week. The notice stated that it will take some time to design the fix, and there will be a recall at a future date.
I looked up our VIN number and this recall didn't show up. I hope they are right.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:40 AM   #66

The recall for drivers air bag was very specific, if you are registered as an owner with Mecedes they will send Two letters. Our dealer does not have the parts and no time frame as to when they will be available. The second letter is suppose to inform you that parts are available, time to make an appointment to replace.

I suspect this may take some time to rectify.
In the meantime we are all driving potential exploding, shrapnel propelling, Vehicles. Mercedes is in a long line of manufactures that were sold these devices
I believe they will make this replacement as quickly as possible.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #67

I am the frustrated owner of a 2014 Pleasure Way Plateau TS. No problems with the coach but the exhaust system on the 3500 model Sprinter (4 cyl) has gone TU twice in 10,000 miles. The first time the problem @1000 miles was the exhaust gas temperature sensor. The second time (3 weeks ago @ 10,000 miles) concerned the two NOx sensors. Of course, the computer warned that I had dirty or diluted DEF fluid. My penalty? 50 miles and 16 starts. (Thank you EPA for the spanking!). Of course, I didn't know it was the NOx sensors until the rig was at the Mercedes Sprinter Van Dealer/Repair facility.

Turns out one or the other or both (who knows?) had failed. In any case these were "model 2" sensors so the mechanic replaced both with "model 3" sensors and did the required computer inputs. We drove the unit the 300 miles home with no (further) exhaust issue problems. Kudos to Mercedes of Spokane (WA) for the prompt help.

The mechanic gave me an underside tour of the rig while it was up on the rack. He had several comments that might be helpful to those with similar problems and I'll pass these along.

1. The purpose of these sensors is to measure the nitrogen oxide drop by measuring the NOx content of the exhaust before the injection of the DEF fluid and then after the injection. The difference must be in a range that the computer accepts. As of May, 2016 sensor version 3 is the latest. The mechanic stated that both should be replaced if either has a problem.

2. Walmart DEF fluid @ $8.50 per 2.5 gallons is the same as any of the fancy brand names at three times the price. They all meet the same specification. He stated that problems often arise when when Sprinter users fill up with DEF fluid from bulk tanks at truck stops. The fluid gets contaminated from dirty air entering the tank as it drains or the hydroscopic DEF fluid pulling moisture out of the air. Put simply, control your DEF supply.

3. Avoid getting urea crystals (the active ingredient in DEF fluid) in the tank by rinsing the cap with water (shake dry) before reinstalling it. Carefully wipe the cap threads with a moisture paper towel and wipe up any spills in the rubber cup around the fill cap. You can rinse this with a little water to keep everything clean.

4. If your DEF bottle shows any crystallization in the fluid (pour some in a glass and look for "sparklies") then dilute it down with water (1:50) and spread it on your lawn. Urea is a great fertilizer. Buy a fresh container.

I top off the fluid after every trip. (The mechanic agrees that this is good practice.) My measured consumption is 0.8 gallons per 1,000 miles. The tank is five gallons. This is close to what the consumption should be based upon numerous sources. Initially, the RV dealer said that the tank didn't have to be filled before the 15,000 mile initial oil change. This is plain wrong as the math will show.

Finally, remember that it was the EPA that required Mercedes and all the others to put the "death sentence" computer controls on all the "consumer" diesel engines. This is another of those government driven full speed ahead measures dependent for success upon non-existent technology. I'll cut Mercedes some slack in trying to "catch up" with the idealists in Washington, DC. Having said this I think that Mercedes has acted in a less than responsible manner with respect to the Sprinter van. Simply put there are too few places to get the exhaust system on the Sprinter Van fixed. This is Mercedes' fault. Mercedes could have given ALL dealers the tools to fix the Sprinter exhaust systems. Mercedes could have given all Freightliner dealers the same tools since they own this company.

One can only hope that Ford (through the Transit) makes them pay dearly for their hubris.

Kern
Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #68

My Contribution

We have a 2014 Renegade Villagio 25TBS with a 2013 Sprinter 3500 Chassis. Here are the problems we have encountered:

1. Our original MB battery for the coach failed and we replaced it with an AGM Battery

2. Once, we got a low DEF light but we travel with that so we put some in right away.

3. Our radio doesn't get a signal but we just use our IPODs.

4. Once, we went on a day trip and didn't come back for five days.

5. Another time, we went on a day trip and ended up at a site on the infield at the Daytona 500. Now we have that site every year.

6. We don't really have enough storage space as we would like, so we buy lots of nips cause you can just throw them anywhere and they don't take up a lot of space.

7. A wheel sensor went bad and the ABS light went on. The MB dealer fixed it.

8. Every day, I walk down the driveway to go to work and wish I had the RV keys in my hand. I see that thing just sitting there asking me to take it on another adventure to get out and see stuff, go places and just goof off as much as you can.

CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:01 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kern View Post
I am the frustrated owner of a 2014 Pleasure Way Plateau TS. No problems with the coach but the exhaust system on the 3500 model Sprinter (4 cyl) has gone TU twice in 10,000 miles. The first time the problem @1000 miles was the exhaust gas temperature sensor. The second time (3 weeks ago @ 10,000 miles) concerned the two NOx sensors. Of course, the computer warned that I had dirty or diluted DEF fluid. My penalty? 50 miles and 16 starts. (Thank you EPA for the spanking!). Of course, I didn't know it was the NOx sensors until the rig was at the Mercedes Sprinter Van Dealer/Repair facility.

Turns out one or the other or both (who knows?) had failed. In any case these were "model 2" sensors so the mechanic replaced both with "model 3" sensors and did the required computer inputs. We drove the unit the 300 miles home with no (further) exhaust issue problems. Kudos to Mercedes of Spokane (WA) for the prompt help.

The mechanic gave me an underside tour of the rig while it was up on the rack. He had several comments that might be helpful to those with similar problems and I'll pass these along.

1. The purpose of these sensors is to measure the nitrogen oxide drop by measuring the NOx content of the exhaust before the injection of the DEF fluid and then after the injection. The difference must be in a range that the computer accepts. As of May, 2016 sensor version 3 is the latest. The mechanic stated that both should be replaced if either has a problem.

2. Walmart DEF fluid @ $8.50 per 2.5 gallons is the same as any of the fancy brand names at three times the price. They all meet the same specification. He stated that problems often arise when when Sprinter users fill up with DEF fluid from bulk tanks at truck stops. The fluid gets contaminated from dirty air entering the tank as it drains or the hydroscopic DEF fluid pulling moisture out of the air. Put simply, control your DEF supply.

3. Avoid getting urea crystals (the active ingredient in DEF fluid) in the tank by rinsing the cap with water (shake dry) before reinstalling it. Carefully wipe the cap threads with a moisture paper towel and wipe up any spills in the rubber cup around the fill cap. You can rinse this with a little water to keep everything clean.

4. If your DEF bottle shows any crystallization in the fluid (pour some in a glass and look for "sparklies") then dilute it down with water (1:50) and spread it on your lawn. Urea is a great fertilizer. Buy a fresh container.

I top off the fluid after every trip. (The mechanic agrees that this is good practice.) My measured consumption is 0.8 gallons per 1,000 miles. The tank is five gallons. This is close to what the consumption should be based upon numerous sources. Initially, the RV dealer said that the tank didn't have to be filled before the 15,000 mile initial oil change. This is plain wrong as the math will show.

Finally, remember that it was the EPA that required Mercedes and all the others to put the "death sentence" computer controls on all the "consumer" diesel engines. This is another of those government driven full speed ahead measures dependent for success upon non-existent technology. I'll cut Mercedes some slack in trying to "catch up" with the idealists in Washington, DC. Having said this I think that Mercedes has acted in a less than responsible manner with respect to the Sprinter van. Simply put there are too few places to get the exhaust system on the Sprinter Van fixed. This is Mercedes' fault. Mercedes could have given ALL dealers the tools to fix the Sprinter exhaust systems. Mercedes could have given all Freightliner dealers the same tools since they own this company.

One can only hope that Ford (through the Transit) makes them pay dearly for their hubris.

Kern
Thank you, for your indepth write up.

I don't think the Ford is even comparable, it is smaller with less useable Gross weight. It is brand new to the market, at this point we don't know it's weak points or strong points. Not all dealerships are set up to maintain these.
It will be interesting to make comparisons after a couple of on the screen
Old 06-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kern

Kern
Thank you, for your indepth write up.

I don't think the Ford is even comparable, it is smaller with less useable Gross weight. It is brand new to the market, at this point we don't know it's weak points or strong points. Not all dealerships are set up to maintain these.
It will be interesting to make comparisons after a couple of (years on the road.)
Edit

Tags
tribute