Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #71

Update

I just wanted to update everyone on my 2010 Sprinter issues after Tom Masano Mercedes installed the latest NOX sensors all is well after 1500 miles. FYI this dealership is moving to a new facility this month to accommodate larger vehicles(i.e. motorhomes). I can say the service dept has been polite to me and listened when I had more information than they did (thanks to Dennis from Linden engine!) and researched it.
thomasd923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #72

My 2016 Navion had the engine, brake and parking brake lights on in addition to the SRS. This happened when I picked it up at the dealer after getting some work done 2 months after I purchased the RV. The dealer said it was a Mercedes problem. I took it to Mercedes and they determined it was the steering wheel control module (ASWC-1) that Winnebago added to allow the radio to be controlled from the steering wheel. They disconnected it and the lights all went off. It cost me $419 to Mercedes and the module is still broken. This is a new RV that I have had for less than 2 months ! I hesitate to take it back to the dealer because that's where it happened. I will try the local Hi Way Hifi shop here in town.

So when weird lights go on it's not always the chassis !
rtormala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #73

Sprinter Problems

2014 B3500 Van (not a cutaway)

1) Occasional no crank. Turned out to be a loose connector on the computer module under the driver's seat. Warranty.
2) Rear NOx failure. Blamed on Winnebago pinching a line when they installed the water tank. Winnebago picked up the tab.
3) Front NOx failure. Replaced under warranty.
4) Serious breakdown on the road. Turns out that the airbox was not reinstalled correctly when the front NOx was replaced. Quick warranty fix, but two days stranded on the road.
5) Now seeing excessive DEF consumption.

13K miles, owned for 18 months. I'm really starting to lose confidence in the unit. Love the way it drives, sets up and lives, but it has to be dependable. MB service on Sprinters on the road is pretty iffy. Roanoke (they did the front NOx) does not have room at their main shop, so they shuttle them back and forth across town, then have to shuttle parts. Hartford, CT really came through on fixing what Roanoke did wrong, but their tall door has been broken for WEEKS so they had to do the work out in the parking lot! No loaner cars for Sprinter customers, and very limited Sprinter techs, from what I've experienced. Sure hope this settles down, as I love the unit, but you can't have it fail when going across the country.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #74

Ok my ongoing saga with 2012 via on 2011 sprinter with 22,000 miles. Recall periodically getting this Electronic Brake-force Distribution, EBFD, ABS and two other related messages all of which say "visit workshop"! MB service says I need to replace front struts in pairs (5 hours labor), align front wheels with bolts (3.9 hours), rotate and balance dully tires (2.1 hours) and one other .5 hour thing all for $1900. Thoughts and comments! TIA.
RLP1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLP1945 View Post
Ok my ongoing saga with 2012 via on 2011 sprinter with 22,000 miles. Recall periodically getting this Electronic Brake-force Distribution, EBFD, ABS and two other related messages all of which say "visit workshop"! MB service says I need to replace front struts in pairs (5 hours labor), align front wheels with bolts (3.9 hours), rotate and balance dully tires (2.1 hours) and one other .5 hour thing all for $1900. Thoughts and comments! TIA.
Struts, yes I would replace them in pairs. No idea of the cost.
Alignment mine took 1.5 hours including balancing all 6 wheels rotating the insides to the front. $146.00 toe in was out of adjustment, slight feathering on the front tires, even wear across the rears.

They used a fancy front end alignment rack with computer readouts and attachments to front and rears to set the alignment. The tech. listed the Sprinter which automatically set up the machine, he did not need any special tools.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:44 PM   #76

Just finished with the lock issue.
Both Winnebago and Freightliner took care of the job.
Winnebago about a 6 hour job, Freightliner replaced the Sam unit, flashed with the new software and took care of an update at the same time, about an hour.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
It is not believable that Struts can be worn out at 22K. There does not seem to be any history of others having that issue.

Is there a respected MB or Freightliner dealer with a good alignment reputation realistically close to you?

$1900 is not such a monumental expense, but, it's hard to imagine that your issues are caused by struts.

Have you replaced the rear wheel sensors, on both rear wheels? That is an ongoing problem that lots of folks seem to have, and causes the warning lights to come on.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSprinter View Post

1) Occasional no crank. Turned out to be a loose connector on the computer module under the driver's seat. Warranty.
2) Rear NOx failure. Blamed on Winnebago pinching a line when they installed the water tank. Winnebago picked up the tab.
3) Front NOx failure. Replaced under warranty.
4) Serious breakdown on the road. Turns out that the airbox was not reinstalled correctly when the front NOx was replaced. Quick warranty fix, but two days stranded on the road.

13K miles, owned for 18 months. I'm really starting to lose confidence in the unit. Love the way it drives, sets up and lives, but it has to be dependable. MB service on Sprinters on the road is pretty iffy. Roanoke (they did the front NOx) does not have room at their main shop, so they shuttle them back and forth across town, then have to shuttle parts. Hartford, CT really came through on fixing what Roanoke did wrong, but their tall door has been broken for WEEKS so they had to do the work out in the parking lot! No loaner cars for Sprinter customers, and very limited Sprinter techs, from what I've experienced. Sure hope this settles down, as I love the unit, but you can't have it fail when going across the country.
Nox sensors are usually replaced in pairs and programmed in!
Each sensor creates a computer page of info reporting to the system.
Equally close attention needs to be paid to the thermo couples (sensors) located in the system which have also been changed .
Dennis
Mechanic
lindenengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #79

Cool Sprinter fuel issue

I have a 2013 Sprinter with a Winnebago coach. Have had similar problems with running out of fuel while the tank had exactly 9 gallons still on board. Dealer has been unable to resolve. Fuel gauge is accurate. Engine seems to starve out, usually in a most dangerous place.
braisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #80

Got my recall in July 2016
braisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by braisted View Post
Got my recall in July 2016
Exactly what recall is this? Do you have a reference number for this recall?

Thanks, Ken
Old 09-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSprinter View Post

I measured the DEF consumption on my 2014 Pleasure Way Plateau TS (4-cylinder MB engine) at 0.72 gallons per 1000 miles. Internet research confirms this number - give or take. A friend has a 6 cylinder MB engine in a Leisure Travel Van Unity (about 1,000 pounds heavier) and uses about 1.1 gallons per thousand miles.

When I bought my Plateau TS the salesman said something like "just have the DEF tank refilled at the first oil change (15,000 miles)." Obviously, this is wrong as the DEF tank is only about 5 gallons ==> ~7,000 miles. When confronted with some actual "science" he admitted that his information came from a "sales meeting" and he had never seen anything in writing about DEF consumption. "Lore" is sometimes hard to kill!

If you are getting numbers near mine your consumption is normal. BTW, I "top off" about every 2,000 miles (recommended by a MB Sprinter mechanic).

I've said this elsewhere on this thread but it is worth repeating: Walmart DEF fluid at about $8.50 for 2.5-gallons meets all the required specs (SCR,
API) for DEF fluid. This comes out to about 5 miles of driving per penny of DEF fluid.

Kern
2014 Plateau TS
Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #83

2014 Roadtrek ETrek Sprinter 3500
Have a sickening loud moaning noise, most evident when going upgrade, since the day we bought it new. It has only have 12,000 km/7000miles on it. Three difference MB location service managers test drove and all immediately agreed noise was excessive but when they could not fix it, they claimed it was characteristic, also said it was a motorhome build issue, not theirs. RT have checked and rechecked everything they installed and all is okay so not them.
Mercedes did change out the drive shaft but noise still the same, so put the old one back. MB won't take responsibility for noise!!!

J Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #84

Well, it is probably completely unrelated, but I had a car that did that cut out thing (yes, very unnerving on the freeway to realize your car is essentially off even though it is still moving) and it was the ECM (engine control module). It was a German car (VW, not diesel, not turbo 3.6) and it took their top engineers a long time to come up with the answer. I too went through the "It's fixed" / "Oh, no it's not!" several times.
Amazonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tribute