Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wallace View Post
2014 Roadtrek ETrek Sprinter 3500
Have a sickening loud moaning noise, most evident when going upgrade, since the day we bought it new. It has only have 12,000 km/7000miles on it. Three difference MB location service managers test drove and all immediately agreed noise was excessive but when they could not fix it, they claimed it was characteristic, also said it was a motorhome build issue, not theirs. RT have checked and rechecked everything they installed and all is okay so not them.
Mercedes did change out the drive shaft but noise still the same, so put the old one back. MB won't take responsibility for noise!!!

Both my neighbor's and my 2014s had similar groaning under low speed... start up a grade or hill. Trust that it is not harmful. Mother does not have any idea what the cause is..... and no clue what could fix it.

Here's what Crow thinks: Low time power unit. The engine management system has not yet been fully assimilated (engine, transmission, engine control and the management computers are the BORG COLLECTIVE {and I don't mean Borg Warner!!!}) They are going to do what they are programmed to do...... The OEM programming for shifting the transmission in these years was set to hold the transmission in a higher gear for a longer time than what you (the driver) would choose for 'economy and emissions' reasons. Thus, when you slow down, it will keep a higher gear much longer than you realize. And, it will try to keep it in that gear, even though you want to accelerate (and you know it's wrong).

So.... sometimes you get into an situation where the RV is moving slowly and you want to pick up speed but the "Borg Collective" says.... NOPE! gonna stay in this higher gear for a bit longer. You put more power to it and it still stays in the 'wrong' gear and it builds up a lot of hydraulic pressure in the transmission. What you are hearing is the squealing, shrieking, moaning of the high pressure fluid trying to get through all the tiny valves, openings and passageways. If you back off it will go away. If you really hammer it, a down shift takes it away.

Part of the trouble may lie with the engine not developing rated torque for it's young age. WHATEVER!! Be assured that it will eventually go away as the engine/transmission begin to wear in and better manage the shifting demands.

Yes.... it will still maintain a higher than expected gear at low speeds. But, will shift down more easily and quickly as it gets more miles.

OR, manually shift it down and bring the RPM up to around 3K.....

Crow remembers it 'suddenly' being gone 98% of the time between 4-5000 miles. At 16.6K, I can't recall the last time it has happened.

Take a stress pill.... relax. It will go away.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #86

This sounds like the wrinkle bearing as they call it!
A fairly common squealing/screeching noise which manifests itself as a "weep weep" noise as it quiets itself down once hot.

The remedy in the case I am describing is to install new prop support bearings at about $177 each plus labor.
Dennis
lindenengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #87

brand new delivered from MidWest--2000 miles, no towing. New rear end solved it! thank you forum
eestork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #88

Our experience with new RV

We took delivery of a 2016 LTV Serenity last month and on our first trip, we experienced vibration at 65 MPH from the front end. This MH uses the Sprinter 3500 chassis. LTV had us take it in to a frame shop and they aligned the front end and balanced the front tires. One tire was 22/1000's out of round so they trued it up on their machine. The alignment toe-in was out of spec and the right side camber was off enough that they required the installation of a camber kit to get it set correctly. Our next trip is scheduled in October, so we are hoping that the vibration will be gone at highway speeds.

Other minor problems are with the lighting. One of the tail light segments was repaired the day after we took delivery, but it went out again on our trip. This time I attempted the repair and got it working again. It appears that the bulbs become loose in the sockets on the lens. Removal of the lens on the left side is difficult because of the plumbing pipes that limit access to the fastener that holds the lens against the body. Also, the 3rd brake light is full of water droplets. I will probably try to remove it, dry it out and try to reseal it. Our dealer is about 100 miles away, so I can not take the time to go there for minor things like this.

For the most part, we are pretty happy with the MH.
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #89

Just purchased a Thor Citation 24 SS (3500) in Aug. After unsatisfactory delivery I discovered the following problems:
- Rear inside tandem tire flat
- In-dash BT/DVD/CD/AM/FM/ Camera monitor system touch screen INOP
- DEF low indicator warning light activated after 22 miles
- Fresh water system not serviced/op checked
- Circuit panel door latch broken

Other than that, no other problems!
SEREBIGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #90

We have an '08 Sprinter chassis under an '09 Fleetwood Icon 24A. I thought I'd contribute to this thread even though I have a pre DEF unit....thankfully.

Some symptoms/problems may help others :
#1) Symptom :
We picked it up with less than 11k miles on it. On the way home and for a few trips afterward we had an intermittent and sudden engine stutter/jerk followed by "normal" performance. This happened time and time again until finally the Sprinter went into limp mode.
Solution :
EGR valve was extremely fouled. I couldn't get it off myself so I took it to Mercedes. They couldn't get it off without breaking it...it was "the worst he'd ever seen." Over a $1000 bucks. To their credit at Mercedes London, our Sprinter has never run better.
I resolved to take the EGR valve off and clean it with every oil change from now on.
#2) Bursted O-Ring on the first 15 minutes going home after purchase. Oil everywhere....limped back to the dealer and they fixed it right away. That's a one-off though..touch wood.
#3) Now, we've got the hollow drone at 55mph/90kph @ aprrox 2k rpm. The perfect speed on Northern Ontario highways and many U.S. highways....dang...It's quite loud....cannot stand it....have to take it in.
#4) Also have the "weep, weep" "swish, swish," sound...which is a new thing and happened subsequent to the drone...maybe they are related ?
#5) Replaced all tires with Michelin LTX2's...dry rot absolutely ruined the Conti's...again, "the worst the mechanic had ever seen"....phew !....that's 2 of those....the steel belts had completely moved out of their correct position causing a quite pronounced tire wobble that made the steering wheel shake.

Love the Sprinter though...even with all of the issues. Great handling, fuel economy.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
We have an '08 Sprinter chassis under an '09 Fleetwood Icon 24A. I thought I'd contribute to this thread even though I have a pre DEF unit....thankfully.

Some symptoms/problems may help others :
#1) Symptom :
We picked it up with less than 11k miles on it. On the way home and for a few trips afterward we had an intermittent and sudden engine stutter/jerk followed by "normal" performance. This happened time and time again until finally the Sprinter went into limp mode.
Solution :
EGR valve was extremely fouled. I couldn't get it off myself so I took it to Mercedes. They couldn't get it off without breaking it...it was "the worst he'd ever seen." Over a $1000 bucks. To their credit at Mercedes London, our Sprinter has never run better.
I resolved to take the EGR valve off and clean it with every oil change from now on.
#2) Bursted O-Ring on the first 15 minutes going home after purchase. Oil everywhere....limped back to the dealer and they fixed it right away. That's a one-off though..touch wood.
#3) Now, we've got the hollow drone at 55mph/90kph @ aprrox 2k rpm. The perfect speed on Northern Ontario highways and many U.S. highways....dang...It's quite loud....cannot stand it....have to take it in.
#4) Also have the "weep, weep" "swish, swish," sound...which is a new thing and happened subsequent to the drone...maybe they are related ?
#5) Replaced all tires with Michelin LTX2's...dry rot absolutely ruined the Conti's...again, "the worst the mechanic had ever seen"....phew !....that's 2 of those....the steel belts had completely moved out of their correct position causing a quite pronounced tire wobble that made the steering wheel shake.

Love the Sprinter though...even with all of the issues. Great handling, fuel economy.
The drone and the weep weep!
Sounds like a fairy tale for kids!

The weep weep sound is the prop support bearings.
A common problems and found as wrinkle bearings in the MB parts list.
Yours will have two and they are slightly different from forward & aft support of the shaft arr". They are about $225 US each plus about 1,5 hours of labor install.
Now before you go buying new support bearings first have the universal joints checked for brinneling. Again a common issue especially on lightly used RV chassis applications.
The journals of the U/J have a habit of allowing small amounts of corrosion in which makes them lumpy to articulate.
You can check this yourself by simply locking the park brake choking the wheels and dropping the rear prop flange; then check for smooth articulation.
If its lumpy then its a new prop assy which come with your "wrinkle bearings" and that is most like your drone source!
The prop is in two major sub assy parts. You buy for'wd and aft as sections.
Expect to pay about $1775 US for the parts and about 1.50 hours of labor to change.
If you drop the prop rear flange for an artic' check, the torque of the prop flange bolts is 50 Nm plus 90 degrees angle tighten.
All the best
Dennis
Mechanic
lindenengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:18 AM   #92

I just replaced the windshield wipers, $51 dollars.
Plastic tabs hold them in place, easily broken in the winter.
The two wiper blades are different lengths and can't be interchanged, the mount appears to be different.
A very poor design, weak attachment points at a ridiculous price.
I love my Sprinter but sometimes I wonder who is in charge of engineering.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #93

Found replacement wiper blades, Rain X a bit cheaper but with the benefit of Rain X. 26" and 24" for the pair $36. Several others manufacture replacements but the price is about the same. Still a plastic connection, read the instructions to install because you will have to reconfigure the connector.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #94

Question Fuel issue

We have a 2013 Sprinter 3500 with a Winnebago View add on.

Eight times it the engine has starved out of fuel while there is always 10 gallons left in tank. Mercedes and Freightliner have said it was "fixed" but the problem remains un resolved. Latest solution is to replace a sending unit that is located inside fuel tank which requires dropping the tank. Mercedes advises the Winnebago wiring harness prevent dropping the tank. Mercedes solution is to take unit to a Winnebago dealer, have them disconnect wiring harness; return unit to mercedes to drop tank and replace sensor; then re-reurn unit to Winnebago to reconnect wiring harness, and hope this solves the problem.

anybody have similar issue?
braisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #95

I have had one problem with my 2015 V G V6. The drivers seat wire was replaced. This caused the Airbag light to come on.
The Mercedes is great. I had my service A this month. The two year count came up on my unit. I got it in May of 15. This count is when the chassis went to WGO.
I love the View. If you read other forums you will see a lot of issues with Chassis on the Ford Class A. Our issues on the later 15 Mercedes chassis a limited. Sumo springs help a lot. I don't plan on other fixes as my unit drives well. I keep my DEF topped off. I keep my tank full when I return from a trip and park my unit.
KH 2015 View G
Old 10-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengine View Post
You can drain the tank by disconnecting a hose stub found under the tank about 2/3rds back from the front.
It has a pinch type socket!
Simply have a catch tray ready and separate it with some eye wear protection on (Just in case) and that connector is about 9 inches out from the bottom elbow attached to the tank floor.
All the best
Dennis
Snr Tuercas Viejas!
lindenengine,

We would like to drain our DEF tank on our 2015 LTV Unity (Sprinter 3500 chassis). Just to clarify - you are referring to 2/3 back - as starting from the front bumper and measuring back (approx. of course) of the cab (before the cutaway for the house) - so this might be by the passenger side running board area of the chassis/cab? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but we have unsuccessfully tried to find the bottom of the tank. The wheel well area where we presume it to be located is sealed off and nothing visible unless the RV would be elevated off the ground. Can the DEF tank be located and accessed while the rig is parked? Could you help with specifics of where and how to access this pinch type tube on the bottom of the tank ?

TIA
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:36 AM   #97

Electronic Brake-force Distribution, EEBFD, ABS

I was using cruise control and pulling my 2016 Subaru Forester 4 wheels down (weighing less than 3500 lbs) at a speed of 65 mph and at 2400 rpms and at approximately 22,300 miles on the odometer and as I was going up a significant hill the motor from cruise control reved the engine up to about 3200 rpms to maintain the same speed and when that happen the dash red warning light for Electronic Brake-force Distribution, EBFD, ABS and about two other related messages all of which say "visit workshop" came on and then when the cruise control was kicked off, the rpms and the speed reduced, the warning lights went off and normal driving was restored. My MB says not sensors?? Thoughts - comments? Tia
RLP1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #98

I never use cruise control when towing boats and trailers. I don't think cruise control software is "smart" enough to determine how to keep up speed when going up hills while towing. I learned to do that when I blew the transmission on my truck towing a boat to the Keys.
rtormala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tribute