Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2019, 04:09 AM   #29

Sprinter Shimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabb E View Post
I'll bet if my email was I wanted to buy a new MB, not about an issue, I would have got a call in seconds!!!

Maybe you should call your MB dealer instead of emailing them and talk to their Sprinter service advisor. What MB dealer? Have you ever had service there? I’ve found the two MB dealers I’ve used to be very responsive.

My 2013 Sprinter Class B does not have any sign of a shimmy.

Sounds like a suspension or maybe a loading issue.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f280/spri...ml#post4041257

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f280/stee...my-379315.html
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 05:52 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Oh ya, I installed a set of these. They fit under the hood really nice and simple connection using a connection to the existing plug into the OEM horn, run across into the driver side under the hood to a 30A relay (supplied in the kit) and power supply off the fuse block on the other side of the firewall. Simple install and I have a real horn that's not an embarrassment.

https://www.amazon.com/Kleinn-Air-Ho...%2C252&sr=8-15
Not to derail the thread on shimmy but I too upgraded my horn using this small airhorn kit. I didn't use the relay. Just wired it directly to the horn connector. I even used the Mercedes horn bracket! Works great and sounds like a motorhome should!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #31

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
#Crabb E
Yesterday we were making the bed and noticed that underneath the mattress was covered in black mold. We had previously laid bed pads underneath, like those used for hospital beds, to absorb moisture but they were also covered in mold. We took the mattress outside and cleaned it and wiped up the mold with Lysol. Decided that the bed needed a frame to keep the mattress off the bottom. Fabricated a bed frame from some lumber which raises the mattress about 4 inches. That should provide enough airflow to stop the mold from developing. The frame has slats like a normal bed frame to allow airflow.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
#Crabb E
Yesterday we were making the bed and noticed that underneath the mattress was covered in black mold. We had previously laid bed pads underneath, like those used for hospital beds, to absorb moisture but they were also covered in mold. We took the mattress outside and cleaned it and wiped up the mold with Lysol. Decided that the bed needed a frame to keep the mattress off the bottom. Fabricated a bed frame from some lumber which raises the mattress about 4 inches. That should provide enough airflow to stop the mold from developing. The frame has slats like a normal bed frame to allow airflow.
Thank you for the heads up. Black mold is bad stuff. We will be keeping an eye out for it.
On another note I'm taking the mh to MB on Wednesday to see what they can figure out with the shimmy. If I learn anything new I'll post it here. Wish me luck.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #33

Quote:
On another note I'm taking the mh to MB on Wednesday to see what they can figure out with the shimmy. If I learn anything new I'll post it here. Wish me luck.
Can camber being out of whack cause a shimmy? Those MB vans, AFAIK from reading here, are factory set when empty and alignment changes when loaded to the max by the upfitter and owner.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Can camber being out of whack cause a shimmy? Those MB vans, AFAIK from reading here, are factory set when empty and alignment changes when loaded to the max by the upfitter and owner.
Not sure but hopefully after Wednesday I'll have an answer to the shimmy issue.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post

The factory sent me the actual alignment sheet for my 2016 Prism after it was built. I had it checked about 6k miles later and it was still within spec.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #36

Well MB has my mh. They think it MIGHT be the rack and pinion steering. They'er going to replace it. We will see. I don't know what is causing the shimmy but I'd be surprised if it's the rack and pinion.
Hopefully they can get to the bottom of this and fix it.
Will keep you posted.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Not to derail the thread on shimmy but I too upgraded my horn using this small airhorn kit. I didn't use the relay. Just wired it directly to the horn connector. I even used the Mercedes horn bracket! Works great and sounds like a motorhome should!

Do not know how this got into a thread on "shimmy" butI just wondering about the current to the new air horn device. The Mercedes horn had a 15a fuse. The air horn compressor is a 30a relay. Does the 15a power supply work or did you upgrade the fuse and relay to 30a? Sounds like you did not.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
Do not know how this got into a thread on "shimmy" butI just wondering about the current to the new air horn device. The Mercedes horn had a 15a fuse. The air horn compressor is a 30a relay. Does the 15a power supply work or did you upgrade the fuse and relay to 30a? Sounds like you did not.
I used the 15A MB power to trigger the relay and ran a separate 30A supply to the relay from an empty slot in the MB fuse panel inside the firewall. Simple task.
I didn't want to take a chance overloading the OEM wiring.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #39

35k miles on our Prism, no cab-over, no shimmy, OEM tires look like new. Did have front tires balanced when new - needed to go to truck dealer, not car tire shop. Got full alignment last year, also at truck shop - not because I was having any issues, just seemed like after that many miles was good to do. Have had 4-corner weight done - was well balanced and right at max load for chassis, but under load for each axle.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Shimmy: At 60/65/mph steering wheel will move back and forth about 1/4" to 1/2".
You can feel it in the mh also. Only other vehicle that I had this had a bad wheel bearing. Checked, bearings good. Have aluminum wheels. Tires/balanced three times. Tires had 2300 miles on them when I purchased it-- Indiana to California. Have call in to MB but no call back as of this morning.
Have read so many stories on this issue. They Rebalanced, alinement, new tires, new rims, check suspension and the problem remains.
I will get this figured out sooner or later.
Thanks for everyones input.
I had this problem the first day I picked up my 2019 Navion and got it up to highway speed. 65mph and the shimmy appeared. Turned around and drove it right back... after 1/2 day with service dept & tire guy, the tire guy finally showed me the problem... Alcoa rim was not true. Dealer replaced my two front rims with rims from an identical unit and the shimmy was gone.
mark103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark103 View Post
I had this problem the first day I picked up my 2019 Navion and got it up to highway speed. 65mph and the shimmy appeared. Turned around and drove it right back... after 1/2 day with service dept & tire guy, the tire guy finally showed me the problem... Alcoa rim was not true. Dealer replaced my two front rims with rims from an identical unit and the shimmy was gone.
Thanks for the info. This may a big help in getting it fixed.I will tell MB dealer about this if they can't find another reason for the shimmy. Issue is going to be getting new aluminum rims. Don't think MB puts aluminum rims on their Sprinter. Have a feeling Jayco put them on. We shall see.
Thanks again
Old 07-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #42

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Quote:
Have a feeling Jayco put them on. We shall see.
Thanks again

We too have the aluminum rims but they are not Alcoa.

Did the wheel tech say the wheel problem was out of round or left-right?
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote