Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabb E View Post
Side note: Just looked up Alcoa wheels for Sprinter 3500 and in the kit you get two front and two rear wheels. Have to be different or you would not be able air them up as the rear stems would be on the inside between the rear duals. Maybe I'm just looking at this all wrong.
Alcoa's are deffinetly the best looking of all the wheels and wish my mh had come with them.
Ok I stand corrected: Alcoa front and rears are the same except fronts and rears not high polished on the inside so you do buy separate front and rears. They use special stems for the rear to get them out so you can check pressure.

Just got a call fro MB and they think they may have found the problem. On my non-Alcoa wheels there is a casting imperfection that is keeping the wheel from seating on the hub properly. Hopefully wii have an answer tomorrow if this is the issue. Now the crappy part. They are not MB wheels so I don't know if I'm on the hook for all the labor to fix this. Have a feeling Jayco and I will be in discussion on this. You would think when you spend this much money on a mh you would't have these kind of issues. May end up with Alcoa wheels after all.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #58

Quote:
Ok I stand corrected: Alcoa front and rears are the same except fronts and rears not high polished on the inside so you do buy separate front and rears. They use special stems for the rear to get them out so you can check pressure.

Just got a call fro MB and they think they may have found the problem. On my non-Alcoa wheels there is a casting imperfection that is keeping the wheel from seating on the hub properly. Hopefully wii have an answer tomorrow if this is the issue. Now the crappy part. They are not MB wheels so I don't know if I'm on the hook for all the labor to fix this. Have a feeling Jayco and I will be in discussion on this. You would think when you spend this much money on a mh you would't have these kind of issues. May end up with Alcoa wheels after all.
Well that wasn't the problem now they're going to try a set of steel wheels to see if that changes anything. This is just more fun than one can stand.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #59

i have a friend with a 2019 Pleasureway on the Sprinter 3500 chassis
he has the dreaded Sprinter drone
the V6 is an unbalanced engine and MB does their best to dampen it, but not completely
in his case this results in a 280 Hz drone at certain RPM & load
i am wondering in your case if this vibration is being transmitted to the steering column?
i realize that 280 Hz is much higher then the vibration in the wheel, but it could be a fraction of it
just trying to think outside the box

mark
Mkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkaye View Post
i have a friend with a 2019 Pleasureway on the Sprinter 3500 chassis
he has the dreaded Sprinter drone
the V6 is an unbalanced engine and MB does their best to dampen it, but not completely
in his case this results in a 280 Hz drone at certain RPM & load
i am wondering in your case if this vibration is being transmitted to the steering column?
i realize that 280 Hz is much higher then the vibration in the wheel, but it could be a fraction of it
just trying to think outside the box

mark
Right now I'm not ruling anything out. All I know is that I want it resolved. Waiting on MB to let me know if the steel wheels made a difference.
Thanks for your input and I'll pass it along to the service advisor. I think they want it fixed as bad as I do just to get rid of me.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #61

Well we finally have an answer to the shimmy issue. MB removed the aluminum wheels and tires and installed steel wheels and the shimmy is gone. Now comes the fun of dealing with Jayco on what they want to do about it. Has anyone had any dealings with Jayco on warranty issues? If so how did it go?
Old 07-16-2019, 11:43 PM   #62

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
I have a hard time imagining a wheel manufacturer or even an RV manufacturer installing less than perfect products. Product liabilities and long term repercussion could spell the end of the line. It sounds more like a diversion than a fix. Apples to Apples would tell the story more than Apples to Oranges.

Steel rims and Aluminum rims weights are different which must be considered as an element in the equation, not the solution to the problem that is still unknown. If you contacted the aluminum wheel manufacturer with the information you believe shows their product is defective they should jump to attention. They might even start their own investigation of what might be occurring.

Mkay's point about harmonic resonance frequency I believe might be more on the mark. When the front of the vehicle lifts at speeds the suspension alignment moves to a location outside of the stationary norm. Add any inputs from wheel alignment or balance to allowed movement from the rubber bushings in the control arms and steering linkage and you get a degree of movement that can be amplified from any input.

I've rebuilt front ends of light trucks and sometimes couldn't believe how much slack is allowed in front end linkage. In the dynamics of forward movement, rolling resistance, centrifugal forces, and bushing material composition all play a big part. By themselves each is perfect but in harmony they sometimes don't mesh properly.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #63

Quote:
Well we finally have an answer to the shimmy issue. MB removed the aluminum wheels and tires and installed steel wheels and the shimmy is gone. Now comes the fun of dealing with Jayco on what they want to do about it. Has anyone had any dealings with Jayco on warranty issues? If so how did it go?
Glad you discovered the cause (I had a feeling since we had the exact problem). Good luck with Jayco!
mark103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
I have a hard time imagining a wheel manufacturer or even an RV manufacturer installing less than perfect products. Product liabilities and long term repercussion could spell the end of the line. It sounds more like a diversion than a fix. Apples to Apples would tell the story more than Apples to Oranges.

Steel rims and Aluminum rims weights are different which must be considered as an element in the equation, not the solution to the problem that is still unknown. If you contacted the aluminum wheel manufacturer with the information you believe shows their product is defective they should jump to attention. They might even start their own investigation of what might be occurring.

Mkay's point about harmonic resonance frequency I believe might be more on the mark. When the front of the vehicle lifts at speeds the suspension alignment moves to a location outside of the stationary norm. Add any inputs from wheel alignment or balance to allowed movement from the rubber bushings in the control arms and steering linkage and you get a degree of movement that can be amplified from any input.

I've rebuilt front ends of light trucks and sometimes couldn't believe how much slack is allowed in front end linkage. In the dynamics of forward movement, rolling resistance, centrifugal forces, and bushing material composition all play a big part. By themselves each is perfect but in harmony they sometimes don't mesh properly.
A wheel manufacture or rv manufacture wouldn't sell a defective product but MB would? If these were Alcoa wheels i would be more likely to believe it was not a wheel issue. Right now all I can do is go with what MB has told me.

Mh's without the overhang are also having this issue so lift may or may not be the cause. Others have said that when they put a steel spare on because of a flat that the issue also went away. I'm not saying your are incorrect in your assumptions. You could be right, I wish I knew for sure.

I just don't know what else to do but to try to get new wheels and hope like hell it takes care of the issue. If I have to change to steel wheels to fix this I will. Don't want to but I will.

I am really tired of dealing with this and just want to enjoy the open road again.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #65

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
we need to take a survey of which wheels have the shimmy. Might be simple as that.

I have aluminum. I shimmy at 65 mph.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #66

Quote:
we need to take a survey of which wheels have the shimmy. Might be simple as that.

Alcoa, no shimmy at any speed.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #67

Quote:

Are they Alcoa?

Mine are not Alcoa and they shimmy.

I may replace my four aluminum wheels with MB steel wheels and chrome simulators then all running gear is MB and on them if there is still a shimmy. If I get after market wheels it adds another issue if they to shimmy. I'm not hung up on having to have aluminum wheels.

I love Sacramento MB. They worked on my mh off and on for four days and when I picked it up today my bill was $0.00. They also gave me a print out of all they did if Jayco wants to see it. Will use them for all my service items.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #68

Quote:
Are they Alcoa?

Mine are not Alcoa and they shimmy.

I may replace my four aluminum wheels with MB steel wheels and chrome simulators then all running gear is MB and on them if there is still a shimmy. If I get after market wheels it adds another issue if they to shimmy. I'm not hung up on having to have aluminum wheels.

I love Sacramento MB. They worked on my mh off and on for four days and when I picked it up today my bill was $0.00. They also gave me a print out of all they did if Jayco wants to see it. Will use them for all my service items.
Nice to have Mother Benz on your side.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
2015 MB Sprinter 3500, Winnebago Era,no shimmy, with OEM steel wheels or replacement Alcoa aluminum.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #70

2016 MB Chassis with Alcoa Wheels no problems.
2019 MB Chassis with Alcoa Wheels no problems.
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote