Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #1

Sprinter wheel spacers

I want to tell everyone who has a sprinter based class c winnebago or what ever that I have found a supplier for wheel spacers to give your motorhome more stability and better appearance by getting the rear wheels closer to the outside of the body. www.jhperformance.ca is the shop in lakefield ontario. he dos not list them on the site but if you contact him he will custom make them for you. they make them very heavy duty and the difference is unmistakable. here are some pictures of my View.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0409.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	167609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	167610  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	167611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	167612  

LBrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

LBrammer,
That is good info that I will keep available for my next Rv. Thanks for posting.
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #3

Did you install yourself? You really could notice a difference right away? Have you done any other chassis mods? Shocks, stabilizer bars? I am looking to make some improvements to the ride and stability.
mrdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:00 AM   #4

Yes I also installed a hellwig sway ball and just with the two mods there is a huge difference in the stability. She now drives like a car. As far as the shocks are concerned I think I will wear them out first because they are working fine.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

Hi, I am so glad that you posted this info. I have been interested in spacers ever since I heard of the concept. A local RV shop makes them and retails them for $695 and charges $295 for installation. I have not wanted to spend this cost without knowing how well they work. What do they charge. I do not see the Sprinter spacers showing on their website.
dhowsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #6

I think he has a pic of my spacers on his site but because of less demand he doesn't list the sprinter. but he will take an order for them at a price he will quote at the time of the order.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #7

I don't see how moving your tires out a few inchs helps much. How much does your tire deflect in a turn ?

The chassis ( Body ) is riding on the springs. Unless you move them out, it won't help on the movement of the body to the axle.

Bigger and better sway control will help.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #8

I think that spacers will make a HUGE difference. Considering that the tires are the low point and the roof the high point, any small movement at the base will by hugely magnified in the cab and anywhere higher. I have spoke to ford RV owners and they do not have the sway that sprinters have because they have a slightly wider wheel base. I am completely interested in these spacers!!
dhowsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Did anyone check the impact on the wheel bearings? Moving the loading out four inches doesn't sound like much but premature bearing failure isn't fun or cheap.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:47 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrammer View Post
I think he has a pic of my spacers on his site but because of less demand he doesn't list the sprinter. but he will take an order for them at a price he will quote at the time of the order.
forget the quote ... how much did you pay
Old 08-31-2017, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The chassis ( Body ) is riding on the springs. Unless you move them out, it won't help on the movement of the body to the axle.

Bigger and better sway control will help.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:46 AM   #12

In my opinion having the tires closer to outside of the body reduces the amount of body overhanging the tires, so when for example i travel on a 45 degree angle over a gas station curb entering the roadway causing sway there is less sway. however i also installed the hellwig sway bar so between the two changes i noticed a significant difference in the teeter totter effect. as for what i paid, since he used my view on site as his prototype for measuring & fitting the spacers, he installed them on my coach so i can not presume what the price will be or whether or not he will be simply shipping orders or doing installations but the price was very reasonable and size he made them was 2 and one quarter inches thick. please post that info if you call him for a quote.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:00 AM   #13

With respect to premature wheel bearing failure, being an end user only i claim no expertise & would also appreciate an opinion on that question. after only one trip to florida i can report no problems so far but who knows what the future holds.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrammer View Post
In my opinion having the tires closer to outside of the body reduces the amount of body overhanging the tires, so when for example i travel on a 45 degree angle over a gas station curb entering the roadway causing sway there is less sway.
The body is connected to the axle at the leaf springs. The body overhang starts there. That is the point of movement in a sway. The center of weight is high above that point.

The tires sit solidly on the road surface. Go out and push on your MH and watch how it sways. If the tires are adding a marked amount of sway, they may be underinflated.

The only time a wider track would stop sway is if it has leaned so much that the spring compressed until the body hits the axle ( bottoms out ). That would be in an extreme case and cause the opposite side tires to lift from the pavement.

When the body leans, one spring compresses and the opposite one relaxes. A sway bar ties both sides together, limiting that independent movement. The new sway bar, being thicker/stronger, fights that action more then the stock one and lessens the sway.

There was a comment about Ford chassis swaying less due to a wider track. There are thousands of posts about efforts to control sway on Class A and C MHs. The answer is better sway bars.

I added a thicker/stronger sway bar to my Class C MH, it made a significant, positive difference in sway control.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace