Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #1

Suspension Upgrades

First, thanks for all the great posts and info on the forum, I been lurking for the last three years since buying our first RV. With the search function, this RV newbie has found all my questions answered without posting over the last three years.

Our ride is a 2012 Winnebago Via, we have had it since 29k miles, now at 38k. It handles well on the highway with the exception of strong, gusty crosswinds and being passed by an 18 wheeler. My first tip for this forum: I resolved the “18 wheeler push” by letting off the accelerator as the truck tractor is about ten feet from the front of the RV and then resuming speed after the truck is barely ahead by six feet. Try it and see if it works for you, of course, YMMV. The crosswind issue became evident last week when we went through CO, KS, and MO during the recent storms/ tornadoes that have been developing in the afternoon. The other problem is front end diving at driveway/ speed bumps, etc.

To resolve the crosswind and diving handling issues I’m planning:
Solo SumoSprings on Front (SSF-106-40 @500#) and Rear (SSR-338-47 @900#), per Peter @ Super Springs, currently on order.
Hellwig 7254 Rear Anti-Sway bar
Replace the shocks since they are 7 years old and have 38k miles

Questions:
1) Is there a better choice for the cost than the Hellwig?
2) Looks like the choices for shocks are Bilstein, Koni, and Roadmaster. Many say the RM are expensive overkill and the Konis are better than Bilsteins on forums/Google, I didn’t see any recommendations for a Sprinter Chassis. Which Konis would be better, the heavy track (87-2657& 82-2588) or FSD models(8705-1331 & 8805-1056)?
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
HISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The Beast

Have a 2003 HR Neptune purchased last year and on our first outing in West Texas we had strong crosswinds that made it very difficult to keep the Beast between the ditches. After a day of fighting that I began to adjust the tow in and after a couple of tries had the vehicle running true with seldom a disturbance. The toe-in was improperly set when I purchased the vehicle. Check it out.
Strohack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strohack View Post
Have a 2003 HR Neptune purchased last year and on our first outing in West Texas we had strong crosswinds that made it very difficult to keep the Beast between the ditches. After a day of fighting that I began to adjust the tow in and after a couple of tries had the vehicle running true with seldom a disturbance. The toe-in was improperly set when I purchased the vehicle. Check it out.
I was also going to do that after getting Sumos and shocks installed, the old tires showed no signs of alignment issues so that is low on my list possible causes/ corrections, thanks for the input.
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
Old 06-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Suspension

Incorrect tow in will also cause the vehicle to pull towards the low side of the road. This is often noticeable on the older interstates and divided roads where the left land leans left or is level compared to the right lane. It can make it hard to keep from running off the road when you get near the edge. Tow out will cause the steering to be rather ambiguous and when you make a small correction the vehicle will not respond and then at some point it will cut sharply that direction. On my MH the camber and caster are fixed by the solid front axle, so that was not a factor. If you have independent front suspension all sorts of evil can be going on.
Good luck
Louis
Strohack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Jheiser
I have a 2009 ERA Sprinter. I would get beat up every time by passing Semi-trucks on the highway, until today. I installed both front and rear SumoSprings on the van and the difference in the ride, handling and stability is as different as night and day. This upgrade is well worth the money.

The front SumoSprings were easy to install. It took me all of 10 minutes on each side to install the front ones. The rear ones were a different story. After fighting for almost 2 hours with just one side and not being able to get the proper leverage to get the edge pushed into the slot I took it over to a local shop who had both sides installed, road tested and ready to go in less than 45 minutes. He charged me $100 which was fine - he had the vehicle lift and I didn’t. Anyone with a Sprinter or large rig needing work in the Melbourne Florida area, Glenn’s Tire and Auto Service on US-1 just south of Melbourne downtown area is a great shop that know’s their trade.

Next up Koni rear shocks.
Jheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #6

Jheiser,

Thx for the install feedback, I had to go out and get a 10 mm deep well socket today to remove the front stops, hope to get them done tomorrow.

Looking at the rears, they do look to be a tight fit, I hope I have better luck than you did. Did find a video that uses WD40 to help the rubber slide on the steel housing:
Old 06-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheiser View Post
I have a 2009 ERA Sprinter. I would get beat up every time by passing Semi-trucks on the highway, until today. I installed both front and rear SumoSprings on the van and the difference in the ride, handling and stability is as different as night and day. This upgrade is well worth the money.

The front SumoSprings were easy to install. It took me all of 10 minutes on each side to install the front ones. The rear ones were a different story. After fighting for almost 2 hours with just one side and not being able to get the proper leverage to get the edge pushed into the slot I took it over to a local shop who had both sides installed, road tested and ready to go in less than 45 minutes. He charged me $100 which was fine - he had the vehicle lift and I didn’t. Anyone with a Sprinter or large rig needing work in the Melbourne Florida area, Glenn’s Tire and Auto Service on US-1 just south of Melbourne downtown area is a great shop that know’s their trade.

Next up Koni rear shocks.

Just installed a set of Fox 2.5 shocks in the rear of our 2016 Villagio(Renegade). We have just run 2000 mi from FL to CO and they have definitely gotten rid of most of the "wallow" effect. On the road they are pretty smooth except some of those expansion joint/cracks can still be rough. Do the Sumo's smooth out road bumps/expansion joint slam or do they just cut down on wallow? I guess I am asking if it smooths out the medium+ road issues.

Thanks,
George
gchapell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Jheiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchapell View Post
Just installed a set of Fox 2.5 shocks in the rear of our 2016 Villagio(Renegade). We have just run 2000 mi from FL to CO and they have definitely gotten rid of most of the "wallow" effect. On the road they are pretty smooth except some of those expansion joint/cracks can still be rough. Do the Sumo's smooth out road bumps/expansion joint slam or do they just cut down on wallow? I guess I am asking if it smooths out the medium+ road issues.

Thanks,
George
To me, with the SumoSprings installed the ride feels more like riding in a car than like a van/truck. The SumoSprings have definitely taken out the hard bounce you get going in and out of driveways, going over speed bumps and the roughness in the ride when going down a rough road (like the right lane/truck lane on the interstate). Most importantly, at least for me, they have virtually removed the sway and helped with stability going down the road, especially when being passed by big rigs.
Jheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #9

Installed the front Sumosprings, took a short test drive and what a difference! Diving has been almost completely eliminated. Hope to take a short camping trip on Sunday with 100 miles on various roads to see how this one addition improves the handling.

Hope to get the rear Sumos on mid next week to see how much they help the rear porpoising.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rear Sumo install

Hi all,

Just a tip about the installation of the rear Sumos:

If you can get a hold of a deep throath vise grip, the kind welders use to hold two plates together, it will take a mere minutes to remove the existing stops.
These vise grips are able to grab the full width of the rubber stop, front to back.
After clamping down of the stop you are able to just remove it, it's that simple.

It will pivot right out with minimal force!

Hope this helps.

Marinus
radar224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strohack View Post
Incorrect tow in will also cause the vehicle to pull towards the low side of the road. This is often noticeable on the older interstates and divided roads where the left land leans left or is level compared to the right lane. It can make it hard to keep from running off the road when you get near the edge. Tow out will cause the steering to be rather ambiguous and when you make a small correction the vehicle will not respond and then at some point it will cut sharply that direction. On my MH the camber and caster are fixed by the solid front axle, so that was not a factor. If you have independent front suspension all sorts of evil can be going on.
Good luck
Louis
Toe, not tow.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:00 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HISSSSS View Post
First, thanks for all the great posts and info on the forum, I been lurking for the last three years since buying our first RV. With the search function, this RV newbie has found all my questions answered without posting over the last three years.

Our ride is a 2012 Winnebago Via, we have had it since 29k miles, now at 38k. It handles well on the highway with the exception of strong, gusty crosswinds and being passed by an 18 wheeler. My first tip for this forum: I resolved the “18 wheeler push” by letting off the accelerator as the truck tractor is about ten feet from the front of the RV and then resuming speed after the truck is barely ahead by six feet. Try it and see if it works for you, of course, YMMV. The crosswind issue became evident last week when we went through CO, KS, and MO during the recent storms/ tornadoes that have been developing in the afternoon. The other problem is front end diving at driveway/ speed bumps, etc.

To resolve the crosswind and diving handling issues I’m planning:
Solo SumoSprings on Front (SSF-106-40 @500#) and Rear (SSR-338-47 @900#), per Peter @ Super Springs, currently on order.
Hellwig 7254 Rear Anti-Sway bar
Replace the shocks since they are 7 years old and have 38k miles

Questions:
1) Is there a better choice for the cost than the Hellwig?
2) Looks like the choices for shocks are Bilstein, Koni, and Roadmaster. Many say the RM are expensive overkill and the Konis are better than Bilsteins on forums/Google, I didn’t see any recommendations for a Sprinter Chassis. Which Konis would be better, the heavy track (87-2657& 82-2588) or FSD models(8705-1331 & 8805-1056)?
Roadmaster doesn't make or sell shocks. RoadKing does.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, upgrade