Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I purchased a 2019 Fleetwood Pulse sprinter about 6 weeks ago and I'm trying to learn all I can.

I've been reading through all the tire posts and just looked at how impossible my valve stems are to access. Holy crap.

Question: The MB owners manual says if it has steering wheel controls, it should have a tire pressure monitoring system, but I cannot find the screen anywhere. It is a 2017 chassis and maybe the owners manual is wrong?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #2

I've got the 2017 3500 chassis under my Navion, and steering wheel controls.
No TPMS on mine.
Maybe your upfitter added them? Otherwise, probably not.
Would it be in your "appliances and 3rd party hardware packge" if your rig came with one?
Winnie gives you the "black bag of knowledge" with their rigs for external systems and appliances.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in TX View Post
I've been reading through all the tire posts and just looked at how impossible my valve stems are to access. Holy crap.
You'll want to install all-metal "extended valve stems", not "valve extensions", which are prone to failure. Borg extended valve stems are a popular and, generally highly-rated option. They do require that the tire's bead be "broken" in order to install them (they replace your existing valve stems) so it's a job for the professionals. Shop around for the installation cost since it can vary greatly.

The least expensive time to install extended valve stems is when getting new tires. You can use valve extensions in the meantime but make sure the outboard end, where the sensor will be mounted is adequately secured so the mass of the sensor doesn't cause them to flail around.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I've got the 2017 3500 chassis under my Navion, and steering wheel controls.
No TPMS on mine.
Maybe your upfitter added them? Otherwise, probably not.
Would it be in your "appliances and 3rd party hardware packge" if your rig came with one?
Winnie gives you the "black bag of knowledge" with their rigs for external systems and appliances.
I received an email response from MBusa today and they advised that I do not have a tire pressure monitoring system. It looks like I'm going to have to crawl all over under my RV to check the tire pressure.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

I don't find it all that difficult to check tire pressures on my Sprinter - just get a dual foot air chuck and after a few times checking pressures you'll get the hang of it. Dually trucks have been around for a long time and people have been inflating tires on them for a long time - it's really not that hard.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninsd View Post
I don't find it all that difficult to check tire pressures on my Sprinter - just get a dual foot air chuck and after a few times checking pressures you'll get the hang of it. Dually trucks have been around for a long time and people have been inflating tires on them for a long time - it's really not that hard.
Agreed. After a few times doing it, it's easy, providing you have the correct type of pressure gauge. Unless you are physically challenged in some way, then it's a bit of a pita. But it can be done.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Two tips to make it quick and easy. Flow through valve caps, and a gauge that pushes straight on the valve.

https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B.../dp/B014VCY3S2

The Tireminder digital tire gauge comes with a straight push on head and is easy to read from any angle.

https://www.minderresearch.com/tirem...ressure-gauge/
Old 08-13-2020, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
Two tips to make it quick and easy. Flow through valve caps, and a gauge that pushes straight on the valve.

https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B.../dp/B014VCY3S2

The Tireminder digital tire gauge comes with a straight push on head and is easy to read from any angle.

https://www.minderresearch.com/tirem...ressure-gauge/
2 great ideas. Thanks Craig/Susan.
Assuming you've got them on your unit, are there any caveats regarding the "Gator inflate through the valve caps" items? I'm probably going to get a set myself, and was wondering if you've had any problems, or tips and tricks to install, and keep them from leaking or getting loose/lost? I assume they're stainless steel, or some other non-corroding metal?
Old 08-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our MH came with short valve stems unsuitable for a TPMS. I bought TST 507 Flow Thru, same as on our 5th wheeler. Got a set of Borg solid valve stems and them mounted at a local Direct Tires, only cost me about $35.00 for all six tires.

Also had balancing beads placed in all six tires instead of traditional lead rim weights. Love the beads for smooth ride. They are constantly adjusting as required to compensate for any changes on the tire's weight distribution, such as mud on one side, etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:10 AM   #10

I have non-flow-through sensors since I read that some flow-through sensors have clogging issues. Since I have the Borg extended valve stems, it's not that big a deal to unscrew my sensors for filling the tires. I didn't use the theft-proof fitting which was a pain in the neck so they're easy to remove. So far no theft.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:19 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The flow through caps come in stainless steel if you have silver colored stems. If you have brass threads, there is a model with brass threads.

I check my tires every day before I will be driving, and touch them up with a compressor if needed. Full disclosure: After a couple of years, I did find one tire that lost several pounds when my rig sat for 4 months without rolling. Just tightened the cap a bit, and now it holds fine.

It should be noted that any device that screws onto a valve stem TPMS, stem extensions or flow through cap can come slightly loose over time and should be tightened if you find a tire that seems to consistently be losing air.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
The flow through caps come in stainless steel if you have silver colored stems. If you have brass threads, there is a model with brass threads.

I check my tires every day before I will be driving, and touch them up with a compressor if needed. Full disclosure: After a couple of years, I did find one tire that lost several pounds when my rig sat for 4 months without rolling. Just tightened the cap a bit, and now it holds fine.

It should be noted that any device that screws onto a valve stem TPMS, stem extensions or flow through cap can come slightly loose over time and should be tightened if you find a tire that seems to consistently be losing air.
Thanks for that.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok, well after buying a new tire gauge tool and after removing the simulator caps, I was able to adjust the tire pressure. Maybe next time, I'll try to do it without removing the simulators. I assume that some of you have aluminum wheels which I think would make it easier.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #14

Yes, Alcoa rims here. It's still a pita if you're not able to crouch or kneel for short periods. It's not my favorite task.

Tags
monitor, tire pressure