Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #1

Towing with a Class C Sprinter

Hello everybody...I have a 2009 Dutchmen Dorado 24' with the Mercedes V6 Diesel and was wondering if any Sprinter/Freightliner/Mercedes owners tow with their MH. The trailer hitch is rated at 3500#...just concerned about the loads placed on the engine and powertrain. Ready to get away from the campsite without packing everything up.

thanks,
Randy
hdtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Towing with Sprinter

Up until 2 months ago I towed a 3124 KS Trailmanor travel trailer with my 2004 Freightliner Sprinter class B Forrest River motorhome. The Trailmanor weighted in at 3,600 lbs. My Sprinter has the original 5 cylinder diesel and was rated to tow 5,000 lbs.

The Mercedes diesel pulled the trailer perfectly at the posted speed limit.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We've owned our Winnebago View, on a Sprinter chassis with the inline 5 cylinder diesel, since August 2005 and have towed our Scion xA, 2,500 lbs. wet, from the beginning.

Never a problem.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #4

...thanks for the replies. I believe my MH's tow rating is 3500# and was curious how the V6 would handle the extra load.

Randy
Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Randy, you will definitely know your toad is back there. Be sure to have a good brake assist system for the toad.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #6

Thanks RV Wizard....I hope to stay under 2500#.

Randy
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #7

We have an '08 Winnebago View with the V6 MB diesel. We recently got back after a 7500 mile trip (Vancouver Island and back - with a side trip to Wisconsin). We tow a '09 Escape AWD, with a weight of ~3400#. No problems, and we averaged 13.1 MPG for the trip. Just be aware that it doesn't do anything in a hurry - and have a GOOD brake system on the toad (we have US Brake). You can outrun heavily loaded semi's uphill - but not empty ones.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer View Post
We have an '08 Winnebago View with the V6 MB diesel. We recently got back after a 7500 mile trip (Vancouver Island and back - with a side trip to Wisconsin). We tow a '09 Escape AWD, with a weight of ~3400#. No problems, and we averaged 13.1 MPG for the trip. Just be aware that it doesn't do anything in a hurry - and have a GOOD brake system on the toad (we have US Brake). You can outrun heavily loaded semi's uphill - but not empty ones.
Thanks for the comments Norm. Exactly as I would have predicted. Your combo is one that I've thought about and I sure would take my brakebuddy with me. We have a Kodiak Gasser (Greyhawk with 8.1L) and tow a Tahoe. When we hit any rough pavement I can sure feel the Tahoe tug at the back of the Kodiak - and the BB sure is needed to stop properly. Your mileage numbers look good for towing that weight. We just took our MH to FLA and drove back in the toad. 7.2 MPG is all we got - less than with our previous two DPs.

What do you get when you aren't towing the Escape?
Also, what tow brackets do you have and how much work was it to put them on?
Since I'm on a roll on questions, have you had any transmission problems? I gather from the reports on FMCA the Ford 6 speed has burnt out in a few toads.

Tx

Don
Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
What do you get when you aren't towing the Escape?
Also, what tow brackets do you have and how much work was it to put them on?
Since I'm on a roll on questions, have you had any transmission problems? I gather from the reports on FMCA the Ford 6 speed has burnt out in a few toads.
We get in the mid 14's when we aren't towing. Not exactly a fair comparison, since we run faster bob-tailed (~70 without toad, <65 with).

We have the Blue Ox brackets - since we already had an Aventa II for our Vectra / Dakota combination. Difficulty?? Dunn'o. My physical condition doesn't allow projects like that anymore, so I paid to have it installed. (Really a sad state of affairs for someone who used to build and race cars.)

Our Escape was one of the ones that got a new transmission (at 700 miles). There are a couple of threads in the tow vehicle section you might want to look at. I suspect it was one of the first (bought in Feb., replaced tranny in early April), based on Ford's response.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #10

Thanks Norm. I have seen all of the posts in the towing section and at FMCA.

My No.2 son is an engineer and also built his own DSR - so he has a ton of tools and equipment. I had him put the plates on the Tahoe and was happy it was him and not a dealer. BO said no cutting necessary. That turned out to be incorrect. My son works in the auto biz and has some front end parts on the Tahoe and thus was very familiar with it. BO's suggested solution would have resulted in a shattered fascia. Had a dealer been doing it they would have talked to BO on the phone as we did and then done what BO suggested. I think there was a change to the front end and BO didn't pick it up.

I like to say that I helped put the plates on but I'm not sure being a sidewalk superintendent counts. I wouldn't even think about doing it myself. When a dealer put the plates on our earlier Colorado he said "you might want to go for a walk - this isn't pretty to watch."

Don