Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #15

Before we upgraded to a bigger MH, we towed a 2008 Jeep JKS (4200 pounds) behind our Sprinter. Went from Oregon to Co., Wy, Mt, Id, Ut, NM - no issue towing, Crossed continental divide too many times to remember. Just have to watch the big downgrades and keep speed under control - going up big grades, enjoy the scenery. Just know up front - pulling a load, the Sprinter is not a speed demon going up grades.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #16

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Heads up for Sprinters towing a trailer with electric brakes.

We towed a cargo trailer with electric brakes. The 7 pin receptacle on the truck filled with rain water and power shorted, causing the trailer brakes to drag. Turned off the headlights and they releases. Found about 2 ounces of water in the receptacle which would cover all pins once the trailer plug is pushed back in. Once cleaned of water the brakes worked normally.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #17

We are towing a Chevy Sonic with a Stay in Play break system and Blue Ox tow bar. That allows us to carry extra items (weight).
jrcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #18

Jeep towing

I tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited which is close to 5k with my View with no problems. Live out west so deal with steep grades and twisty roads on every trip. You do need to keep your downhill speeds under control though. I downshift and keep the speed under what I would if I weren't towing while going downhill. I keep my GPS on so I can get an idea of the road ahead. You don't want to get surprised by a sharp turn while towing since your braking is much slower.
Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I just towed my 4400 lb 2020 Jeep Cherokee behind my 2020 Navion 24j from Denver up over Loveland pass (tunnel was closed for construction) with two dogs and four full size people without issue. The Jeep had a full tank of gas, two kayaks and two blow up paddle boards. I only carried 5 gallons of fresh water filling at my destination. While I watched the temps like a hawk, the engine temp never really changed on the steep climbs but the oil temp did rise but not into the red. I still had plenty of room.

The climbing was not as challenging as descending. Coming from a diesel truck with exhaust brakes, I wish the sprinters had a similar feature. Using sprinter brakes lightly when the rpms climbed to red line and lower gears, I managed the descent ok.
Ozon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #20

Anybody towing a Chevy spark? We saw a recommendation online that manual transmission spark was a good choice for sprinter
EdJodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJodi View Post
Anybody towing a Chevy spark? We saw a recommendation online that manual transmission spark was a good choice for sprinter
I've seen several people towing the Spark. I dolly tow a Chevy Sonic RS hatchback 6 speed manual. Drops the fuel economy by 3/4-1 mpg.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #22

Thanks looking at spark and Nissan Versa. Havenít had the chance to check either one out yet.
EdJodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Honda Fit (manual trans) is a good choice in that category.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #24

Tow a 2018 Sonic automatic 4 down with a break buddy. I donít notice any difference as without it. If you have stick why not tow it 4 down and save the weight of the dolly.
Hermbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #25

[QUOTE=Hermbike;5739141<snip> If you have stick why not tow it 4 down and save the weight of the dolly.[/QUOTE]

At the time, I wasn't sure how long I would keep the Sonic. I didn't want to spend $4k+ to set it up for 4 down and then sell it and have to do it again. I can also use the dolly with other vehicles.

Sonic and dolly, loaded for snowbirding, weigh less than 3500 lbs.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #26

We tow a Fiat Abarth 5 speed stick weighing less than 2,500 lbs. so light that thereís no perceptible change in the performance in our 2018 Roadtrek.
Bill Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dean View Post
We tow a Fiat Abarth 5 speed stick weighing less than 2,500 lbs. so light that thereís no perceptible change in the performance in our 2018 Roadtrek.

I'm downsizing to a Sprinter class B as you can see in my sig.

I still have my Lincoln that weighs 4,200 lbs. which is about the towing capacity listed on the Pleasure-Way Sprinter.

I have a supplemental braking system on it but it is for air brakes, I can have an electrical part added to work with the brake lights on the coach that will apply the brakes on the toad.

Bill, are using a supplemental braking system on the Fiat?

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
I'm downsizing to a Sprinter class B as you can see in my sig.

I still have my Lincoln that weighs 4,200 lbs. which is about the towing capacity listed on the Pleasure-Way Sprinter.

I have a supplemental braking system on it but it is for air brakes, I can have an electrical part added to work with the brake lights on the coach that will apply the brakes on the toad.

Bill, are using a supplemental braking system on the Fiat?

Safe travels,
Mark
Hi Mark - Yes, the RVibrake3. You’ll see only positive reviews on the braking system and some frustration in reference to the pad. But, with a Sprinter chassis, everything is much closer than with larger Class A’s that the sync is much more consistent.
Happy Trails!
Bill
Bill Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, tow, towing