Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 02:29 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Valve stem extensions

Had a recent inner rear tire rubber valve fail due to previous owner installing the dreaded braided steel flexible extenders. They were due to be replaced but fate beat me to it.

I'm sure that this topic has been beat to death, but here goes. The topic is valve extenders. I know about the Borg products and they are great, but what I'm considering is replacing the two inner rear and the spare tire rubber valve stems with metal valve stems. (My outer wheels are aluminum and already have metal valve stems.) I'll add metal extensions so that I can use my TPMS sensors. Has anyone else done this? The Borg solution would be great except for the spare. Not knowing where it may be needed means that it may have the wrong stem for the location.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #2

One piece Valve Stems
Your Tire Shop
http://www.yourtireshopsupply.com/
Old 02-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #3

Why not put Borg valve stems on the inside tires and avoid any problems with extensions? Use a short stem Borg valve on the spare and have a valve extension available if you have to use it. If you buy a kit with two inner tire valves and two outer tire valves, you'll end up having one spare short valve stem.

I fooled around with extensions for a while and it was just a pain in the backside. I admit that I hated spending the bucks on the Borg kit, but after having them installed and living with them since then, absolutely no regrets. It made adjusting tire air pressure so much easier and my EEZ RV TPMS sensors work beautifully with the valve stems.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post
Had a recent inner rear tire rubber valve fail due to previous owner installing the dreaded braided steel flexible extenders. They were due to be replaced but fate beat me to it.

I'm sure that this topic has been beat to death, but here goes. The topic is valve extenders. I know about the Borg products and they are great, but what I'm considering is replacing the two inner rear and the spare tire rubber valve stems with metal valve stems. (My outer wheels are aluminum and already have metal valve stems.) I'll add metal extensions so that I can use my TPMS sensors. Has anyone else done this? The Borg solution would be great except for the spare. Not knowing where it may be needed means that it may have the wrong stem for the location.
Were your braided steel flexible extenders locked into the outer wheel so they could not move around? That's what we have right now, and it seems to be working quite well. We previously had inner rubber stems with plastic extenders and TPMS sensor caps on them, which caused the rubber stems to fail almost immediately. That was a nightmare trip to remember, I must say. These vans should never be sold with the dreaded rubber stem / plastic extender combo, which is just nuts.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Why not put Borg valve stems on the inside tires and avoid any problems with extensions? Use a short stem Borg valve on the spare and have a valve extension available if you have to use it. If you buy a kit with two inner tire valves and two outer tire valves, you'll end up having one spare short valve stem.

I fooled around with extensions for a while and it was just a pain in the backside. I admit that I hated spending the bucks on the Borg kit, but after having them installed and living with them since then, absolutely no regrets. It made adjusting tire air pressure so much easier and my EEZ RV TPMS sensors work beautifully with the valve stems.
I think I need a tutorial on the different types of valve stem extenders & maybe tire pressure senders too. There seems to be more than one Borg system.

We just took a 7K mile trip through the polar vortex in the Navion & although we have a nice air pump & pressure gauge, I am doubting my ability to lie down in the snow at sub-zero and check/adjust tire pressures.
rScotty
rScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the thoughts regarding this topic. I agree with most that the Borg solution is probably the best solution and I have used on a previous RV. I have also used solid valve stems with metal extensions effectively. That was, however, on a class A RV with no spare. My current Sprinter based unit has a spare and as I have said there's the rub.

After much research and talking to the people at Yourtireshopsupply.com, I have come up with this solution. Since my Alcoa rims already have metal valve stems, I will just install 135 degree short extenders to the outer rear axel wheels in order to bring them out to where I can install my TPMS sensors. The three steel rims will get VHVS8225B20 valves which have an effective length of 2" and a slight 20 degree bend. These are the same as the front tire valves used in the steel wheel Borg kits. I will then add a DI330 4" solid extension to the two inner mounted steel rear axel wheels to allow the TPMS sensors for those wheels. A DLSPAL rubber stabilizer will be added to the outer aluminum wheels to calm any vibrations in the 4" extension. Since the spare will have the same solid valve stem, it should be usable in any tire location, if needed. An added benefit to this solution is that all six wheels can be high speed balanced, which is not possible with the 6" solid valve stems.

It may not be the best solution, but it's definitely better than what I have now. Having traveled all over this country and knowing the state of the roads, I'm sure that another tire failure is in my future. Just trying to be a Boy Scout and minimize the risk and down time.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Side note to all this, initially I tried to get my local tire shop to install solid valve stems in the steel wheels. When I told him that they were off of a Sprinter, he said that he didn't stock valves for those wheels. Could install anything that I brought him though.

Tried to research this and found that he was most likely confused due to the valve stem hole size in the Alcoa rims. They have 9.7mm (0.383") in diameter holes. According to Yourtireshopsupply.com, the steel wheels have a standard 0.453" diameter hole.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post
Side note to all this, initially I tried to get my local tire shop to install solid valve stems in the steel wheels. When I told him that they were off of a Sprinter, he said that he didn't stock valves for those wheels. Could install anything that I brought him though.

Tried to research this and found that he was most likely confused due to the valve stem hole size in the Alcoa rims. They have 9.7mm (0.383") in diameter holes. According to Yourtireshopsupply.com, the steel wheels have a standard 0.453" diameter hole.
Due to the positioning of the hole in the steel MB rim, there is little room inside for a flange to hold the seal. Here is the Dill offering of valves made especially for the Sprinter.

https://www.dillvalves.com/product_c...tire-valves-2/

https://www.dillvalves.com/wp-conten...nd-VS-3601.pdf

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Charles - Thanks for the links. Had already been to Dually for the valves that I needed. Easy people to deal with.

After I had the 20 degree valves mounted on the inner steel wheels, it didn't look like they were what I needed. I then ordered the straight valves. When I went back to the tire store, the tech said that he could bend the 20 degree valves a little to make them work. We went that way and we'll see how it goes. Still undecided about the stabilizers that mount in the outer rims. Would definitely need to drill new access holes for the solid extenders. Just not sure stabilizers are needed. Will keep an eye on everything for the first 1000 miles or so and rely on my TPMS to let me know if there are any leaks.

Tags
valve