Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #1

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Washer/Dryer in Sprinter Chassis

My wife and I are developing our wish list for the remodel of our Class C Sprinter. We have a Jayco Melbourne 24L with a full slide on the driver's side. Space is limited for adding something as large as a washer/dryer but it has piqued our interest.

When we pack to travel we carry about a weeks worth of cloths plus a change of wardrobe from one season to the next. We often travel in the fall and go from the warm south to the colder north and feel that we could reduce our packed clothing if we could wash as needed.

Because we will need to provide a drain our first thought was either in the kitchen under the sink or in the bathroom in place of the existing sink.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think because of the limited space and OCCC on the Sprinter chassis you’d be hard pressed to find a place to install a W/D. That said, Amazon has many options for small portable washers with some being electric and others manual (sort of like a salad spinner). Another option would be to retrofit a small trailer to include a W/D that you could hookup at at campground. I’ve been considering this idea if we ever get a Sprinter based Class C.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #3

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
I think because of the limited space and OCCC on the Sprinter chassis you’d be hard pressed to find a place to install a W/D. That said, Amazon has many options for small portable washers with some being electric and others manual (sort of like a salad spinner). Another option would be to retrofit a small trailer to include a W/D that you could hookup at at campground. I’ve been considering this idea if we ever get a Sprinter based Class C.

We picked up a 12 foot enclosed cargo trailer a couple of years ago for a house remodel where we needed to provide our own tools and materials. Right now we use it for "dead storage" but have given the idea some serious thought. Our only downside with the trailer was backing it down our driveway to where we park it. It took us over an hour and that finally ended when we drove over our neighbors lawn to get the needed swing space for aligning.

What the Sprinter lacks in storage space it makes up with in power to tow. And there would be little need for thoughts about what to carry inside.

Like we said earlier, we're just toying with thoughts on what to do.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Washer/dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
My wife and I are developing our wish list for the remodel of our Class C Sprinter. We have a Jayco Melbourne 24L with a full slide on the driver's side. Space is limited for adding something as large as a washer/dryer but it has piqued our interest.

When we pack to travel we carry about a weeks worth of cloths plus a change of wardrobe from one season to the next. We often travel in the fall and go from the warm south to the colder north and feel that we could reduce our packed clothing if we could wash as needed.

Because we will need to provide a drain our first thought was either in the kitchen under the sink or in the bathroom in place of the existing sink.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
First, a disclaimer. We are going to put a washer/dryer single unit in our 2002 HR Admiral so I’ve done some research on these. However I’m a first time 2 year owner so I’m sure there are more experienced voices here, but I’ll share what I’ve learned.
Our 36DBD came with a WD rough in as an option, bot I don’t believe a WD was ever installed. The rough in includes elec. with circuit breaker installed and a GFI plug. Plumbing includdd 10 gal. W heater, so I’m pretty well set coachwise.
Quite a few purchase options for these WD combos exist, but the big
one for us is venting. Most of these unit are listed as ventless, evev the $2000 plus machines,meaning they use a condenser to cool the vapor and send it down the drain. However this makes the cycle time too long for many people, including us. But they all seem to have small capacities.
So we found a unit that u can use both ways, vent and ventless, and I’m ordering today. It even has a winterize setting for RV owners. Also is one of the less expensive models.
Hopefully this helps. Good luck.
Extarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #5

Laundromats are everywhere, and often at commercial or NPS campgrounds. And they're usually not that expensive to do a load+dryer.
A conventional washer/dryer have both an agitator motor and dryer heating elements that would require a lot of AC or DC power, and batteries are probably not enough to do that, so you'd need to run the generator, if equipped, or plug into shore power. If you have shore power available, you probably also have a laundromat nearby as well.
Or, as some suggest, you could try one of the manual washer options available like these...
https://www.livinginashoebox.com/fiv...shing-machine/
As was suggested, the physical space and OCCC available would be compromised by a more traditional setup.
Good idea, but maybe not easily integrated in a smaller class C on a Sprinter. The trailer idea might work better/best?

Tags
chassis, sprinter, sprinter chassis