Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

What Problems Have You Had?

As a newbie doing research for fulltiming, I have noticed a proportionately larger number of issues, it seems, with motorhomes than fifth wheels. Perhaps there are more people fulltiming in motorhomes than fifth wheels, or perhaps I just happen to have come across more motorhome problems in my research. I know RV horror stories can scare off newbies, but I am the kind of person who wants to know what I'm getting into. So tell me, folks!

- What kind of RV do you have: motorhome or fifth wheel?

- What are some problems you have experienced as a snowbird, fulltimer, or even recreational user?

I want to hear it all!
cvanwieren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

I've had a class A motorhome now for a year and so far the only two problems i've had is keeping gas in it and trying to keep my father-in-law out of it.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

I'm a Motorhome type guy and owned one over 30+ years. My take on it is your going away for the weekend or your going Full -Timing your out on the road with your house on wheels. Things will happen its all part if the Adventure , we do what we can to minimize problems but sometimes stuff happens but , life goes on and I wouldn't trade it for your life sitting at home doing nothing with maybe less problems.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think all problems are shared between 5ers and MH. Don't forget pulling the 5er is generally a diesel pu. That being said with the MH most owners are traveling greater distances at greater demands. Maintenance is the key to success anyway you go. Most folks here like to share their problems so others that have experienced the same or similar circumstance may offer inexpensive solutions? I saved money today by posting on Spartan Chassis Owners Forum. Each to his or her own. Generally your pocketbook determines the direction taken, IMHO.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

Oh, I know there will be problems. I know there will be mistakes I will make as well as problems with the rig, both small and big. I just like to know the problems and learn from them. This is part of the research.

I don't want to be one of those people who get their rig and say, "I wish I had asked more questions," or "I wish I had known about this before I bought an RV!" I think sometimes fulltimers or long-time RV owners forget that there was a time when they didn't know anything. RVing is not intuitive, and the only way to learn, honestly, is to learn from others or make the mistakes yourself. I would like to avoid the latter as much as possible.

Most importantly, there is no reliable comprehensive ratings guide for RVs. Yes, there are guides out there, but all of them have their problems, and there is no better research, I've found, than talking directly with RV owners. I have heard all about the RVs people love, but I want to know about potential problems, the potential lemons, the manufacturer issues. In my opinion, it's better to have the knowledge rather than just go out there and blindly pick an RV.
cvanwieren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #6

To steal a phrase... It's always something! I've always bought used hoping that the PO's have solved most of the initial problems. I'm not sure this has been a good plan, but I also read about a lot on new unit issues. With my latest unit which has actually been the least problematic the main problems have been with the fact the chassis is 12-13 years old. Recently I've had to replace the starter, parking brake, wiper motor.

These are rolling apartments and will have more issues than a stationary house. There will always be something to work on.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only issue we've had with our MH was a small roof leak at the front cap seam, now fixed with Eternabond. Oh, and a leaky stove regulator. Oh, and the door to the fridge fell off, but that's due to it being a POS Norcold.
Our MH has 67,000 miles; we bought it at 50,000, so not sure if the PO had any problems or not.
But Winnebago makes a good unit, and as with anything mechanical, good maintenance is key!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Before we went with the MH we had a 36' triple slide Montana 5th wheel, I loved it for the room inside but not much for outside storage. Plus it seemed like I had to constantly pull over for someone to use the potty or get a drink. We traded it at 9 months old for our first MH. A 30' Georgetown with a 454 Vortec engine. First trip was SLC, UT to San Antonio TX. Gee didn't have to pull over for potty breaks (except me) or drinks or lunch. The kicker was on the way home we pulled into Mesquite, NV and the RV Parks were full. So we pulled into a big lot with Truckers and other RV'ers, it was raining. I pushed the leveling system on and hit the button and the slide went out. Then I fired up the generator, grabbed the remote and turned on the TV, wife put the antenna up. I then asked for a beer and watched the folks out in the rain running from their trucks to their trailers. Some were even setting their jacks down, all in the rain. This was when it dawned on me that I LIKE the mh a lot more. We did trade the Georgetown in on a DP, the DP handles a whole lot better. Did I mention that I did the whole set up without leaving the drivers area?

OOPs, missed the problems, the 5th wheel had to have axles, drums and brakes replaced early on. Also, the a/c up front had to be fixed. All under warranty. One thing about the 5th wheel is the front bedroom didn't get a lot of heat from the furnace, perhaps they fixed this.
The Georgetown was a great little MH, only problems were covered under warranty like slide motor replaced and one leveling jack failed, other then being afraid of the wind and big trucks she was great. We drove it to Dover, DE from SLC, UT and back when I got an all expense paid trip for two years thanks to he who sleeps with the fishes.
The DP had a few problems when we first got her, but also had an extended warranty, microwave, two jacks, water pump and of course the yearly maint. But I wouldn't be without her.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The major reason motor homes have more problems then 5th wheels is because problems can be divided into two groups, Just like a Motor home has two sets of batteries and two 12 volt systems. Where as on a 5th wheel, Well one of those groups is kind of small.

IN fact, When I said "just like the 12 volt tystems" I was being descriptive, House and Vehicle.

On a 5er or a TT the "Vehicle" is basically the axle, wheels and frame. That's all, (The brakes are part of the wheels).

ON a motor home you add a 2nd vehicle, steering, much improved suspension, engine, transmssion, drive shaft and differential. Don't have those on a trailer.

I have found that problems can be divided another 3 ways too.

Routine, (Lights that burn out, and other issues such as you'd expect in a Stick house)

Bouncing down the road issues.. Same as you'd expect in a stick house after a minor earthquake.

Loose screws.. Yes, RVers often have a few screws loose... One of the screws in my breaker box took over 2 full turns before it snugged down... I helped a brand new sticker in the window 5er owner with his power issues, all six screws inside the Marinco outlet on his shore cord,,, Not one had been tightened, the outlet came off in my hand.

When you read "Screws loose" did you think I meant that kind?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Good job of summing it up.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I've had travel trailers, 5th wheel, and on my 3rd MH. Had a few issues with all. What you have to do with what ever you own you have to take care of it and the troubles are few.I'm on my 3rd MH and love it. The first MH was a Winnebago gasser nice MH but it was a challenge to drive, second DP better handling, bigger tires, all a lot better to drive and great power. I now have a DSDP and it is the best yet, drives like a car, has great quality and have not had a problem in 30000 miles. I am a little crazy about taking care of it but it pays in the long run. Hope this helps as it is just my opinion and you know what they are. What ever you buy just go out and have fun, it's a great time and you meet some really great people.:dance JIM
Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The only RV we've ever owned is the 40DP we have now but we've been full time, seasonal, and recreational in it.

The advice so far is spot on. Maintenance is the key. I've heard that some folks shy away from rigs that have been used by full timers because they think they've been run down. My experience is that most full timers understand the importance of maintenance... and also probably have the time to do it... so these rigs are usually well maintained.

As for our specific experience... we bought our DP new in 2007 and have >50,000 miles on it. We've had no real "break downs" but there's a long list of "stuff" that's had to be fixed. Nothing major and our extended warranty has covered virtually all of it.

I doubt you'll find much difference between Class A and Fivers when it comes to "problems"... once you net everything out. Class A probably has a few more things which need taken care of but IMO that shouldn't be a big factor in your decision.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
HHg

Problems.....

Our first RV was a new Coachman Prism, 24 foot class C on the Sprinter chassis with MB diesel. In the two years we owned it.....never had a single issue, not even one. It was just too small so we traded up to a new Four Winds Serrano FRED. 33.4 feet and a nice little rig. Every time we took it out, something would breakdown.....so I guess you could say....it was a POS. We were afraid to take it on a trip. We recently traded it in on our new 2013 Phaeton 40QBH.....which so far we love. So I guess it depends on what kind of luck you are having at any given time with the coach you have.....but I also believe it goes to the quality of the manufacturer. Not much of an answer, but my 2-cents worth.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi cvanwieren,
You have a noble goal. Unfortunately, there are few ways to develop experience except by,,,, well, having the experience. One can purchase books and DVDs so they are handy when a learning experience occurs. If possible and time permits, one can post a problem in iRV2 and learn from others experience on that specific problem. To list the problems I've had since 1978 would be of no benefit. The bottom line is if it installed in the coach, it will break or wear out. You will know more about your coach than just about anything you own. It will become your hobby.

Purchase the floor plan that the wife simply adores, the coach will tow what you own and carry all her stuff. Over time, that will ensure a rewarding experience.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote