Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2020, 05:36 AM   #1

Where to get Front End Alignment

So where does everyone take their Sprinter Motorhome for Front End Alignment. I went to MB Oklahama City, they informed me after 2 days, their equipment won't accommodate the wide body on the rear, yet the person that checked me in was very accommodating saying they could do it.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201105-063407_Facebook.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	306954Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201030-080854.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	306955
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I took mine to an independent truck repair shop that did work for local medium duty trucks, and county rigs, etc like dump trucks, fire dept stuff, busses, and also RVs. My neighbor has a sprinter based rig and while the dealership is accommodating (and has good coffee) they really gouge on price, and they are very busy.

The shop I’ve use is in rural NH. Not sure you’d find one like it in a big city because municipalities have their own shops, and bigger companies with medium duty rigs probably go to their respective brand shops. But I called around specifically looking for an alignment rack that would accommodate duals, and found one, so if you broaden your search a bit you’ll probably find one. Just might have to drive a bit, like B&B Truck repair in Admore, which coincidently, is the same name as the shop in NH.

Doing a broader search, I found Falls Truck Center in Wichita Falls that does truck alignment. Probably one closer, but when I have to do something like this I make an outing of it and find something to do in the area while the work is being done.

This one looks promising: Silverado Road Service Diesel & RV Repair Shop, 6700 S Eastern Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73149
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #3

I used the MB dealer in Gilbert, AZ. Spendy at $240. The technician did not set the alignment to MB specs and said the settings he used worked better for the extra weight the coach places on the chassis. After wearing out the original front tires in under 15k miles, I now have about 7k miles on new tires that are showing no wear.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #4

1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspam View Post
So where does everyone take their Sprinter Motorhome for Front End Alignment. I went to MB Oklahama City, they informed me after 2 days, their equipment won't accommodate the wide body on the rear, yet the person that checked me in was very accommodating saying they could do it.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!Attachment 306954Attachment 306955
Found my problem with “Camber” on mine MH at about 9,000 miles. MBZ could Not handle do to size. Used a Independent that corrected 2-degree & 1 1/2 degree alignment that was caused after Big Box of MH installation. No Special alignment bolts were needed.
LucasCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #5

We had our wheels aligned at the local MB shop. However, they said they only do "all wheel" alignments, and do not do "front wheel" alignments. It was expensive, but the van rides better after than it did before, so they must have done something right. Next time we think we want an alignment, we plan to have it done at a Freightliner shop that handles Sprinters, because their labor rates are lower and they know just as much about Sprinters as any MB shop would. In addition, Freightliner shops are used to handling big vehicles and we suspect they are more likely to be fully prepared to handle a Sprinter 3500 with dual rear wheels.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #6

We bought ours at McClain's in OKC. They sent us to the Freightliner on I-40 just west of town for chassis/drivetrain service (Premier Truck Group, 5301 I-40W). Had great luck. We also had to use the Freightliner dealership in Anchorage, as the local MB dealer couldn't handle our Sprinter Class C. No issues there, either.
cajunawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:27 AM   #7

I'm OKC area and Mclains customer as well. Was your sprinter the freightliner or MB variety?

Ross
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunawacs View Post
We bought ours at McClain's in OKC. They sent us to the Freightliner on I-40 just west of town for chassis/drivetrain service (Premier Truck Group, 5301 I-40W). Had great luck. We also had to use the Freightliner dealership in Anchorage, as the local MB dealer couldn't handle our Sprinter Class C. No issues there, either.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante440 View Post
We had our wheels aligned at the local MB shop. However, they said they only do "all wheel" alignments, and do not do "front wheel" alignments. It was expensive, but the van rides better after than it did before, so they must have done something right. Next time we think we want an alignment, we plan to have it done at a Freightliner shop that handles Sprinters, because their labor rates are lower and they know just as much about Sprinters as any MB shop would. In addition, Freightliner shops are used to handling big vehicles and we suspect they are more likely to be fully prepared to handle a Sprinter 3500 with dual rear wheels.
The all-wheel/total alignment corrects thrust angle too, which is the main reason for excessive tire wear, and handling problems. If your steering wheel is crooked incorrect thrust angle is the probable cause.
The laymans term is dog-tracking.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
When my local tire store pointed out the uneven wear on my steering tires, they referred me to a a nearby truck tire dealer who assured me that they were quite experienced in aligning Sptinters and could handle my rig, a Winnebago Era. They could, they did and I have driven another 20,000 miles with no more uneven wear and nor problems. Forget how much it cost but a hundred and twenty comes to mind.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston View Post
When my local tire store pointed out the uneven wear on my steering tires, they referred me to a a nearby truck tire dealer who assured me that they were quite experienced in aligning Sptinters and could handle my rig, a Winnebago Era. They could, they did and I have driven another 20,000 miles with no more uneven wear and nor problems. Forget how much it cost but a hundred and twenty comes to mind.
Got my 2012 Itasca Navion sprinter done at local truck center that has done alignment on my class A (Ford) for years. When I got it had uneven tire wear and consequently tire noise and pullling in steering. After done was like a new motorhome, no noise (had tires trued) and tracks and steers 100% better. I know some folks don't agree with truing tires (shaving) but I have done with my class A and this class C and made huge difference. I had done to new tires on my Class A after having balanced 3 times and still having a vibration at highway speed. After truing it was smooth as silk. Don't mind losing some miles of tread because on average I drive my motorhome 5,000 miles a year, and will never wear out tires before they "age" out.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspam View Post
I'm OKC area and Mclains customer as well. Was your sprinter the freightliner or MB variety?

Ross
It's a 2013 MB Sprinter.
cajunawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:29 PM   #12

I am happy to report that after a nice email to MB vans customer service, MBOKC called and purchased the required wheel extensions to do the wide body motorhome and mybrigbhas now been aligned.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #13

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I took mine to an independent truck repair shop that did work for local medium duty trucks, and county rigs, etc like dump trucks, fire dept stuff, busses, and also RVs. My neighbor has a sprinter based rig and while the dealership is accommodating (and has good coffee) they really gouge on price, and they are very busy.

The shop I’ve use is in rural NH. Not sure you’d find one like it in a big city because municipalities have their own shops, and bigger companies with medium duty rigs probably go to their respective brand shops. But I called around specifically looking for an alignment rack that would accommodate duals, and found one, so if you broaden your search a bit you’ll probably find one. Just might have to drive a bit, like B&B Truck repair in Admore, which coincidently, is the same name as the shop in NH.

Doing a broader search, I found Falls Truck Center in Wichita Falls that does truck alignment. Probably one closer, but when I have to do something like this I make an outing of it and find something to do in the area while the work is being done.

This one looks promising: Silverado Road Service Diesel & RV Repair Shop, 6700 S Eastern Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73149

Has anyone used these folks in Oklahoma City? Need to get my MB Sprinter front end check/re-aligned.
okc.papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:53 AM   #14

Grand Design Owners Club
I just received an email from this shop. Says they can do RVs. Woo Hoo. Now for the fun? ($$) part? Sure. Stand by for more info when I get the work done.
okc.papa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment