Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #1

Window Tinting

I've noticed that the Sprinter side windows are VERY big and let in a lot of light and heat. Has anyone had them tinted? Results? I know that the amount of tint allowed is different state by state, but I'd sure like to cut down some of that sun on my left side.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2021, 05:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No Tint for us

We thought about tinting our side windows but decided against so as not to spoil the view! When driving, and if necessary (and it isn't often) we simply use a MagnaShade stick up shade to knock off the sun. Once in the campground, we use the normal window shades if necessary. Tinting the windows can also significantly reduce your visibility at night. I don't recommend it.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:52 AM   #3

There are a few shades available from light to dark.
Best to go to an installer and check them out.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #4

Weíve had ours tinted to the stateís specs and havenít had a problem with visibility, weíre in Florida and it definitely helps.
Hermbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We had ours tinted per TX spec. One of our first “mods.” Big help. Did the same to our previous View and Navion, right after buying them. Much easier on my baby blues!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tinted my windows to Virginia specs. As long as it meets your registration State specs it should not matter if it is too dark in another state. Mine is very light tint but is one of the more expensive films. 35% ceramic film. It sure helps with the sun and heat.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:16 PM   #7

Tint has 2 benefits, light and UV rays, the later being the better reason to tint. And theyíre not related, the lightest tint still blocks 95-99% of UV, Iíve done all my cars and around 70% transmission of light is fine for visibility, on sunny or cloudy days and even at night, from inside I really donít even think about it being tinted, but I know my skin and the interior plastic is protected from deterioration.
3Unbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #8

I put film on all my vehicles; Iím a true believer. I have clear ceramic on two windshields. That helped immensely with the heat up front in the Sprinter. I was so impressed, I immediately did the same on the Ford Escape toad, which also has a huge windshield.
bludog87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:45 PM   #9

I'm reluctant to spend money putting film on the windshield because it's never more than one big rock chip from needing replacement, and it's my understanding insurance companies won't cover the film when you put in a new windshield.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante440 View Post
I'm reluctant to spend money putting film on the windshield because it's never more than one big rock chip from needing replacement, and it's my understanding insurance companies won't cover the film when you put in a new windshield.

Good thoughts! I considered both before making a decision. My personal windshield damage history is limited to my commuter vehicles, Iím willing to risk it on the RV. Besides, the windshield film is just not that expensive, I wouldnít expect insurance to cover the low cost.
bludog87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludog87 View Post
Good thoughts! I considered both before making a decision. My personal windshield damage history is limited to my commuter vehicles, Iím willing to risk it on the RV. Besides, the windshield film is just not that expensive, I wouldnít expect insurance to cover the low cost.
Interesting point, re: the cost of film. Our windshield already has a chip or two, so when it finally goes and has to be replaced, we'll consider adding film.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #12

Our windshield had to be replaced immediately, as it was already cracked when we went to pick up the unit. The dealership paid for it, but I was surprised at how reasonable it was - under $500. Of course, I've not had the adaptive braking system recalibrated yet, and at MB prices, who knows what that will cost!
Old 02-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #13

I view the windshield as optional, on the plus side is consistent look and the UV protection, but Iíve noticed some light refraction that can create a star pattern when viewing bright lights at night, not an issue on the side windows, another point to consider.
3Unbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window