Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2023, 06:54 PM   #1

'13 36.1 Bunk Safety Pin issue

The overhead bunk in our '13 36.1 takes three people holding up on it to get the safety pins re-installed after raising it all the way. I don't see any adjustment to lower the retainer openings. When we put the bunk up, it goes to within 1/2" of the roof, then drops about 1/4" after I release the key.

Any suggestions to correct this issue? I have thought about using a dremel and enlarging the openings downward a bit.

Thanks in advance,
-Jeff
JMSnodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2023, 06:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSnodgrass View Post
The overhead bunk in our '13 36.1 takes three people holding up on it to get the safety pins re-installed after raising it all the way. I don't see any adjustment to lower the retainer openings. When we put the bunk up, it goes to within 1/2" of the roof, then drops about 1/4" after I release the key.

Any suggestions to correct this issue? I have thought about using a dremel and enlarging the openings downward a bit.

Thanks in advance,
-Jeff
Do you have extra thick bedding or blankets keeping it from going snug to the ceiling? On mine I hold the up button after it touches the ceiling for a few seconds then quickly put the pins in before it settles back down.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:25 PM   #3

I have the same problem. I took it into Camping World (Rossford, OH) twice, and they said they fixed it, but nothing has changed. It still hangs down about 3/4" to 1", putting the pin in a bind. Very poor design and no one knows how fix it. Thor's manufacturing quality is extremely poor and Camping World's ability to fix anything is even worse. Well, at least Camping World in Rossford, OH is horrible.
USMA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 05:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead777 View Post
Do you have extra thick bedding or blankets keeping it from going snug to the ceiling? On mine I hold the up button after it touches the ceiling for a few seconds then quickly put the pins in before it settles back down.
We have removed the stock mattress and only have a foam piece up there that is not as tall as the front ledge. When fully retracted there is only about half an inch between the ledge and the roof of the RV. It immediately drops to about 3/4 an inch, and like I said, it takes three of us pushing up on the bunk to get the pins in. I am seriously thinking about just filing the slots down a bit so I can get the pins in without manhandling it. I was just hoping someone here might know of an adjustment on the mechanism to remedy the problem.

-Jeff
JMSnodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:26 AM   #5

i drilled new holes for the pins a bit lower because of the mattress topper we placed on the mattress which made it difficult for the motor to raise it high enough to place the pins in the original holes.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:33 AM   #6

My '2022 Windsport was still under warranty. I never placed anything on the overhead cab bed. From day one, the bed would drop down on the driver's side. There is no reason a new Thor product can not be corrected. After two attempts to correct by Camping World, it remains skewed by 3/4"-1". No excuse.The pin remains difficult to pull out and re-install.
USMA76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety