Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

Another Successful Cross Country Trip !!!

We just returned from a 3 week 4200 mile trip from Texas to Glacier National park. This trip even further boosted my confidence in our 2016 33.3. (Averaged 9.8 mpg). From heavy cross winds in North Texas to several steep mountain passes... the biggest being the Teton Pass out side of Jackson Wy.
Couple of thoughts.....
This trip I did not down shift at all in the mountains, I let the trans do all the thinking. and I must say the Exhaust brake is amazing.
Slides and drop down bunk A +++++
Cummins-Allison-Freightliner is bullet proof !!!!
The stock Queen Mattress is a joke, Will be replacing with a real mattress soon.
Purchased a foam seat cushion for driver seat (Helped a lot)
Inverter and Generator A +++++
As we become more familiar with this Complex Machine the more impressed I am!!!!!
Spotted 2 palazzo along the way, Black color scheme in Montana,( possibly the same one Mr T Spotted) and A Tan one like ours on hwy 287 near Vernon tx.
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Robf

Great to hear the trip went so well. Your experience does build confidence in your coach and your ability as a travel team. We have taken those longer trips and thoroughly enjoyed every one. Where did you stay around Glacier? Did you stop in Yellowstone? Keep on with your safe travels.

Ron and Diane
Rwstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good to hear Rob! Glad all went well!
Old 08-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #4

nice job, just back from Canada and Alaska thru W Montana, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado and the same sentiments here!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwstoner View Post
Robf

Great to hear the trip went so well. Your experience does build confidence in your coach and your ability as a travel team. We have taken those longer trips and thoroughly enjoyed every one. Where did you stay around Glacier? Did you stop in Yellowstone? Keep on with your safe travels.

Ron and Diane
We stayed at the KOA in St Mary, on the east side. We did Yellow Stone last year.I would be happy to share info on our camp grounds /route etc. We stopped at Beartooth pass on the way and Pikes Peak on the way home.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf View Post
We stayed at the KOA in St Mary, on the east side. We did Yellow Stone last year.I would be happy to share info on our camp grounds /route etc. We stopped at Beartooth pass on the way and Pikes Peak on the way home.
Sounds like a great trip.
We just completed a similar trip of about 4,000 miles in june. Our longest yet.
Louisiana to grand canyon, las vegas, 5 national parks in utah, breckenridge andfinished at the college world series in omaha. 50 mph gusts leaving vegas was not fun..

This palazzo drives like a dream and luckily no mechanical problems on the trip. And actually few since we bought new in 2013.

We love our Tiger Bus....as our LSU fanatic kids have named her. 5th year tailgating in it and 1600 generator hours to show for it.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great to read and thanks for posting. These and others long distance trips are super inspiring for a Palazzo-newbie. Our Indy to Orlando run will be Fall Break so we have till then to break her in and shake her down!
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #8

Finally settled in at home after a 13 day southeast US trip - over 2400 miles. Pulled my 1500 Chevy Silverado for first time the entire trip - no issues w/ toad at all.
Needed to take my eldest on several college visits so why not tie it in with the RV and camping?!?! Also was fun to see all the colleges and universities......

Hit Tally, Auburn, Bama, Miss State, Tenn, Georgia and UF. What a great time. No issues with rig minus a small hiccup with a tree that took out my bedroom slideout awning.......parts ordered and enroute as we speak.

Really enjoy the 36.3 - this trip allowed me to get a real good feel for the rig....pros and cons.

Note to self - Don't always trust google maps. Even though they may state they are the "fastest" route they might not be the "best" route for the RV.....lol.
deano777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Palazzo 36.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano777 View Post
Finally settled in at home after a 13 day southeast US trip - over 2400 miles. Pulled my 1500 Chevy Silverado for first time the entire trip - no issues w/ toad at all.
Needed to take my eldest on several college visits so why not tie it in with the RV and camping?!?! Also was fun to see all the colleges and universities......

Hit Tally, Auburn, Bama, Miss State, Tenn, Georgia and UF. What a great time. No issues with rig minus a small hiccup with a tree that took out my bedroom slideout awning.......parts ordered and enroute as we speak.

Really enjoy the 36.3 - this trip allowed me to get a real good feel for the rig....pros and cons.

Note to self - Don't always trust google maps. Even though they may state they are the "fastest" route they might not be the "best" route for the RV.....lol.

Have a 2017 36.3 - wondering how things went on the trips and what problems you may have - planned a few trips but with all the problems been concerned with long distance trips. From VA to Indianapolis some slide and bed issues, slide / tilt-a-bed major issue attacked my wife by opening on its own. Lots of other little things. Trying to get Thor to fix -

How is yours and how did the long distance travel go?
StanleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano777 View Post

Agreed, I have had the same experiences with the map apps. This trip I made an effort to stay on the main roads and not trust the " short- quick " route. I have been meaning to search for an app that is for "Big" vehicles ( Big trucks, Rv's etc)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Garmin 770 GPS for RV's. One of the best investments I've ever made. Switch from RV to car mode with the touch of a screen.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltner View Post
The Garmin 770 GPS for RV's. One of the best investments I've ever made. Switch from RV to car mode with the touch of a screen.
Very Nice !!!! I will check into that !!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf View Post
Very Nice !!!! I will check into that !!!!
I use the Garmin Dezl 760 (trucks, RVs, Cars). A friend uses Trucker Path for his routing.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #14

Out of curiosity did you do anything to secure the awning during heavy winds while driving?
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote