Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-15-2022, 03:57 PM   #1

Bedroom Slide #1 Motor '16 33.4

Searched the forum and didn't find this particular issue.
Prior to current trip RV was parked Dec-Jan in the Seattle area which was wetter than normal, it was plugged in when parked. After a five-hour drive we hooked up to 30-amp and the bedroom slide went out fine for our one-night stay, then wouldn't go in the next morning. Controller was flashing 1-green followed by 8-reds indicating a short between the controller and the #1 motor. Attempted the controller override to no avail. Physically disengaged the motor and pushed the slide in by hand. I wasn't sure how to test the motor so I bought a new one. After install and plugged into 50 amp power it worked for about 5-minutes then I got the same error code again. Pulled the new motor and tested it as well as the original, both work fine directly off a battery when removed. Put the original motor back in and it is working fine for now.
I can follow the wires from the motor to the bedroom floor and from the controller to where they go through the ceiling of the compartment and there are no obvious issues. I went to remove/open the floor panel to the motor in the bedroom but the linoleum(?) flooring has never been cut for the opening, not sure I want to cut the flooring to open it.
Has anyone had issue with the wire from the controller to the motor and replaced it? If so, was it difficult and where does it run? Any other ideas on what could be causing this issue? I'm not sure if the wet conditions had anything to do with it but we have now been in Palm Springs for a couple days now. Could it have been related to moisture? I'm concerned the issue hasn't been addressed and is going to be back.

Could it be the controller? How do you diagnose the controller? I don't want to just buy a new one as they run around $350.

PS
I always level the RV, turn the engine off, and plug in before extending slides.

TIA
Winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2022, 01:24 AM   #2

This sounds like a wiring issue, thought it could be a controller. On my 2014 33.2 large slide I have had one cable failure from being caught while extending the slide, and two damaged by rodent damage. And one motor failure.

Those rodents were picked up in.... Palm Springs, where we spend most winters and are now, and carried back to Oregon before they did their damage. I do have a spare 20' controller to motor cable and also a shop reference in SoCal for a guy who really knows this system.

PM me if you want to talk directly.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the info appsol. I like the idea of a spare controller to motor wire/cable. If it happens again I could test with the spare. I wish I knew how to get to the part of the wire I can't see. With a spare wire and possibly swapping out the controller with another from one of the other slides or the bed, I would be able to determine which one is the issue although I can't yet figure out how to replace the wire in the location where the current one is.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:07 PM   #4

Similar situation on my bedroom slide. Ended up being the ground pin on the motor side of the connector. It was loose and when I removed the motor to investigate the wire just fell out of the back of the pin. I ended up buying a new motor and hot gluing the pins into the connector for future failure prevention. I fixed the old motor connector and put it in the "spare parts" box.

Since you replaced the motor already it could be a pin on the main harness end? Good luck and let us know.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #5

I've had slide motor issues a couple of times and both were the same cause and the error code was the same one listed here (wiring short). Right at the motor where the wires are soldered I had broken connections. The screw that retains the motor allows the motor to rotate just a little due to torque. The plastic motor cap would then hit the wire and repeated use eventually caused the connection to fail. I cut a relief so the plastic cap won't contact the wires anymore. Have had no further problems
Old 07-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #6

got the 8 red lights after my small rear slide on my 33.3 would not go out. I attached a couple of pictures as I don't know what it is supposed to look like. I think I see 6 wires going to the motor but 2 are disconnected. blue and purple are disconnected. the other wires still seem attached. black red brown and green still look connected.

its the front motor at the top that I took pictures of. Is this the cause of the problem and the short?

The motor is in the wall of course and between the slide and the bathroom(shower) wall. What is the best way to get in there and make the repair? Do I repair it from the outside or the inside? What advice do you have for making the repair?

Here's the good news. We just finished an 18 day 4000 mile tour with 11 campgrounds and the slides worked well and chose to fail when we got home in our driveway. Currently, the slide is in the closed position which is also good if I need to take it somewhere for repair.

Thanks,

mgw44
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide motor1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	369844   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide motor2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	369845  

mgw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:36 AM   #7

It looks like some of your wires may have become disconnected from the end of the motor. We had the same thing happen to the rear motor of the small slide on our Palazzo 33.3. I had our son just solder the wires back to the motor and the slide works great now.
HappyCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:54 PM   #8

How do I get the slideout motor out? I went to YouTube but my slide out is in and I only have access to the inside of the palazzo. Any tricks or tips?
Old 07-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #9

You will have to get the slide in a foot. There are a couple ways to do this.
1. At the controller, put in override, see if the slide will go in.
2. Remove the set screw and from the outside you can pop the motors out enough to push the side in. This takes a few healthy people, but you only have to move a foot at most.
LennyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgw44 View Post
How do I get the slideout motor out? I went to YouTube but my slide out is in and I only have access to the inside of the palazzo. Any tricks or tips?
Unless you can fix the wires with the slide in, the slide will need to go out 6-12Ē to access the screw that holds the motor in place. I donít know how this is done, check YouTube.

I had my issue occur again after a month in pretty wet weather. This time I unplugged and reconnected all connections and reset the controller and it worked.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:20 PM   #11

Since the wires appear to be broken off where they attach to the motor you are going to have to remove the motor, and since the slide is stuck IN not out, and the wires are damaged, none of the advice above about using the controller or what to do when the slide is out is relevant.

Without a doubt using slide edge trim that covers where the retention screw is located makes these repairs much more difficult. I will offer what I observed watching techs at two different Thor recommended shops replace wiring and motor on my 2014 33.2:

If the slide is IN you probably have to break the motor in half at the seam where the two parts of the motor join, pry out the two parts and that will pop the head off the retention screw. Once the new motor is in place and the wiring connected you can extend the slide partially and install a new retention screw from the outside. Then cycle the slide in and out and go trough the process to sync the motors.

If you don't want to tackle this yourself I suggest contacting Thor Motor Coach for the name and number of the TMC factory rep in your area, then contact that person. Since the factory field reps work with multiple shops they know who actually understands this system and has experience repairing it. That is how I found a shop in Southern California when I had a motor failure 700 miles away from the shop I normally use in Oregon.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2022, 02:32 PM   #12

Update: the two wires that broke were the timing wires that made sure the motors moved the slide in sync. So I called Lippert and while on the phone he walked me through overriding the controller, then using the motors to open the slide 1/2 way, then removing the retaining screw, and removing the motor. From there I bought the Lippert motor from Amazon. It was delivered two days later. The tech at Lippert was really helpful and patient as I worked through removing the motor.

They 've upgraded the wiring to have a plug at the motor. I reinstalled the motor without issue and the slide works great. I'm hoping to use the old motor as a spare if I can get someone to solder the wires back onto the board.

It all went very well once I called Lippert and had the courage to open the slide. Thanks for all the comments. They all seem very consistent with how my experience went and hope this helps others when it happens for another owner.

I think my one regret is that I did not document the orientation of the motor when I pulled it out so I just plopped the new motor in however it would set with the three screws into position and the wires opposite the moving slide wall. Maybe I got lucky but it was successful. I just figured the wires were safest away from the slide wall.

mgw44
Old 08-25-2022, 06:30 PM   #13

I'm glad to hear you were able to use the override technique with help from Lippert. In both the wiring issues I had the power wires to the motor were damaged so the override didn't help. Another piece of knowledge for future troubleshooting.

Tags
motor, slide