Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:04 AM   #1

Chassis Battery Removal and Installation?

We have a 2016 Palazzo 35.1 and I need to replace the chassis batteries. The previoius owner replaced the coach batteries with AGMs and installed 6 large solar panels so the coach is well equipped for battery power. The chassis batteries are the original Daimler/Alliance group 31 batteries, and are almost 7 years old. I know they weigh about 50 pounds each and are on the shelf that will require an awkward lifting motion to get them out. Any great ideas on an easier way to remove and replace them other than just reacching in and lifting?
DavdinOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2023, 11:28 AM   #2

They make battery lifting straps just for that. Then I'd put a chair or stand around halfway down to the ground to rest it on after you've lifted it out of the tray. Plus, because of the tray, I'd recommend asking a big burly neighbor for help.

When I replaced mine, the Costco tech wasn't allowed to help me lift it out or connect the new ones so I removed them myself wearing gloves. As I removed them one at a time, I put them into the child seat area of the basket he'd transported my two new batts in when he came out to the parking lot (after I bought them). Then he dropped the new ones into the tray for me...he wasn't allowed to reconnect them.

So it was a chore getting them out, but the height of the basket seat meant it was only in the air for a couple seconds. With a friend along, it would have been a breeze.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 12:57 PM   #3

Works better with two lifting

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. The issue with the Palazzo batteries is the location at about hip-height and in about 18" from the cargo door hatch. I was able to remove and replace the two group 31 batteries using an old plastic milk crate (like we swiped back in the day to use for dirt bike stands) in the hatch as an intermediate step, and had my brother reach over my shoulder to put and extra hand on it. It was actually easier than it sounds.

I'm not sure if I made a wise purchase decision but I got a couple of group 31 batteries from Fleet Pride for about $105 each. They were Continental brand with 950CCA but the kicker was they had a sticker that said "made in Peru." I decided to go with them anyway as Continental is a pretty big name in batteries.
DavdinOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis, install, installation, removal