Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnoel View Post
That is the one I disconnected first.

Mike

Thanks Mike!
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
Two more questions, unrelated:
1. Do these AGMS end up with terminal corrosion after a time? I know that the AGMs do leak a small amount of Hydrogen gas (which leads to corrosion) but from what I read it is a small amount and in turn that would lead me to believe that there will be less terminal corrosion over time. Do I need any terminal corrosion protection with the AGMs?

2. I noticed that when I finished the battery install and was connecting the positive cable back to the large fuse near inverter (to reconnect inverter) there was a spark as I touched the wire to bolt it on. Both battery bank switches were off and there was no shore power. That spark leads me to believe there was a current draw even with everything off, so I must have some type of low level draw somewhere. Any ideas? This is a factory wired coach; no electrical mods and I haven't noticed excess battery discharge in the past.

Finally, an update from the install last night: The charger was set to AGM2 to match specs of my new AGM batteries. It went through all 3 cycles Bulk, absorption and is now on Float this morning! I don't think I damaged the inverter. Thanks all!
Update on this: It took 2 days to get up to full charge on shore power with my brand new batteries, which I thought was odd but this has been the case with the coach since I bought it. My charger has never worked right! It has always said it was going through bulk, absorption and then float but takes forever to charge my batteries...at least 48 hours sometimes 72hr. The batteries are working great. the inverter works great. The charger has never worked since new. See my post here if you are interested in details: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/magn...em-512674.html
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
Update on this: It took 2 days to get up to full charge on shore power with my brand new batteries, which I thought was odd but this has been the case with the coach since I bought it. My charger has never worked right! It has always said it was going through bulk, absorption and then float but takes forever to charge my batteries...at least 48 hours sometimes 72hr. The batteries are working great. the inverter works great. The charger has never worked since new. See my post here if you are interested in details: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/magn...em-512674.html
Have you checked your battery temp sensor. If out of range, it will drop charging voltages.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Have you checked your battery temp sensor. If out of range, it will drop charging voltages.
Thank you. I thought of that and disconnected the temp sensor and no difference.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #19

charging issues

Ed,
Knowing (or really just reading) you, I'm sure you have checked the charging profiles for your Magnum. They are adjustable for battery type and amp hours. Mine from the factory, or maybe dealer, was set to only 100AH and should have been 200AH. This slows down the charging considerably. Also the AGM's will charge at a higher voltage than flooded.
Mike
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnoel View Post
Ed,
Knowing (or really just reading) you, I'm sure you have checked the charging profiles for your Magnum. They are adjustable for battery type and amp hours. Mine from the factory, or maybe dealer, was set to only 100AH and should have been 200AH. This slows down the charging considerably. Also the AGM's will charge at a higher voltage than flooded.
Mike
Thanks. It is crazy what is going on. I can't figure it out. I have them set at the right battery bank size, etc.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #21

A call to Magnum might be in order. I have talked to them a few times and they have been excellent.
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #22

see update on this thread. Problem seems to be nearing a solution.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/magn...em-512674.html
Old 01-08-2021, 06:28 AM   #23

Thumbs up Going to the real repair location

Our Motor Home Palazzo 33.1 2013 purchased from CW. Our first year, both Dometic AC's failed. They put out a fog mist which startled us, thinking of a fire. Good Sam found us Park County RV repair. A small repair company in Cody, WY. The owner trouble shot the AC, got Dometic to send replacement units. Took a week, we purchased a couple of fans to help keep us cool. Excellent service. Took a week to receive the units, shipped from Denver, CO.
We had the Magnum inverter fail 2 days before the warranty was up. Drove to the recommended repair guy. About 45 min or less from Nashville. It turned out to be the ribbon looking thing. It was replaced. Maybe 10 min time. It was not expensive. To do it under warranty we would have been down for a day or more. The repair guy would have had to take apart the Magnum unit, then assemble. ( Note: the big guy in Nashville had problems with a Magnum unit, finally drove to MH to the out of town guy. They had forgotten to connect the ground wire on it. !!! ) I am not sure what CW really does. Unless no one else can do the job, go to Magnum, Freightliner, Allison, Cummins.
Carolbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #24

Ed,

Do you have to change any settings on the inverter for the AGM batteries? Also, do you have the ME-RC50 in your Palazzo?
GT RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT RVing View Post
Ed,

Do you have to change any settings on the inverter for the AGM batteries? Also, do you have the ME-RC50 in your Palazzo?
I do not have ME RC50. My system is on the firefly color touchscreen. I had to adjust the firefly setting for the inverter to set it for AGM batteries. There are two AGM settings in mine (AGM1 and AGM2). I think the AGM 2 is the one I used because the charging parameters were closest to my battery manufacturer requirements.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT RVing View Post
Ed,

Hey Ed,
I think I would call the Magnum folks. They have been great when I have called them in the past. I do believe there are settings that would need to changed with your new AGM batteries, but a call to Magnum would give you the assurance of setting up everything correctly.

Sitting here in KY freezing my @#$ off. It's about 30 degrees here, but I consider any temp below 70 too &^%(#@ cold.
ky bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
Hey Ed,
I think I would call the Magnum folks. They have been great when I have called them in the past. I do believe there are settings that would need to changed with your new AGM batteries, but a call to Magnum would give you the assurance of setting up everything correctly.

Sitting here in KY freezing my @#$ off. It's about 30 degrees here, but I consider any temp below 70 too &^%(#@ cold.
Thanks Bob. I got my settings ok. The firefly says it is set for AGM2 and the parameters seem to work with my AGM manufacturer....so far. Fingers crossed. And, my charger is finally working as I noted in the link a couple of posts back!
I don't feel sorry for you. It is 24 degrees here today!

Tags
batteries, disconnect