RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #1

Disconnecting batteries (and Magnum) for a change over

I know this is covered elsewhere a few times. I have read them. The advice is all over the map. So when disconnecting batteries, to change out the coach battery bank, and avoid damaging the Magnum inverter, what order do we disconnect and reconnect power (positive or negative)? Magnum seems to suggest to disconnect positive first...specifically where? At the battery terminal or at the back of the inverter? I have heard of several doing what we were all "taught was right" and disconnecting the main negative from the battery bank first and having no problems. Anyone with Magnum inverter and a Palazzo please comment on where you have done your disconnects first (positive or negative and which location) please...and if you had any problems. Thank you...others can please comment also.
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #2

Disconnect the inverter positive cable at the large fuse, near the battery.

Then move on to removing all negative cables from the batteries, as per standard practice.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Then move on to removing all negative cables from the batteries, as per standard practice.
Basically what I had decided to do but needed reassurance I was doing the right thing before proceeding and screwing something up. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #4

I did exactly what Twinboat suggested, and everything worked out fine. In other words, when I hooked it back up everything still works.
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice. I Removed positive cable from large fuse by inverter first as suggested. I Took out the old flooded batteries with acid corrosion rust and dirt that had accumulated in just 2.5 years. Cleaned cable ends, cleaned out battery bay. Sanded off the rust and corrosion from the floor and walls of bay, then painted bay black. I Then installed 4 new AGM batteries, hooked everything up. Works great so far and started charging as soon as I turned on the inverter. I hope it goes through all 3 charging stages correctly. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201012_110330.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	305011   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_154857.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	305012  

Name:	20201016_192515.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	305013   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_205031.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	305014  

Old 10-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fantastic clean up sir!
Old 10-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #7

That looks great Ed. I know you will appreciate the AGM's. They will help keep your hard work looking good. I just went through the same thing and so far am extremely pleased with the results.
Mike
Old 10-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #8

Two more questions, unrelated:
1. Do these AGMS end up with terminal corrosion after a time? I know that the AGMs do leak a small amount of Hydrogen gas (which leads to corrosion) but from what I read it is a small amount and in turn that would lead me to believe that there will be less terminal corrosion over time. Do I need any terminal corrosion protection with the AGMs?

2. I noticed that when I finished the battery install and was connecting the positive cable back to the large fuse near inverter (to reconnect inverter) there was a spark as I touched the wire to bolt it on. Both battery bank switches were off and there was no shore power. That spark leads me to believe there was a current draw even with everything off, so I must have some type of low level draw somewhere. Any ideas? This is a factory wired coach; no electrical mods and I haven't noticed excess battery discharge in the past.

Finally, an update from the install last night: The charger was set to AGM2 to match specs of my new AGM batteries. It went through all 3 cycles Bulk, absorption and is now on Float this morning! I don't think I damaged the inverter. Thanks all!
Old 10-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #9

"1. Do these AGMS end up with terminal corrosion after a time? ...
Do I need any terminal corrosion protection with the AGMs?"

You probably do not need terminal corrosion protection.

I expect my AGM's to be still working 10 years from now. Adding little terminal grease is such a minor thing for a 10 year installation, I did it anyway.

"2. I noticed that when I finished the battery install and was connecting the positive cable back to the large fuse near inverter (to reconnect inverter) there was a spark as I touched the wire to bolt it on. Both battery bank switches were off and there was no shore power. That spark leads me to believe there was a current draw even with everything off, so I must have some type of low level draw somewhere. Any ideas? This is a factory wired coach; no electrical mods and I haven't noticed excess battery discharge in the past."

The spark is normal for factory wiring. Almost all factory systems have a parasitic load. It may be a wiring code thing for safety devices. The usual way to control it is to install a heavy duty battery disconnect switch. In your case, install it in the positive cable side.

AGM batteries fully charged can usually be stored for 12 months if they are truly disconnected. Keep the terminal voltage above 12.4 volts. Recharge 14 hours if necessary.

Some more complicated RV energy management systems have additional conditions to consider. Some functions may need to be reprogrammed after disconnect. Extremely large inverters may need a separate shut off. There are lots of possibilities. I don't know about yours.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:29 PM   #10

As Paul said, I sprayed my terminals also-what can it hurt! I also had a spark, I believe the LP detector is hard wired. There may be other things.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #11

The spark on the inverter cable was the electronic Mosfits charging up, all inverters do that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Agreed, From the Magnum installation procedure:

"Connect the negative (BLACK) battery cable to the inverter's negative terminal. The cable lug must be flush to the terminal's surface.

Place a lock washer and nut over the lug and torque the connection to 10 to 15 foot pounds.

NOTE: There may be a spark (and audible snap) when the cable lug first contacts the inverter's positive terminal. This is a normal condition.[

Connect the positive (RED) battery cable to the inverter's positive terminal. The
cable lug must be flush to the terminal's surface.

Place a lock washer and nut over the lug and torque the connection to 10 to 15 foot pounds."
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Just to be sure Iím disconnecting the correct positive cable, is the cable to which Iím pointing in the photo?

Name:	IMG_4155.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	305698
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieBaxter View Post
Just to be sure Iím disconnecting the correct positive cable, is the cable to which Iím pointing in the photo?
Attachment 305698
That is the one I disconnected first.
Mike

Tags
batteries, disconnect