Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #169

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
Gingerela,

Did you know you have a built in compressor under the hood?
I heard, but have no clue where or how to use it! Does the engine have to be running? Do I just attach a hose and go to it? How much PSI can it put out? I bought a 4 gallon portable compressor. Does it compare?
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #170

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1951 View Post
These are what I have on order. DL4SST Brass Duallyvalve Kit
You have to have a tire dealer install them because they are one piece.
Thank you, John. Please forgive my ignorance, but I have to ask. How are these different than the ones that are on there from the factory?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
I heard, but have no clue where or how to use it! Does the engine have to be running? Do I just attach a hose and go to it? How much PSI can it put out? I bought a 4 gallon portable compressor. Does it compare?
I will take a picture tomorrow. I have not aired up the coach, but I have aired up the toad. it is the same compressor that works your brakes and airs up the suspension. You do not need the engine running for lower pressures, but I would probably have it running for the coach tires. I am not sure what PSI it will produce, but the gauges on the dash show over a 100.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
Blues,

We are all waiting to see how it went today!
Got home this afternoon. Drove the 35.1 1000 miles in two days. The only issues I have after the 1K mile trip is the hydrolic fluid for the jacks is leaking out from underneath the reservoir cap. There is an o-ring there and the cap is tight. However, looks like the cap has a breather through the center of it. The fluid is apparently bouncing to the top leaking trough the cap breather. the fluid is not over filled.

Also, same problem with the rear power steering fluid reservoir, fluid is bouncing and leaking out of the cap too.

The 35.1 rides like a tank. Every small pot hole and any bad interstate bridge crossing hits the Palazzo like it just pounded the road with steel wagon wheels. (yes the air bags are inflated)

All the tires have 115PSI. My initial gut reaction is the tires are over inflated for an un-loaded coach causing the rough ride. The Palazzo was essentially unloaded with me and a small suitcase. This was its maiden voyage as it only had 83 miles on it when I stepped foot in it. I think it has been thoroughly shook down. ( or should I say... all shook up!)

The one thing I also wanted to mention is driving this thing in high winds and with 30 to 50 mile gusts as it was yesterday driving south through Indiana, you must put your big boy panties on. That's all I will say about that.

The Thor techs were great. They immediately took care of every problem I found while I was there. The only problem was, there was not any problems I could find. I'd also have to say that after driving the thing myself for it's first REAL TRIP gave me the opportunity to See myself first hand how well it did and with that I can honestly say that no one else has driven it but me, minus the few initial mile the factory put on it. If all I can find at this point is a rough ride and fluids bouncing out of the reservoirs, I'd say we're doing pretty good!

I met a couple while at the service center, his name is Erwin (I could've sworn you said your IRV2 user has DPGUY???? I could not find that user.) . Erwin, I forgot to give you my e-mail address. If you read this please PM me and I will give that to you. After you guys left in the morning, I was all finished up and was ready to head out of dodge. Sorry I missed you guys before I left, it was very nice meeting y'all!
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #173

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post

Got home this afternoon. Drove the 35.1 1000 miles in two days. The only issues I have after the 1K mile trip is the hydrolic fluid for the jacks is leaking out from underneath the reservoir cap. There is an o-ring there and the cap is tight. However, looks like the cap has a breather through the center of it. The fluid is apparently bouncing to the top leaking trough the cap breather. the fluid is not over filled.

Also, same problem with the rear power steering fluid reservoir, fluid is bouncing and leaking out of the cap too.

The 35.1 rides like a tank. Every small pot hole and any bad interstate bridge crossing hits the Palazzo like it just pounded the road with steel wagon wheels. (yes the air bags are inflated)

All the tires have 115PSI. My initial gut reaction is the tires are over inflated for an un-loaded coach causing the rough ride. The Palazzo was essentially unloaded with me and a small suitcase. This was its maiden voyage as it only had 83 miles on it when I stepped foot in it. I think it has been thoroughly shook down. ( or should I say... all shook up!)

The one thing I also wanted to mention is driving this thing in high winds and with 30 to 50 mile gusts as it was yesterday driving south through Indiana, you must put your big boy panties on. That's all I will say about that.

The Thor techs were great. They immediately took care of every problem I found while I was there. The only problem was, there was not any problems I could find. I'd also have to say that after driving the thing myself for it's first REAL TRIP gave me the opportunity to See myself first hand how well it did and with that I can honestly say that no one else has driven it but me, minus the few initial mile the factory put on it. If all I can find at this point is a rough ride and fluids bouncing out of the reservoirs, I'd say we're doing pretty good!

I met a couple while at the service center, his name is Erwin (I could've sworn you said your IRV2 user has DPGUY???? I could not find that user.) . Erwin, I forgot to give you my e-mail address. If you read this please PM me and I will give that to you. After you guys left in the morning, I was all finished up and was ready to head out of dodge. Sorry I missed you guys before I left, it was very nice meeting y'all!
After you get it loaded to your typical travel loading and get a 4 corner weight you will also get a lower tire pressure for a much better ride. Of course a smooth road helps.

Wind will still be a problem. The only real solution to that is 10K pounds more weight and a tag axle.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
After you get it loaded to your typical travel loading and get a 4 corner weight you will also get a lower tire pressure for a much better ride. Of course a smooth road helps.

Wind will still be a problem. The only real solution to that is 10K pounds more weight and a tag axle.
Will a steering stabilizer help any at all with the effects of wind? I mean it took all I had to hold my lane. I was down to 35MPH one time and even had to peel off the interstate to check my drawers! LOL I also have a sneaky suspicion the over inflated tires did not help the situation. Tomorrow, I am going to get it all loaded up with our crap and take it over to the scales. What am I looking for as far as weight on all four corners and how will I know what air pressure to run based on the weight information?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:36 AM   #175

Quote:
Will a steering stabilizer help any at all with the effects of wind? I mean it took all I had to hold my lane. I was down to 35MPH one time and even had to peel off the interstate to check my drawers! LOL I also have a sneaky suspicion the over inflated tires did not help the situation. Tomorrow, I am going to get it all loaded up with our crap and take it over to the scales. What am I looking for as far as weight on all four corners and how will I know what air pressure to run based on the weight information?
Assuming you have Goodyear's Goodyear tire-care-guide.pdf
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #176

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm glad to hear you made it back home safe. Best wishes to a fantastic and trouble free camping season. Hopefully you'll be willing to change your screen name.

As mentioned, it's pretty important to get your weights and adjust your pressures to suit for a better ride. I have a gas Challenger and the ride is pretty smooth but I run 85 PSI in the rear and 80 in the front. Your biggest challenge will be locating a source to get the corners weighed. A steel supplier I deal with has a pit scale for weighing those big coils of steel so all I had to do was to drive each corner over it. I was surprised how lop sided the weights were but that helped me rearrange the loading of the basement bays. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the cause of the fluids leaking out of the vents.

On my trip out to Elkhart for service I had to drive through the worst Tornado outbreak that area has ever had. Over 80 Tornado's touched down on the Sunday I was heading there. the storm was traversing from South to North and I was driving west. The winds were so bad they broke off the anti billowing arm off the drivers side slide topper. While I was parked trying to avoid a particularly mean looking set of storm cells (I drove the whole way with my weather app open so I could track the storm). I got out only to have the door ripped out of my hands and that took the gas spring and brackets right off. The fine folks at Elkhart made those repairs as well.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I'm glad to hear you made it back home safe. Best wishes to a fantastic and trouble free camping season. Hopefully you'll be willing to change your screen name.

The winds were so bad they broke off the anti billowing arm off the drivers side slide topper. While I was parked trying to avoid a particularly mean looking set of storm cells (I drove the whole way with my weather app open so I could track the storm). I got out only to have the door ripped out of my hands and that took the gas spring and brackets right off. The fine folks at Elkhart made those repairs as well.
I will most likely change my screen name. But it's too funny, the folks I met in Elkhart asked me if my irv2 name was Palazzoblues before I could get it out. LOL

Yes, while I was driving trough Indiana, the wind was so bad the slide toppers has banging against the billowing arm. I thought something was getting ready to fly off the side of the Palazzo. That is not a good thing.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #178

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
When we first bought our coach, we took it Freightliner in Gafney when we attended their Freightliner Camp, and had the four corners weighed there. We were loaded, but not by much. All our tanks were full. They set our weights at 90 in the front and 100 in the rear. Our ride is very smooth! The wind gusts, however, are a completely different issue. I'm the one who drives the Palazzo and I can relate to your 'pants' coment. One gust was so strong, that it pushed me halfway into the left hand lane. It was sudden and unexpected, not to mention very frightening. I was lucky there wasn't anyone driving to my left. I've heard that stabilizer bars help, but I've read mixed comments about how they fare on this forum and elsewhere.

I am so excited to hear that your Palazzo delivery went well and that Thor made sure to have everything in working order. You certainly have been through the ringer and deserve to finally be able to enjoy your coach. I am certain that once you get your unit on the road and have a chance to shake her up a bit more, you will be very happy with your purchase.

I'm glad eveything went off without a hitch! I'm really looking forward to my visit to Elkhart.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #179

Quote:
I will most likely change my screen name. But it's too funny, the folks I met in Elkhart asked me if my irv2 name was Palazzoblues before I could get it out. LOL .
I don't know Blues, I have gotten used to the name. You need to change your profile first. It is a 35.1 now. If you do change your screen name make sure we all know what you change it to. I personally have gotten to appreciate your attitude. Frustration was always there, but you continued to look forward with a hopeful attitude. I am glad things are looking up and once you drop your tire pressure you will find a much smoother ride. Happy travels!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #180

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Check this thread for extensive discussion on wind that affects all RVs.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=93563
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Gingerela,

Here are two pictures. One straight ahead & one from an angle. Look under your front hood. The connection for the air hose is center left under the hood and in the center of the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-981014869.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	543.9 KB
ID:	58317   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2303450499.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	58318  

Old 03-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #182

Quote:

Hey Mitch, It is is DPCruzer. Sorry we missed you leaving on Friday. We were waiting for them to finish installing the new slide mechanism and got out just before noon.
DPCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote