RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #225

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't blame all the people at Camping World. There are several in sales and parts that have been very helpful. Any work I have done outside of warranty on this unit or others has been great.

In reading posts on forums across several sites, it just appears to be the warranty issue resolution that is lacking, both at the dealer and if the dealer is telling the truth, from Thor. Once you can get in to the repair facility, I've read that they are great. Hope that stays true for when I get there next June.

So, yes, I see my only option as being to spend 10 days of my vacation time (3 days up, 4 days for repairs, 3 days back) and almost $2000 (fuel, hotels, meals, etc.) to get the unit to the people who know what they are doing.

What other choice does an owner have if he wants the repairs to his $200k motorhome done correctly?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #226

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
We just booked with Steve Reed to be in Elkhart the week of August 4th. No major items just a last check before my 1 year is up. Anybody else booked for that week ??
I'll pay you $500 to give up your August 4th timeslot so I can get in then.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #227

Thor Owners Club
(quote} Each time I called they said they were waiting on Thor to approve the repairs. Decided to take it to the repair facility, at my expense. Finally got approval for vacation time to drive to Elkhart only to find out they can't get to it then.

Based on the list of things that have been wrong with my unit and the poor warranty support after the sale, I'll never buy another Thor product. I've had other motorhomes that had issues, but never had the problems after the sale like I have with this unit. (quote)

Bill,
The part about waiting for dealer to get approval for repairs, any authorized dealer does not have to place a phone call to speak to somebody. The repair authorization is all web based and all dealer is to log in to get repair order #. This web base system is on 24/7.

Poor Warranty support on part of your dealer shouldn't, place Thor on that opinion unless you personally talked to customer service and got no satisfaction. Then your statement is justified.

Just my 2 cents
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Voyage View Post
(quote} Each time I called they said they were waiting on Thor to approve the repairs. Decided to take it to the repair facility, at my expense. Finally got approval for vacation time to drive to Elkhart only to find out they can't get to it then.

Based on the list of things that have been wrong with my unit and the poor warranty support after the sale, I'll never buy another Thor product. I've had other motorhomes that had issues, but never had the problems after the sale like I have with this unit. (quote)

Bill,
The part about waiting for dealer to get approval for repairs, any authorized dealer does not have to place a phone call to speak to somebody. The repair authorization is all web based and all dealer is to log in to get repair order #. This web base system is on 24/7.

Poor Warranty support on part of your dealer shouldn't, place Thor on that opinion unless you personally talked to customer service and got no satisfaction. Then your statement is justified.

Just my 2 cents
I agree with Don. The one and only time I took my Palazzo to CW was to get a leaking propane regulator replaced. After one week I checked in with CW and was told they were waiting on approval from Thor. I went home and called Thor and was told that no request for a regulator replacement had been requested. The rep I talked with at Thor took my name and address and had a regulator shipped to me over night.
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #229

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSkeen View Post
I'll pay you $500 to give up your August 4th timeslot so I can get in then.
Don't want the $500.. though.. DW would probably pay you to take the appointment. It's a long drive for us but even longer for you. But..For a fellow Texan.. we still have a home in SE TX so I still call myself a Texan.

Give me a week or so and let me get with the dealer to see when I can get in. My repairs are more cosmetic and my schedule is very flexible. My warranty is up this August 26th or so and that's the only reason we were going to make the trip but it also meant cancelling a trip to Pensacola, FL and DW is not fired up about cancelling the beach to go to Elkhart. And she hasn't cancelled the beach yet hoping I change my mind about Elkhart.

Of course I will tell her it was my idea and that she is more important than going to Elkhart...
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #230

Thor Service Updates

How do you guys get Mr Reed or Mr Stanley to respond to a request for an update on repairs. I delivered my coach on June 2nd with the thought I would recieve an update by June 6- Tech thought 4 or 5 days to repair. I emailed and attempted to call but no response.
CRay_Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #231
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRay_Tuscany View Post
How do you guys get Mr Reed or Mr Stanley to respond to a request for an update on repairs. I delivered my coach on June 2nd with the thought I would recieve an update by June 6- Tech thought 4 or 5 days to repair. I emailed and attempted to call but no response.
Did you email Steve Reed @ SReed@tmcrv.com ? He's always been very good about responding.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #232

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
Don't want the $500.. though.. DW would probably pay you to take the appointment. It's a long drive for us but even longer for you. But..For a fellow Texan.. we still have a home in SE TX so I still call myself a Texan.

Give me a week or so and let me get with the dealer to see when I can get in. My repairs are more cosmetic and my schedule is very flexible. My warranty is up this August 26th or so and that's the only reason we were going to make the trip but it also meant cancelling a trip to Pensacola, FL and DW is not fired up about cancelling the beach to go to Elkhart. And she hasn't cancelled the beach yet hoping I change my mind about Elkhart.

Of course I will tell her it was my idea and that she is more important than going to Elkhart...
I cannot find the words to accurately express how grateful I would be. If you do, please tell them you have someone ready to take your spot. Hopefully they won't give it to the next person on the list. Argh, feeling guilty about trying to cut in line now. I am sure others waiting would want your spot too and they would have more right to it than I do.

Whether or not it works out, if you two are ever near Austin, give us a ring. I would be honored to shake your hand, buy you a beer and/or some good BBQ!

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #233

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the responses all.

It's difficult to know where to direct frustration with all of this and to understand why the ones responsible for the warranty work at the dealers don't seem to care.

Bad news does not get better with time. Rhetorical question but why aren't they just honest and up front about it to begin with? Aren't they paid for doing the work? Is it not enough to cover their costs? It makes no sense to me.

I don't want to have to get mad and piss people off to get something done that should have been done correctly the first time. You can't build lasting relationships that way.

Bill
Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #234

We too had a lemon from Thor. Dealt with them way too many times. I can't believe it but we actually bought another one from them. It is better. However, have had fairly bad experience with their warranty people too. Currently we are camping on the west coast. Had a toilet leak and a shower leak. Called a local mobil service outfit that said they were authorized Thor service people. Fixed one of our problems and needed a part from Thor for the other one. After two days of trying to get through to Thor on what was described as a phone line only for service providers with no answer or call-back, they gave up and charged my credit card. I emailed Steve Reed and never heard back. I emailded Mark Stanley and never heard back. I called Steve Reed and left a voicemail. You guessed it. Never heard back. I won't be buying another Thor either. Some of the things Thor warranty people in Elkhart fixed for me either quickly broke again or we were told plain wrong information by them. You are right to swear off Thor. We join you in that camp. I wish I knew which manufacturers were more dependable.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #235

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Called again today and got scheduled in for September 8th. Also going to try taking to Total Value RV near Thor. Scheduled there for August 4th.

I am still not totally ready to dump Thor. I've made plenty of mistakes and appreciate having a chance to rectify them. I'll do the same for Thor. I know that somewhere there, there are hard working people who do care. Just got to get to the right ones.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #236

Carolina Campers
Elkhart Tips

So far, My experience with Thor has been totally excellent.

Latest example;
I was at Costco in Albuquerque, NM on Monday afternoon. I could not get the levelers to go up because the motor for the hydraulics system over heated.

I called Coach-Net, thinking that a Tech could at least walk me through the emergency override process to get them up so I could at least drive to my destination. They said they would have a Tech call me, so I was placed in the call que.

I hung up and decided to call Thor to see if they could help. Sure enough a Tech came on the line and I explained my issue. He walked me through the manual override process to raise the jacks. Then he said that once the motor over heats, the life expectancy is not good, therefore he said that he will contact a repair shop for me, overnight a complete hydraulics system and get me back on the road ASAP. They did not replace just the motor, but to insure that the was no other issue, they sent the entire system, with all the valves, etc. They even sent a new reservoir. He called me back in very short order, gave me the name and address of the RV shop, the contact person and phone number. He gave me his name and direct number. He said that if I had any issue to call him and he would take my call personally. It was too late to ship it that day so it had to be shipped on Tuesday. He said that they had me scheduled at the shop for 8:00 AM on Wednesday.

This happened so quickly that the Coach-Net Tech had not even called me back, so I called and cancelled that service request.

I took my coach in at 8:00 AM today and they completed the complete installation, and performed and oil change and filter's on the engine and the generator by 1:00 PM.

I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH THOR'S WARRANTY SERVICE AT THIS POINT!

Thanks,
Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #237

very cool... glad that worked out for you Ted!
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Did you email Steve Reed @ SReed@tmcrv.com ? He's always been very good about responding.

I guess I was a little impatient in my expectation of response time. Mr. Reed did contact me after 3 days and we have had several update communications since. Iím good for now and thanks for the response.
CRay_Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote