RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #253

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We confirmed our appointment for Elkhart. Will be there first week in November. We've read so many positive comments about experiences folks have had with the service center, we're happy to drive the 1200 miles for our coach to undergo a few adjustments by the experts. We're also looking forward to checking out the area while we are up there. We've read this entire thread and made notes of restaurants and activities in the area. Thanks for all of the suggestions! Will anyone else be there during the first week in November?

Stacie & Tom - RVTexasYall
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2
RVTexasYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #254

We also just got back from a 3600 mile trip from AZ to Ill and back( Palazzo did awesome) mostly dry camped! Got right at 10 MPH pulling....but I run a little to fast (like I-40 because of the straight 75 mile limits). I have listened and took to heart almost every comment in this forum....we are big fans!! Someone mentioned speedco for fast, cost effective oil changes.....so we found one in Joplin & Amarillo(we chose the one in TX do to the reviews). A couple comments...this was the first oil change/ fuel filter change & generator change for the motorhome! ( 13k on the engine & 200 hours on the gen 'yes 200'). So I stayed and watched the work being done......AND ITS A GOOD THING I DID! Oil and gen went ok...other than they did not have exact replacements...it was the fuel filter under the coach they tried to replace that was concerning. The original one that comes off the Palazzo is about 8 inches in length...barely sticking below the oil filter right next to it! ( well the filter has a plastic cap and fitting at the bottom from the factory)......Speedco put a new one on there that was 4 inches longer than the original....sticking well below the rest of the coach and yes with a plastic fitting just behind the axle in back! I ask them to put back on the original....seemed to be the much safer to me! Now why I'm telling you all this.....I was told by them(Speedco)to carry and extra oil & Fuel filter on board and then they could instal whatever I wished when it came time! I'm asking each of you if you have a system or have ran into this yourselves? Ps: they charged me 230.00 for engine oil change, gen oil change and adding differential oil on rear end(it was low)!
5125 N state Hwy 265, Branson, MO 65616thanks as always for your great responses
Palazzoteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #255

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoteam View Post
We also just got back from a 3600 mile trip from AZ to Ill and back( Palazzo did awesome) mostly dry camped! Got right at 10 MPH pulling....but I run a little to fast (like I-40 because of the straight 75 mile limits). I have listened and took to heart almost every comment in this forum....we are big fans!! Someone mentioned speedco for fast, cost effective oil changes.....so we found one in Joplin & Amarillo(we chose the one in TX do to the reviews). A couple comments...this was the first oil change/ fuel filter change & generator change for the motorhome! ( 13k on the engine & 200 hours on the gen 'yes 200'). So I stayed and watched the work being done......AND ITS A GOOD THING I DID! Oil and gen went ok...other than they did not have exact replacements...it was the fuel filter under the coach they tried to replace that was concerning. The original one that comes off the Palazzo is about 8 inches in length...barely sticking below the oil filter right next to it! ( well the filter has a plastic cap and fitting at the bottom from the factory)......Speedco put a new one on there that was 4 inches longer than the original....sticking well below the rest of the coach and yes with a plastic fitting just behind the axle in back! I ask them to put back on the original....seemed to be the much safer to me! Now why I'm telling you all this.....I was told by them(Speedco)to carry and extra oil & Fuel filter on board and then they could instal whatever I wished when it came time! I'm asking each of you if you have a system or have ran into this yourselves? Ps: they charged me 230.00 for engine oil change, gen oil change and adding differential oil on rear end(it was low)!
5125 N state Hwy 265, Branson, MO 65616thanks as always for your great responses

When I had my one year service done in at Freightliner service in Gaffney, SC, I left with a complete set of filters in case I end up needing them. What brand/type of oil did they use?
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #256

Elkhart Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
When I had my one year service done in at Freightliner service in Gaffney, SC, I left with a complete set of filters in case I end up needing them. What brand/type of oil did they use?

They said most folks use shell(none synthetic)....did I make the right choice?
Palazzoteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #257

Monaco Owners Club
Shell Rotella T. Dino oil... Good stuff. Very good advice on carrying the extra filters. Use them next year and replace with fresh ones.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #258

Carolina Campers
Elkhart Tips

I only use Mobile 1 synthetic oil.

IMHO, far better than non-synthetic, lasts longer than non-synthetic, takes engine abuse better.... Etc.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #259

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I only use Mobile 1 synthetic oil.

IMHO, far better than non-synthetic, lasts longer than non-synthetic, takes engine abuse better.... Etc.

But is it approved by Cummins for diesel? And when oil is measured in gallons would the extra cost make sense?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #260

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Shell Rotella T. Dino oil... Good stuff. Very good advice on carrying the extra filters. Use them next year and replace with fresh ones.

Just checked my invoice from Freightliner service in Gaffney, SC. They used Shell Rotella T.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #261

Entegra Owners Club
I'll be arriving in elkhart next Sunday evening at thor, any fellow comrades going to be there too?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
Just checked my invoice from Freightliner service in Gaffney, SC. They used Shell Rotella T.
What say the gasser members? Anyone using oil other than conventional in the V-10 Tritons? If you are, do you lengthen the interval for oil and filter changes? And what about in Onan generators?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #263

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
What say the gasser members? Anyone using oil other than conventional in the V-10 Tritons? If you are, do you lengthen the interval for oil and filter changes? And what about in Onan generators?

That depends on several things...

If you are still under the warranty period, you need service records to show that you are staying within the owners manual guidelines, regardless if you use a synthetic oil or not. The V-10 is rated at a 5,000 mile range between oil changes, even using non-synthetic oil.

If your driving at highway speeds, and driving longer distances between stopping, then you actually have less impact on oil viscosity than if you drive shorter distances with a lot of stop and starts. If you drive on dirt roads a lot, you need to change your oil sooner than when doing highway driving, etc, etc...

When just comparing normal speeds with longer distance highway driving, with non-synthetic oil, you would want to limit your milage between oil changes to 5,000 miles, where many would say to change it even sooner. With a synthetic oil, like Mobile 1, it would not be a problem to go 7,500 miles between oil changes.

Regardless, with synthetic oil, you run cooler and have far less breakdown in viscosity over the same mileage as you would with non-synthetic oil, so the simple answer is yes, you can extend the time between oil changes without impacting your engines performance and/or increasing the wear.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #264

[QUOTE=tedgard01;2166010]That depends on several things...

If you are still under the warranty period, you need service records to show that you are staying within the owners manual guidelines, regardless if you use a synthetic oil or not. The V-10 is rated at a 5,000 mile range between oil changes, even using non-synthetic oil.

My Ford manual says 7500 miles is the required interval, and recommends conventional oil.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #265

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Made it to Elkhart and dropped my Palazzo off at Total Value RV on Monday. Bill indicated it may only take a couple of days to get through my list. He said there did not appear to be any major issues. (FYI, after having my unit for 14 weeks and blaming Thor for not providing authorizations, Camping World told me the whole slide had to be removed to replace a missing gasket.)

Took the tour of the Palazzo plant in Wakarusa. One word - "Awesome". It really helps to give you an appreciation of the amount of work that goes into building our motorhomes. All of the engineering and attention to details that are not visible but really make the Palazzo a Great RV to own. I was almost a little embarrassed about my list of issues after the tour. Knowing what I know now, I would put most of the blame for the mess with my coach on Camping World.

If you are ever in Elkhart, take the factory tour. Our tour guide was Collin, a diesel expert, a very knowledgeable and caring Thor employee.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #266

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSkeen View Post
If you are ever in Elkhart, take the factory tour. Our tour guide was Collin, a diesel expert, a very knowledgeable and caring Thor employee.
X2. I took both tours, Wakarusa where they build the diesels and high end Class A Gassers like my Challenger, and also the Class C plant where they also build the ACE. That plant is in the next street to the service facility.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote