RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Well, looks like this might just turn into a party. We'll be there the week of March 10th, too! I'm excited, to be honest. Can't wait to see what it's like there. I'm looking forward to the tour and a visit to meet Tom Overton who has been instrumental in my Palazzo tutelage. BTW, I hadn't heard of the incident with your second (replacement) unit! Wow, what a crazy story. I hope this finally seals the deal for you. See you there
So we now have three of us there the same week! Palazzoblues, Gingerela and Palazzoteam....you may get that party after all...have either of you been told what time tours are on a daily basis.....we arrive around 1pm from Phoenix(can we tour that same day)?
Palazzoteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoteam View Post
So we now have three of us there the same week! Palazzoblues, Gingerela and Palazzoteam....you may get that party after all...have either of you been told what time tours are on a daily basis.....we arrive around 1pm from Phoenix(can we tour that same day)?
Dpcruzer also said they arrive this same week!! Anyone else?
Palazzoteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:01 AM   #87

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The tours are on different days for different factories. I took a tour of the old Monaco facility on a Wednesday at 3:30. There is also the Newmar tour in Nappanee (sp) that's worth a look. Personally, I was more impressed with the build at Thor but it was cool to see how the other guys do it.

I found a really good Italian restaurant, Lucchese’s Italian Restaurant just south on Rt 17 Lucchese's Italian Restaurant - Elkhart, IN | Yelp

And this neat little Mexican place I thought had the best Avocado dip, El Maguey Grill. El Maguey Grill - Elkhart, IN | Yelp

And don't forget the RV hall of fame. It's a really interesting museum of the RV industry.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoteam View Post
I will not get there until Wednesday night and staying in a hotel. I will be at the service center Thursday. Has anyone ever talked to Tony P. at Thor? Really nice guy and he got everything setup for me. Unfortunately he is on vacation until Monday on the week we go. I have not really gone into specifics like how we are going to do things. However, all I know is I am supposed to go through The Palazzo with the Service Techs. I am sure that will take a large chunk of the day. I hope it is inside when we do that so we will not be out in the cold. I really did not set a firm time when I wanted to leave with the Palazzo but I did say I'd like to stay till Friday to make sure there are no other problems.

This will be an interesting situation as I have some paper work to sign for Camping World before this coach is "officially" mine. Camping world will have to Fedex paperwork to Thor so I can sign. They will be sending me a NC temporary paper tag. Everything will go down as if I was in NC. This should be interesting. They are doing this to make sure I am satisfied before I sign any paper work. Thor and Camping World have been very accommodating to this situation. I think everyone can agree to that!
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #89

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
The tours are on different days for different factories. I took a tour of the old Monaco facility on a Wednesday at 3:30. There is also the Newmar tour in Nappanee (sp) that's worth a look. Personally, I was more impressed with the build at Thor but it was cool to see how the other guys do it.

I found a really good Italian restaurant, Lucchese’s Italian Restaurant just south on Rt 17 Lucchese's Italian Restaurant - Elkhart, IN | Yelp

And this neat little Mexican place I thought had the best Avocado dip, El Maguey Grill. El Maguey Grill - Elkhart, IN | Yelp

And don't forget the RV hall of fame. It's a really interesting museum of the RV industry.
Thanks so much for the great tips! We'll be renting a car since we are likely to be there all week. Steve Reed told us we should be done by Thursday afternoon, so I scheduled an appointment with Freightliner for Friday. I'm trying to figure out how to fit in an appointment for some custom work at Total RV. We want them to run coax and connections from the wet bay to the bedroom and also to the front of the coach so we can use our Pathway antenna without having to run wires through the windows. I'm going to call them to see if they can service us on Saturday before we leave.

Despite the issues and concerns, I am really excited to visit Thor's factory and meet the people who have been so helpful to me over the phone. Added bonus? Meeting some of you in person.

Palazzoblues, I'm sure we'll find you one way or another!
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Thanks so much for the great tips! We'll be renting a car since we are likely to be there all week. Steve Reed told us we should be done by Thursday afternoon, so I scheduled an appointment with Freightliner for Friday. I'm trying to figure out how to fit in an appointment for some custom work at Total RV. We want them to run coax and connections from the wet bay to the bedroom and also to the front of the coach so we can use our Pathway antenna without having to run wires through the windows. I'm going to call them to see if they can service us on Saturday before we leave.

Despite the issues and concerns, I am really excited to visit Thor's factory and meet the people who have been so helpful to me over the phone. Added bonus? Meeting some of you in person.

Palazzoblues, I'm sure we'll find you one way or another!
Yes, I am finally getting excited. It has been hard to be this way after all this time. I wish my wife could come too, but she's got work and the kids. So, here is the only thing I've been able to look at for the past couple of weeks to say hey, that is mine!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #91

Actually I have some very good questions not directly related to Elkhart, but on the drive back to NC. Okay, so picture this, (Me) driving a brand new Motor home back from the factory after all I been through and to top it off thinking about the one before this one a driver wrecked into a snow bank.

But what will be the best and safest way back to NC from Indiana also with the possibility of some snowy conditions. I have looked at the Maps and so far I have thought about leaving Elkhart on US 20 east to I69 S trough Ft wayne, to Indianapolis to I65S to Louisville to I64E to Lexington to I75S to Knoxville to 40E. The rest I am very familiar with from Knoxville and on... East bond and down, If U know what I mean. I have taken the I77 route through West Virginia before but getting over there and will take me a little further east further up north. What do Y'all think?

I plan on driving over a Saturday and Sunday. So hopefully traffic will not be a huge problem. I'm thinking about laying over somewhere between Lexington and Knoxville. Is that realistic?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #92

I live in Louisville and have been everywhere in between. I-65 to Louisville, to I-64 / Lexington, to I-75 is all good road provided it doesn't snow. The interstates clear quickly so that's not likely to be a big issue. They are calling for an ice storm here in Louisville / Southern Indiana Sunday night into Monday morning. By mid-week temps will be back in the 40s.

Elkhart to Louisville will take you close to 4 hours I think. Depending on how early you leave, you should be able to make the Corbin, KY area by dark. There is a Walmart you can stay in there (we've done it many times) or another one a few miles north in London, KY. If you're looking for a campground, Renfro Valley is in the area and close to the interstate. If it were me, I wouldn't go south of Corbin after dark. Once the interstate hits Jellico it gets dark and windey and the pavement is NOT in good condition (I just came through there last weekend). You'll want to be able to see the road good.

I'd avoid West Virginia at all costs.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #93

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you decide to remain on I-65 south of Louisville to pick up the parkway east to I-75, you are certainly welcome to stay at our place (right off I-65 south in Elizabethtown, KY). The drive on to I-65 to Bowling Green and the parkway east may be a little longer, but it would get you farther south if bad weather is an issue. Good luck with the new Palazzo!

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I live in Louisville and have been everywhere in between. I-65 to Louisville, to I-64 / Lexington, to I-75 is all good road provided it doesn't snow. The interstates clear quickly so that's not likely to be a big issue. They are calling for an ice storm here in Louisville / Southern Indiana Sunday night into Monday morning. By mid-week temps will be back in the 40s.

Elkhart to Louisville will take you close to 4 hours I think. Depending on how early you leave, you should be able to make the Corbin, KY area by dark. There is a Walmart you can stay in there (we've done it many times) or another one a few miles north in London, KY. If you're looking for a campground, Renfro Valley is in the area and close to the interstate. If it were me, I wouldn't go south of Corbin after dark. Once the interstate hits Jellico it gets dark and windey and the pavement is NOT in good condition (I just came through there last weekend). You'll want to be able to see the road good.

I'd avoid West Virginia at all costs.
Thanks Topdown... great information. We went through WV on 77 and had to pay the toll just to ride on bad bumpy roads. That was in the summer. I can imagine what it's like there now and into even the next couple of weeks. I still got to get across the Appalachian mountains but I am way more familiar with I40 and the weather should be much better as far as any snow goes.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #95

Hey to Bronk! I'm just off exit 121 (Brooks) off I-65. We're neighbors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
If you decide to remain on I-65 south of Louisville to pick up the parkway east to I-75, you are certainly welcome to stay at our place (right off I-65 south in Elizabethtown, KY). The drive on to I-65 to Bowling Green and the parkway east may be a little longer, but it would get you farther south if bad weather is an issue. Good luck with the new Palazzo!

Bronk
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #96

thats a great looking coach... is the DEF on the driver side?

Are you guys/gals gonna put some fresh water in the tank?

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
thats a great looking coach... is the DEF on the driver side?

Are you guys/gals gonna put some fresh water in the tank?

Yup, DEF on left side. It is interesting to note that DEF is - Aqueous Urea Solution made with 32.5% high-purity urea (AUS 32) and 67.5% deionized water. I really wonder what would happen if one was to put fresh water in there.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #98

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
Yup, DEF on left side. It is interesting to note that DEF is - Aqueous Urea Solution made with 32.5% high-purity urea (AUS 32) and 67.5% deionized water. I really wonder what would happen if one was to put fresh water in there.
Q. Is the 32.5% urea solution critical?
A. Yes, The 32.5% urea concentration is the ideal solution as it provides the lowest freeze point. Also, SCR systems will be calibrated to the 32.5%, so that optimum NOx will be reduced during operation.
Q. What is the freeze point of DEF?
A. A 32.5% solution of DEF will begin to crystallize and freeze at 12 deg F (-11 deg C). At 32.5%, both the urea and water will freeze at the same rate, ensuring that as it thaws, the fluid does not become diluted, or over concentrated. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote