RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 184
A naive question. I also have a 33.2 and I would have to travel from Utah to Indiana, just a little bit farther than you. My question is: Are these trips to the Indiana Factory a real necessity even if there are no complaints with the MH? Is it good anyway that they go over the unit, or is it something the dealer could do as well? I am asking because the distance is so big. Thanks.

Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #114
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
A naive question. I also have a 33.2 and I would have to travel from Utah to Indiana, just a little bit farther than you. My question is: Are these trips to the Indiana Factory a real necessity even if there are no complaints with the MH? Is it good anyway that they go over the unit, or is it something the dealer could do as well? I am asking because the distance is so big. Thanks. Mauro 2014 Palazzo 33.2 2014 Jeep Cherokee
If there is nothing wrong and you have no other reason to go to Elkhart I would say don't waste the fuel. On the other hand if you are traveling to or near the Thor factory it is a good idea to have Thor give your coach the once over. Can a local dealer do what Thor does as good as Thor...IMHO, No! The Thor techs have looked at many Palazzo's and they have the support of the factory at their finger tips. They will find and fix things that you have not noticed.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #115
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 441
I completely agree that no one but Thor can examine your unit in the same manner. I have had so many bad experiences already with a variety of service dealers, and I know for a fact that they are ill equipped and inexperienced. Few are detail oriented. The majority don't have the equipment or space to pull out full wall slides and such. I know of a few, but I wouldn't go there if I had a choice.

My understanding is that Thor will go over your unit and give it the thorough inspection that your unit didn't get when it came off the assembly line. They will also update things they've improved upon since your unit was built. If you have no problems whatsoever, it may not be worth the trip, but for people like me who have a 36.1 with a full wall slide that has started to sag in the middle two months after purchasing it new, I have no other recourse.

I would not chance it with a local service dealer.
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #116
Senior Member
 
Redridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
I completely agree that no one but Thor can examine your unit in the same manner. I have had so many bad experiences already with a variety of service dealers, and I know for a fact that they are ill equipped and inexperienced. Few are detail oriented. The majority don't have the equipment or space to pull out full wall slides and such. I know of a few, but I wouldn't go there if I had a choice.

My understanding is that Thor will go over your unit and give it the thorough inspection that your unit didn't get when it came off the assembly line. They will also update things they've improved upon since your unit was built. If you have no problems whatsoever, it may not be worth the trip, but for people like me who have a 36.1 with a full wall slide that has started to sag in the middle two months after purchasing it new, I have no other recourse.

I would not chance it with a local service dealer.
I agree, dealers dont want to fix your MH, warranty service is their cash cow at the expense of the manufacturer... the RV industry is a mess.
__________________
Ferdinand,
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2017 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #117
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 184
Thank you very much for your advice. I'll make an effort and make the trip. May be I could take four or five days and look for something interesting to see along Interstate 80.....

Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #118
Senior Member
 
Butte64's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mount Olive Shores North, FL
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
Thank you very much for your advice. I'll make an effort and make the trip. May be I could take four or five days and look for something interesting to see along Interstate 80.....

Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Since you have an interest in aviation there is the museum at Offut AFB with some interesting planes and maybe while your coach is being worked on go for a side trip to Dayton for the great USAF museum.. The B-36 and B-70 are impressive.


http://www.sasmuseum.com/about-us/
__________________
Jerry
2018 Entegra Aspire 42DEQ Sweet Victory
2017 Grand Cherokee
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #119
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 500
Yes, Gingerala, undercoating your Palazzo is doable, and although the job may be messy and tedious, it can be easily accomplished with some of the rust preventive materials that are available. Of course the bare metal would have to be prepped-sanded to remove rust and scale before application of rust inhibiting material (paint). If I drive through salt on occasion, I use my power washer to spray underneath the motor home.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #120
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Cleaning off Salt

Seeing that we are on the subject of salt and the damage it could do if not cleaned off in a timely manner. What about all you folks that camp near the ocean? Your RV will be subjected to salt air that should be washed off. Getting to the underside of the RV is problematic and I would be interested if someone has a good way to wash down the chassis?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #121
Senior Member
 
HDRoadking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Seeing that we are on the subject of salt and the damage it could do if not cleaned off in a timely manner. What about all you folks that camp near the ocean? Your RV will be subjected to salt air that should be washed off. Getting to the underside of the RV is problematic and I would be interested if someone has a good way to wash down the chassis?
I have lived in Florida all my life and have not been overly concerned about it, but I guess our cars do have undercoating. When we launch a boat we hose down the trailer and the vehicle, but that is about it. When going to the beach we usually didn't even bother washing the vehicle right away.
__________________
Bob
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #122
Senior Member
 
bdickson's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wherever the rig is parked
Posts: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
If there is nothing wrong and you have no other reason to go to Elkhart I would say don't waste the fuel. On the other hand if you are traveling to or near the Thor factory it is a good idea to have Thor give your coach the once over. Can a local dealer do what Thor does as good as Thor...IMHO, No! The Thor techs have looked at many Palazzo's and they have the support of the factory at their finger tips. They will find and fix things that you have not noticed.
Just an off the wall thought: has anyone had Thor do the "once over" on a coach that is out of warranty and what might be an approximate cost?
__________________
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #123
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 441
Looks like our trip to Elkhart next week is going to be a bust. We are going to have to postpone it until May which is the next available. They have end of March openings, but I am not able to go then and I'm not even sure the weather would be much different. April is all booked up.

I spoke to Steve Reed this morning to discuss the appointment date and mentioned the salt issue we've been talking about here. He said someone had once shared how they cleaned off the salt from the undercarriage and it seemed to work well:

Take an oscillating lawn watering sprinkler and attach it to your garden hose. Run this under the coach (starting from the rear) until you reach the front end. Turn it on and let the water run for 20 minutes. Pull the hose back towards the rear a bit and let it run another 20 minutes. Repeat until you've reached the very back of the coach.

I have also been to a trusk wash and they will wash the undercarriage for you. I just wasn't sure if there was a way to treat it permanently so I wouldn't have to worry about it going forward, in the same way I don't have to worry about my car.

I was really looking forward to the Elkhart trip, but I guess Mother Nature is in control of that. She seems to be really pissed off this year!
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #124
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Seeing that we are on the subject of salt and the damage it could do if not cleaned off in a timely manner. What about all you folks that camp near the ocean? Your RV will be subjected to salt air that should be washed off. Getting to the underside of the RV is problematic and I would be interested if someone has a good way to wash down the chassis?

My background is in boating...primarily in salt water.
There are paints available that are labeled Rust Reformer that will react with the rust and form a bond that protects from additional rust.
A friend of mine had real rust on his fifth wheel and repaired it all with this type of paint. Google it and you will get choices.

It does require that you get beneath the MH but not much wire brushing is needed
__________________
Ron & Susan
2014 Palazzo 36.1
2013 Subaru Outback
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #125
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Just an off the wall thought: has anyone had Thor do the "once over" on a coach that is out of warranty and what might be an approximate cost?
Many of us have taken our coach to Thor and had work done post warranty. Not exactly a PDI but they look over the coach and fix things that you may not of noticed but they found on other coaches. They kind of have their own punch list. In most cases, post warranty, there isn't a charge for labor but if they use some parts they may charge for the part. In the 3 times I have been to Thor, 1 under warranty and 2 out of warranty they never charged me anything.

The Thor Diesel Club has it's annual fall rally in Goshen (near Elkhart) and each coach can submit up to 3 service items and Thor will fix them, again at no charge unless they use some parts.

If someone wanted service on an older, way out of warranty, coach I would call and try to make an appointment and see what they are willing to do? Appointments are getting harder to schedule without weeks of wait time and Thor may be reluctant to take in an older coach at the expense of scheduling a warranty visit for a current customer.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #126
Senior Member
 
ChallengerRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,080
I use "chassis saver" on my farm equipment. We just wash a piece of equipment to get most of the dirt & grease off. It is a paint that is a bit thicker than regular paint. When it dries it will kinda look like the equipment has been covered like a bed liner in a pick up. Just spray it right over the rust & it attaches and covers up great. You can brush it on or use a paint sprayer. Once you open the can it is best to use up the can as it will generally harden in the can after it sits for awhile. If someone want more info I can get a paint number off a can I have in the barn. It is made to paint frame rails that have rust on them.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TS Quick Tip's & Mod's "007" Travel Supreme Owner's Forum 35 10-03-2018 06:58 AM
Your RV From Space Scarab0088 Thor Industries Owner's Forum 10 03-15-2015 01:17 AM
Winter travel advice? Tips? Deborita iRV2.com General Discussion 40 11-12-2013 09:29 PM
salt lake to indiana bound lp5151 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 9 10-07-2013 05:47 AM
RV refridgerator maintenance tips rshackleford RV Systems & Appliances 2 07-03-2013 10:34 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.