Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

Front Bunk Near Catastrophe

Riding down US 222 in southern Pennsylvania late last week, we were on a particularly bad stretch of rough road when we hit one of those monster bumps that make you think the coach is really coming apart. As we hit this bump, we heard something that sounded like the crack of a rifle. Looking up we see the drop down bunk on the left side wobbling up and down. The DW and I look for and soon find a place to pull off in a parking lot.

I tried to do a quick diagnosis of the issue and found that the bracket that holds the front of the bunk was held in place by two screws. These had sheared off and the bracket was loose. I admit that we had those front compartments heavily loaded and I guess we did hit a really big bump, but two screws? That was all that was holding that bunk. We quickly unloaded the cabinets and took a look at the right side. Those screws appeared solid. The cables were still in place that attach to the bracket. So there were three points of support, counting the two pins in the back of the bunk. Our destination, after three hundred fifty miles of driving for the day, was only 35 miles away. So we headed back out on the road and did safely arrive at our destination.

We were traveling with another couple, caravan of two, and both of us made our living as engineers, so the ideas on the issue soon started to fly. I soon realized just how dangerous the situation was with only two screws holding the front of the bunk up. If those two had let go, the bunk would have let go into my face while driving.

I looked at the available tools and equipment and soon we found a possible way to prop up the bunk so I could put some new screws in the bracket. I found that the brace that is used to hold the slide in while driving has adjustments so that I could use that brace as a post. Since it also can be screwed in for pressure I was able to use it to force the bunk back into place. Of course I had to use some padding on each end to keep from damaging the fabric that covers the dash and bottom of the bunk cabinets.

Then I was able to put a self tapping screw back into the existing bracket hole. I also drilled the bracket to allow another screw in the bunk. I did not think the holes in the bracket were positioned well as the outside hole for the screw did not have enough edge distance to hold the screw without shearing out.

This repair held for the six hundred plus miles home. I plan to talk to Thor about the issue. I think I will also add another screw to the repaired side and replace the screws on the undamaged side as they may have suffered an overstress situation. I am attaching a picture of the post (brace) used to set the bunk back in place, and two pictures showing the bracket in question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	130130   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	130131  

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	130132  
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Glad no one was injured by the bunk falling down on them or someone in the bunk riding it to the floor.

I'd probably replace the screws with lag bolts or at least cabinet screws that are designed for shear forces.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the post, Bob! That could definitely have been a catastrophic event if both sides had given way.

Getting motorhome ready for trip on soon. Going to get out my drill now to add some more screws.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
That would terrify me! I'm happy to hear no one was injured. You are lucky you know enough to assess the problem and repair it. I'd be freaking out and wondering where the heck I'd have that repaired.
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the "heads up" on this problem. Anyone whom owns a Thor knows they use the weakest screws you can buy.. I will look into the condition of mine as well.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #6

Screw Size for Bunk Repair

After talking with Thor, they provided information on the screw size needed for the bunk. They are shown on the plans as "screw, 1/4-14 X 1-1/2"(Hex washer self drilling T-3, Zinc)". I am pretty sure that the ones that broke were not this large. I know the repair I made on the road did not use this large a screw. So I believe that a smaller size was used during assembly, thus the failure. I will be checking the side that did not fail, and then procuring larger screws before going back on the road. I think that the screws that failed were probably #8 instead of the #14. That has significantly less cross sectional area, which is directly related to the strength of the screw.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #7

Pictures of required screws versus what was installed.

I am attaching a picture of what is required versus what was installed. The required screw is on the left. In center is what I removed from the still intact right side bracket. The two screw heads are the failed screws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	130494  
Old 06-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #8

wow.... not good, gonna check mine right away. Thanks for sharing.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
To attach a bunk over the driver's seat with such undersized fasteners isn't just incompetent but almost criminal. Had that bunk fallen on driver while in motion could have resulted in a serious accident. I'd send that photo to Thor and suggest they issue a recall to inspect all models with bunks installed. It might be something the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) should be involved in making sure it's done.

Sadly another illustration of the poor inspection and quality control in the RV industry.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #10

Thanks for the info. I just checked mine and it already has the bigger screws with a 3/8" head. Interesting and mine is a 2014.5. Amazing how a half model year can improve. Thor continually goes through a learning process, apparently.
paid-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Just checked mine and I have the same screws that failed on yours. I'm so worried now. I'm on the road for the next six weeks with my ten year old who sits in the passenger seat. One more thing to stress about for the next six weeks!

Is it an easy fix? What's involved? I'm not sure if I have what I need, or if it's even something I could do by myself. My other half is home in MD, not that he'd have a clue either.

Here's a link to a pic of mine which was an early 2014 build:

https://imgur.com/a/Jxr5B
Old 06-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Just checked mine and I have the same screws that failed on yours. I'm so worried now. I'm on the road for the next six weeks with my ten year old who sits in the passenger seat. One more thing to stress about for the next six weeks!

Is it an easy fix? What's involved? I'm not sure if I have what I need, or if it's even something I could do by myself. My other half is home in MD.

Here's a link to a pic of mine which was an early 2014 build:

https://imgur.com/a/Jxr5B
You'll need a 1/4" drill bit, a drill, some 1/4-14 X 1-1/2"(Hex washer self drilling T-3, Zinc) A phillips screwdriver to remove the old screws and a wrench or nut driver to fit the new bolts. All available at any home improvement or hardware store. If your in a campground, you might be able to borrow a drill from a neighbor or the campground.

Once you drill through the metal and a 1/4" or so into the backing, put a bit of soap on the threads of the new bolts and tighten them up. The soap makes them easier to screw them in.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You'll need a 1/4" drill bit, a drill, some 1/4-14 X 1-1/2"(Hex washer self drilling T-3, Zinc) A phillips screwdriver to remove the old screws and a wrench or nut driver to fit the new bolts. All available at any home improvement or hardware store. If your in a campground, you might be able to borrow a drill from a neighbor or the campground.

Once you drill through the metal and a 1/4" or so into the backing, put a bit of soap on the threads of the new bolts and tighten them up. The soap makes them easier to screw them in.

I've got all of that on board except for the new bolts. The only difficulty I see is gaining access to that area. It's rather tight. I don't think my drill would even fit in there! From what I can see, it seems that the screws could end up going in at an angle instead of straight up.

Also, would I have to support the cabinet with something before the screws are removed? I'm not sure how all of that is connected. I'd want to make sure it doesn't all come tumbling down in my head!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd think replacing the screws one at a time would be safe. A prop to take the weight off the bracket wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

Bob & Donna

Tags
cat