Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:16 AM   #1

Generator belts

Has anyone with a palazzo had to replace generator belts yet.
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 08:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
Has anyone with a palazzo had to replace generator belts yet.

I haven't, but I have done all the other maintenance on the generator. My coach is a 2015, so when that needs to be done, the generator will need to be lowered to change the belt. Too bad it wasn't designed to slide out like the newer coaches.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Usually in the 7 year mark is where they say to replace. It’s not a difficult job, just getting access to the sheet metal bolts. Top off left side loose and you can get the back off. Once you get in, change the water temp sender too.

You can get to the bolts by just lowering the unit without removing completely. I have also read people cut an access panel in the rear panel. The new Onan’s have an access panel built in from factory.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corc View Post
Usually in the 7 year mark is where they say to replace. It’s not a difficult job, just getting access to the sheet metal bolts. Top off left side loose and you can get the back off. Once you get in, change the water temp sender too.

You can get to the bolts by just lowering the unit without removing completely. I have also read people cut an access panel in the rear panel. The new Onan’s have an access panel built in from factory.

OK, Now you have peaked my interest. We have a 2015 that would normally have to be dropped to do the belt maintenance.

Do you have any info on where an access panel can be cut to gain access to the belt ? I would love to do this to mine.

Any info is greatly appreciated. You say top of the left side...Is this the drivers side you are referring to ?
Old 08-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a picture with the generator removed. The top and back panel have been removed. You can easily see the belt.

Give me a day and I will find you a picture of the access panel. You would have to cut sheet metal and the foil/fiberglas insulation. I don’t think Onan has a retro kit, but even if they did you would have to remove the rear panel.

The belt is behind the rear panel, which is the one at the back of the motorhome, opposite the black panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3015.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	338072
Old 08-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also if you drop the generator, don’t forget to change the water temperature sensor. It fails at about the same age and is only about a 12 dollar item. It is the brass item, dead center of the photo with the white wire connected. Access is easy once you get the top panel off. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3018.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	338075
Old 08-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Also if you drop the generator, don’t forget to change the water temperature sensor. It fails at about the same age and is only about a 12 dollar item. It is the brass item, dead center of the photo with the white wire connected. Access is easy once you get the top panel off. Attachment 338075

Corc, What type of jack did you use to lower your generator ? Can you please post a picture of it ?
Old 08-24-2021, 09:32 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used an ATV jack. Makes the job very manageable when used with coach’s leveling jacks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3367.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	340891
Old 08-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
I used an ATV jack. Makes the job very manageable when used with coach’s leveling jacks.

Attachment 340891
Hello Corc,
Sorry to keep bothering you but I want to know how high you lifted
your coach with the front jacks.

Also did you only lift the front with the jacks ?

After lowering the generator, did you have the coach high enough to be able to slide the generator completely out from under the coach ?

Thanks for all your help

I am collecting all the parts and buying a a jack so I can tackle this in the fall when it is a bit cooler. I also downloaded a service manual from Onan today for $9.95.
There is lots of good info in it. I think it was well worth it.

I was quoted $2,400 from Cummins today to do the work for me.
I decided I can spend my money more wisely than that,
$2,400 will buy a lot of steak, baked potatoes, lobster and beer.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I didn’t move it all the way out, just lowered it with the jack and then raised the coach to give me some clearance to work. I didn’t want to remove all the AC wires. I don’t remember if it could have slid out all the way.

You just have to gain access to the top panel bolts. (10mm socket). Rear belt is easy. Need to raise RV enough for space on top to get to the water temp sensor. To gain access to the sensor with socket, I had to drill a 1” hole in the white cold/hot wall. Easy to cover up with tape. If the sensor breaks on removal, don’t panic it can be rectified. Don’t forget to replace this sensor, it will piss you off later.

Take it slow and you will be fine. It’s a bunch of beer you can buy with the savings.

Holler if you need help.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #11

Sorry, but I have one more question. I plan on replacing the top and bottom radiator hoses, but on the engine diagram there is one called a "lower engine hose" did you replace it also ?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2021, 05:28 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My hoses were still firm and fine, I did not replace them. The radiator is near the top on left side front as you are standing at the front facing toward the back.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:31 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Finally got the picture of the new belt access panel on the diesel generator. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3641.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	343729
Old 09-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #14

I don't know about these.. but if it has thermostat... change that out too.. just adding.. good luck and keep us posted

Tags
generator