Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slides may or may not be a problem at least till you learn how they work.

I have 3 slides, one rack and pinion (power Gear) and two cable cars (Accu-Slide) one of them has yet to give me tribble.

The Power Gear used to give me fits,, Till some nice poster here on one of the forums told me how to tame it (Longer bolts) It sheard 1/4" grade 8 bolts like you would not believe, turns out I was buying bolts that were too short so it sheared the threaded part, A longer bolt the smooth shank extends through the shank and you washer it up to make the nut tighten down properly (Nylock so it does not come off).

The one Accuslide broke a cable. If the end of the cable is "lost" it is a real WITCH to replace.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #30
RV8

Has anybody not had trouble with slide

wa8yxm
The original poster referred specifically to a Thor Palazzo he was looking to buy. Telling him all about your slides on your Intruder is not a whole lot of help. But it may help steer him to buy an Intruder.
RV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #31
MKM

Took delivery of our 33.2 in Oct. 2013. Numerous deployments over 12,000 miles with no issues.
MKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Problem, No Repair, Yes

We never have had problems with our large slide. We bought ours in May of 2013, and, after reading about the problems other were having that summer, we took it back to CW and had them upgrade the motors and whatever else was needed.

We delivered the unit to CW in September and didn't get it back until the middle of December. No problems from then until we were at Thor in May of 2014 and they said the upgrades done by CW to the slide were done right.

The slide worked without problems during our 12,000+ mile trip visiting all 48 lower states this calendar year. However, I cross my fingers and utter a little prayer every time I hit the extend switch.
Dadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I'm from the toy hauler world and there is strong agreement that the Schwintek slides you are all talking about are junk. I have that system on my Voltage and I'll never buy another rv with that slide system.

The problem with the "I will never buy another RV with the Schwintec system" mentality is there are SO MANY other RV's that use the same system! MH's over 39 ft seem to offer more hydrolic slide systems, but the shorter coaches all seem to only use the Schwintec Slide Systems. So if you are in the market for a 34-35 ft coach, your choices are limited.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
I would love to see, next to each name on the list of Palazzo owners, the number of slide repairs that have been done.

or next to the name how many actually still own Palazzos.
Our coach has had 4 slide repairs.
IMO if the slide box is not square from the factory then that coach will have slide malfunctions. Maybe the malfunctions aren't due to the Schwintec System, maybe the slide system is trying to overcompensate for inproperly built slide box!
I think today's RV's are selling faster than they can build them properly AND profit over quality is the main problem! Because of this, we as consumers are paying the ultimate price!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are talking about the one currently on their web site with 17k miles and a squished ladder, that one was mine - traded in September.
A good unit, though with some problems, but the slide has never been a problem.

Once the front A/C is replaced and the microwave rehung, you should have a good reliable unit.

-------------------------------------------------------
We purchased in April 2012.
Made trips to TX and/or AZ each year, plus monthly trips around FL and to CW Rallies in Daytona & Atlanta.
Handled well, fuel milage an honest 9.8 mpg for the full 17k miles.

Biggest problem we ever had was the awful road surface on I10/12 through Louisiana. The jarring tore the microwave loose from the mounts.

We've switched to a 2013 33.2, because the DW really preferred that layout. (It wasn't available when we originally bought.)

Coming from a used 32' gas unit that got 6-6.5 mpg, we were thrilled to be able to hear one another while driving, and really appreciated the better pickup on the hills in TX.
spensergig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #36

Plenty of slide issues. 3 times repaired. Was going out again when we traded it. Was a 33.2. No more Schwintec hardware in my drive. But as stated earlier lots of new coaches use them
Most on smaller slides.

Lots fewer slide issues on the 33.1.

Lots of us traded them off? Some are probably following other threads. Other makes.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #37

Thought this was the NOT had trouble topic
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
Put 15,000 miles on our 2013 33.2 and had no failures of the slides. We did have the big slide upgraded to the 2014 specs with the 500:1 motors and steel gear shafts when we were at the factory getting the engine box sealed so the bedroom wouldn't get filled with dirt and soot. Our decision to trade wasn't based on the slides but with the overall quality of the build and our need to have more room.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:13 AM   #39

Has anybody NOT had trouble with slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post

Might read the op's original question? I read it that they are looking for guidance. He asks more than one question. By reading all post it looks like he getting good advice. Both sides.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
We have a 2013 33.2. We had a couple of rivets loose on the big slide that the dealer addressed the first week. We went to Elkhart to have everything that we needed addressed after 6 months (the main thing being paint touch up at the roof-side wall seam). While at Elkhart we asked to have the slide mechanism checked and adjusted (per all the complaints we had seen) and Thor went ahead and did the two track upgrade. We have the noise sometimes that many complain about in the top front of the left side slide.....having the dealer adjust the rollers, CRC lube and warm weather mitigate or eliminate the noise. We are careful to level, fully extend/retract the slide, hold the switch five seconds after stall to insure synchronization. We've not had any failures or other issues with the slide. Oh, forgot that I also dry lube the slide rails and the roller plates.
OldAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Own 2013 33.1 with 10K+ miles and 0 slide issues. We have been careful to follow the suggested procedures. Also we picked up the RV from Elkhart so it was never used without being leveled.
jwshawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #42

2013 Palazzo 33.3 have had ZERO problems with my slides. But than again I am one whom tries to follow the instructions given aka- little red warning stickers. Not insinuating others are not, maybe just lucky.
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide