RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #43

Zero issues

2015 33.3 with zero slide issues.
David T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo bamboo View Post
Thanks for all the reply's
I too would like to see all ones that needed slide repairs.
It looks like its a 50/50 chance.
....What am I getting in to?? AHHHHH, AHHHHH.
I have owned my 2013 33.1 for 2 1/2 years and 22500 miles. We have made many trips and been full timing since October. My slides have never failed to extend or retract. I always dump air and level before I operate the slides. If you are considering a 33.1 your chances of a slide problem is way better than 50/50.

I owned a Thor Serano before my Palazzo and we are looking to go bigger, Tuscany 40 GQ next year because we want more room and a W/D because we are full timing. We have been very pleased with our Palazzo and the excellent support Thor provides!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Have a neighbor with a brand new Winnabago Ellipse. Second use the curb slide would not retract. The dealer sent out a tech to fix or at least get it in. Took a look at the track and it already shoe signs of damage? I just don't get why this system is used when it's obvious there are many issues by consumers. What about the issues that are never posted on IRV2?
this is why i made a big post on RV sway

giving today's low cost manufacturing these type of damages is being seen more and more over Rvs body twisting

in the post i talk alot over sway bar updates but this can still happen with out the updates

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/why-...ml#post2344863
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I have owned my 2013 33.1 for 2 1/2 years and 22500 miles. We have made many trips and been full timing since October. My slides have never failed to extend or retract. I always dump air and level before I operate the slides. If you are considering a 33.1 your chances of a slide problem is way better than 50/50.

I owned a Thor Serano before my Palazzo and we are looking to go bigger, Tuscany 40 GQ next year because we want more room and a W/D because we are full timing. We have been very pleased with our Palazzo and the excellent support Thor provides!
We owned a Palazzo 33.2, operating the large slide dozens of times without incident. As Jack stated, dumping air and leveling up prior to extending the slides is critical in order that the slides operate smoothly and without added stress. We have traded up to a Tuscany 40GQ - has one hydraulic slide, and 3 of the Swintek slides; I could have as much concern about the hydraulic slide as I do the other three, but don't worry much about it cause I'll continue to level up before I extend. Loved our Palazzo, but decided we wanted to move on up!!!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #47

Thor Owners Club
When we purchased our 2014 Palazzo 33.1 and the sales person was demonstrating the unit, he parked it and extended the slides without putting the jacks down. When I called him on it, his reply was "you read too much". Needless to say, I always put the jacks down and level before extending the slides. Seventeen months and 12,000 miles with no problems. That is, except for the time I tried to retract and they wouldn't come in. Turned the engine off and slides retracted. 😇

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Same here. No issues except for those I caused by pilot error.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #49

After five windy days on the beach at Padre Island, the slide was making noises like a coffee grinder when retracting or extending. I decided to lube the tracks with white lithium grease to quiet it down from all of the sand. The result was a quieter and smoother running slide than when it was new. During our 32,000 mile, 300 night trip to Alaska this year, I greased the tracks every month or so and have never had a problem.
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #50

I have about 7000miles and all has been good. No slide issues. I have been fixing general mods to enhance personal use as many of you have already done. Dump air, level then extend slides. 2013 33.3. Although I do not have any real mileage but remember many short trips require a lot of in/out slide activity.
Ridinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #51

Freightliner Owners Club
It would seem that greasing the rack would make operation smoother and quieter unless something stuck on the grease that could not be easily mashed by the pinion gear, in which case damage might result.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #52

I silicone lube the rollers and plates, CRC the motor bearing areas as recommended, keep button pressed until slide stops completely, baby powder my slide gaskets. I have not lubed the actual tracks, just keep them clean.
Ridinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicker2time View Post
I just don't get it. I have been told by Thor Motor Coach Techs on several occasions. Once when the slide out system was replaced on my first Palazzo and once when the slide out system was replaced on my second palazzo, to never under any circumstances lube the Schwintek rails.
I don't get it either. Maybe I shouldn't have lubed it..never got any advice either way...but my slide must have moved in and out over 100 times since I did and I can't imagine why leaving them dry would be recommended.
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #54

Has anybody NOT had trouble with slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredKate View Post
I don't get it either. Maybe I shouldn't have lubed it..never got any advice either way...but my slide must have moved in and out over 100 times since I did and I can't imagine why leaving them dry would be recommended.

Well--what a different concept!! I traded mine off but always thought grease might be an answer.

Was told by Thor at the factory on one of my fixes NOT to use grease.

Here on the farm a grease gun is our best and cheapest friend!!! Plenty of grease save on repairs!! We spent time near Barstow Ca. each winter. Lots of sand there. That could be an issue with the grease. But all the ground off gear pieces on mine were an issue too. It all a trade off I guess

My comment is if grease is working for you I'd stay with it. For sure no grease not working that great. At least it didn't for me!!

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredKate View Post
Lubrication on the gear drive of the rails could cause contaminants to stick and interfere with operation of the gears. Those rails are small and the contact area between gear drive and rail is very small, any inteference is going to cause a problem. Another potential issue could be that lubrication of the rail drive might cause slippage with the motor gear drive, the last thing you want to see happen.

On the other hand I don't see any harm in lubrication on the part of the rail that rides the little roller and the roller itself.

Also agree with clean and lube of large plates and rollers under the slide.

i don't know if it makes any difference but baby powder or slide seal spray might help. On the other hand maybe the best benefit of using them is the close examination of the seals to ensure they are not getting loose and interfering with slide operation. The large seal under the slide is especially at risk to coming loose and causing a problem so should be inspected regularly.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #56

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
... Another potential issue could be that lubrication of the rail drive might cause slippage with the motor gear drive, the last thing you want to see happen...
There has to be interference between the pinion gear and the rack for the system to be operational. Friction is not required for the gearing to work. Friction in the gearing has to be overcome with power that otherwise would be available to operate the slides. I believe lubrication on the rack is beneficial as far as operation is concerned. But as has been stated, a wet lube will attract contaminants that might very well damage the gearing. I believe a dry lube would be beneficial but one must realize that nothing should be used that might attract contaminants.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide