RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #99

Slides are like skylights. They either leak when you put them in or they leak after you have installed them. The longer you have your unit and the rougher the roads the more likely you will experience problems. Start a post on the percent of people returning from Alaska that have problems and you will be shocked. I could make a good living in the Yukon just repairing slides. Anything mechanical will fail, we just hope that we trade before it happens. I personally think that the low mileage most people put on their rigs is partially due to the worry that the more miles you put on the more risk of system failure. Get a simple reliable rig and travel, we need to get back to basics.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #100

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
CW told me about the hours before they did the work! I'm was surprised that my EW would not cover the labor. I told them I not pay to have it done then they could pay for more motors and labor but the did not care and Thor would not even talk about helping with the problem!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you don't mind I would like to know who you have paid for the EW. It will help many of us know who to avoid. Thank you.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Has anybody NOT had trouble with slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Slides are like skylights. They either leak when you put them in or they leak after you have installed them. The longer you have your unit and the rougher the roads the more likely you will experience problems. Start a post on the percent of people returning from Alaska that have problems and you will be shocked. I could make a good living in the Yukon just repairing slides. Anything mechanical will fail, we just hope that we trade before it happens. I personally think that the low mileage most people put on their rigs is partially due to the worry that the more miles you put on the more risk of system failure. Get a simple reliable rig and travel, we need to get back to basics.

I disagree. Many, many owners of Motorhomes with well constructed slides have never had problems, and never will. I wouldn't hesitate to put as many miles on my motorhome as Time permits. I am not afraid of "system failure", and it certainly would not keep me from using my rig. Just wish I had more time to use it!

Be careful making all-encompassing blanket statements, you're likely to be wrong.

PS., my skylights have never leaked either . . .

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #103

Yes, give me extra motors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicker2time View Post
I'd also recommend you get a couple extra motors and learn how to remove the old ones and install the new ones and how to sync them back. It might also be advantageous to carry a spare wire harness too. The worm gear is known to eat up the wire harness. Good luck.
You are right on. Maybe Lippert/Schwintek and Manufactures should include two extra motors in our 'Welcome to your new MotorCoach' package, just in case!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
You are right on. Maybe Lippert/Schwintek and Manufactures should include two extra motors in our 'Welcome to your new MotorCoach' package, just in case!

Or maybe a three year warrantee. I bet if they did that they would be using better parts !!!

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #105

CW says slide can't be pushed out (?), but Yes it can...

CW looked at my bedroom slide that was stuck IN because the front motor was not responding.(2014 33.3) They said that they would not be able to push it out manually and would have to drill through the outside of the slide fascia to release the motor set screw(!). What??
I left CW and found that they were wrong. The best bet is to pull the motor plug from the main slide circuit board, located below the slide in the storage compartment on our unit. Then you can manually 'push' the slide out, at least the side that is not responding.
This worked for us and I was able to access the motor and replace it then from the inside. No drilling. : )
Old 01-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #106

prices

Quote:
I'd also recommend you get a couple extra motors and learn how to remove the old ones and install the new ones and how to sync them back. It might also be advantageous to carry a spare wire harness too. The worm gear is known to eat up the wire harness. Good luck.

Have you all seen the spare parts prices for slide parts, Chinese motors at made of gold prices. Has anyone found anywhere to buy these parts at a reasonable price? Anyone thinking of contacting Power Gear about a retrofit kit? (I am)
Oh by the way, does Thor answer its online customer care form? I submitted a request (about my slide) 2 weeks ago... no reply yet??
bernie
bernie2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #107

Just my 2 cents on these statements regarding failures. EVERY yes you can bank on EVERY mechanical part will fail at some point. Yes there are better engineered designed parts and systems, but just because you pay more does not protect you from failures. I enjoy this blog for the onsite from my fellow RVers to assist in maintenance issues, repair issues and trip they take. You can't control the future, get out and enjoy the VERY short time we have.
2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #108

Quote:
Excellent point. I happen to have an extra awning motor that I carry with me just in case, and will probably at some point purchase extra slide motors for the same reason. Would rather have the parts on hand to be self reliant. I do wish they were less expensive though.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg182 View Post
Ok, got my Palazzo 36.1 2014 back today from CW. Took it in on January 13 for my big slide motors went out. I had an extended warranty and it was out of warranty with Thor. My EW paid for the motors and a new radio that had also gone out for a total of $1,800 but CW had to take out the side and adjust as it was not square. My EW and Thor would not pay for the labor to correct this problem. I had to pay $1,400 for 11 hours of labor. We will see if what they did last?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
You may want to call Thor to confirm what CW told you. When we were in Tampa with the TDC we met a couple that had been charged $600.00 by CW for new slide motors. CW told them "This repair isn't covered by Thor". The truth was CW never called Thor to authorize the repair. We made sure we introduced the couple to Adam Grudger from Thor while we were at the Tampa show.
Maybe the repair isn't covered, but don't you think you would feel better hearing it from the horses mouth? Just saying...........
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #110

I just replaced my 33.3 bedroom slide front motor with a replacement unit sent to me from Thor parts/service dpt. Works great now. (the other motor had it's lead black wire separate from the soldered connection on top of the motor)
I did this work myself, and glad I learned how. CW had diagnosed the problem originally, but said that they would have to 'drill a hold through the fascia from the outside' to get to the motor set screw, since the slide motor failed while the slide was 'in'. I didn't think that CW really figured this repair out correctly, so I called Thor support, who told me that the slide 'could' be pushed out manually, though it might be difficult. I tried and was successful and was able to replace the motor myself. What a relief.
Now I need to get Thor to send me several more motors, just in case!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I just replaced my 33.3 bedroom slide front motor with a replacement unit sent to me from Thor parts/service dpt. Works great now. (the other motor had it's lead black wire separate from the soldered connection on top of the motor) I did this work myself, and glad I learned how. CW had diagnosed the problem originally, but said that they would have to 'drill a hold through the fascia from the outside' to get to the motor set screw, since the slide motor failed while the slide was 'in'. I didn't think that CW really figured this repair out correctly, so I called Thor support, who told me that the slide 'could' be pushed out manually, though it might be difficult. I tried and was successful and was able to replace the motor myself. What a relief. Now I need to get Thor to send me several more motors, just in case!
Did you happen to take any photos of your repair, or link on how to access,remove,replace motor?
I have not had any issues with my slides(knock on wood) but everything fails in time.
2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #112

I will as soon as the iRV2.com website allows, no pics can be uploaded right now, or even over the last several days as I have tried, sorry....

Tags
slide