Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #113

replaced slide MOTOR, photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
Did you happen to take any photos of your repair, or link on how to access,remove,replace motor?
I have not had any issues with my slides(knock on wood) but everything fails in time.
2013 Palazzo 33.3
here's a photo of the MOTOR at top left corner of 33.3 bedroom slide,
the motor sits at the top left and connects at the top with the wiring harness found in the rubber slide seal, it
sits in the slide wall on top of a metal cylinder that actually turns the rod and slide gears -
you also need to remove a motor set screw from the same area on the outside of the slide-
the motor can then be pried up out of the slide wall, you might need to use a screwdriver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5517.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	476.3 KB
ID:	85541  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #114

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the replys
I ended-up buying a new 2015
Tiffin with 3 slides two are Schwintek
and one hydro
Wish me luck!
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo bamboo View Post
and one hydro
Wish me luck!

Good choice. Best of luck with your new coach.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:21 AM   #116

Imho, slides are more moving parts that need more maintenance. Some manufacturers may be better than others. Some installers are better than others, in my opinion good installers are a dieing breed. With little ethic and suffering skillsets. Open racks need cleaning and lubrication. One dusty road will leave fine abrasives on those gears. In my personal experience the screw jacks are far worse, as rain weeps the abrasives into the screw, freezing it in fine sand. YES, IMPACTING IT IN FINE SAND. This was done in one trip to Alaska in the mid nineties in a jayco 35 5er. Lubricate, lubrication, lubricants !!!!
I use anti seize, on ooen screw racks, either aluminum or copper infused liberal amounts. Use rubber gloves and an old shirt you don't mind making into a rag, trust me.
Imho 13000 miles is hardly enough time to be judging your slides, time will tell. And if you drive I95 for one season you will understand road conditions and their effect on rv's.
Oftentimes we must remove our heads from the sand to wrap something around our heads....
Been there done that....just cuz it happened to me don't mean it'll happen to you, take it with sevaral grains of salt ! Lol
I've got an alfa 04 used from omg camper world of chattanooga. Terrible customer service there. MORE LIKE CUSTOMERS CIRCUS OR CUSS TO YOUR SERVICE. but that a whole different issue.
Anyway lubed the slides, always helps. And spray those popcorn fart dry gaskets all around liberally with a marine grade silicon spray. Look for loose or poorly installed gaskets that jam up the slides. Also incorrect lenghth screws holding on that purty trim. Too long sharp screws punture your expensive gaskets. And idiot service depts do it all the time.
That's my 2cents. Plz don't bother lecturing me on my attitude toward anything. I've been honing that attitude for over 63 years. An attitude is a terrible thing to waste, lol !
Btw, I've been a csr for decades and know the true meaning of one. And yes I have a big ax to grind with Camper Weirld !!! Of Chattanooga in particular. They have an excellent swamp they call a campground.
The service and sales depts have little communication and they are aware of it.
maddczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo bamboo View Post
and one hydro
Wish me luck!
Congrats! Enjoy your new coach!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #118

Two days ago a new 2014 Newmar Ventana with tag pulled in the park across from me. It is a beautiful coach with 4 slides. Talking with the owner he has some trouble with one of the bedroom slides and will be headed to Newmar next week to get it fixed. Slide problems are not exclusive to the Palazzo.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Two days ago a new 2014 Newmar Ventana with tag pulled in the park across from me. It is a beautiful coach with 4 slides. Talking with the owner he has some trouble with one of the bedroom slides and will be headed to Newmar next week to get it fixed. Slide problems are not exclusive to the Palazzo.

Probably true---be interesting that when Newmar fixes it if he has to go back every three month and fix it again. My guess is his will get fixed!! Unlike several of our Palazzos that had to be fixed several times. And still were never right!!!

Russell
Old 02-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Probably true---be interesting that when Newmar fixes it if he has to go back every three month and fix it again. My guess is his will get fixed!! Unlike several of our Palazzos that had to be fixed several times. And still were never right!!!

Russell
You traded your Palazzo long ago but yet you are still here to cast dispersions on Thor...

How is your Forest River Berkshire doing?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #121

Has anybody NOT had trouble with slide

I just stating facts Jack!! You are right again --I did trade a few months ago (6) but the memory of that Palazzo will be long lasting.

As to the Berkshire. Now that one fine piece of machinery!!! Thanks for asking.

Russell
Old 02-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #122

We took delivery of our new Tiffin Allegro Bus in December. Surprise! Everything works.

There are no workmanship or fit and finish issues. You can look under drawers and maintenance spaces and find no chips or shavings.
I just returned from a two week trip trip to Florida and I have no list of repairs or things that need fixed.
This experience is so different from the Palazzo where there were always things needing fixed or tweaked.
The Bus has 2 Schwintek slides and 2 hydraulic slides. No problems with the Schwintek, no popping or grinding. I believe the mechanisms are properly applied and work.
The 36.1 has an overloaded slide and is too large and heavy for the racks, pinions and motors. I had no confidence that the slide would continue to work over time. Look at the 35.1 and 36.2. You see smaller slides with less mass. I believe Thor mis-applied the Schwintek drives and the Customers are paying the price. If the slide fails repeatedly within the first year, how well do you think it will work in 3-5 years?

Thanks to the Palazzo, I can now recognize what a quality unit looks like. The Palazzo is a cheap GP using the cheapest components that money can buy. I would not recommend a Thor product to anyone. I resent that they build such a piece of crap and offer it with a straight face.

On the up side, I would not have bought the Bus without having had the Thor experience.
I hope for the Tuscany buyers that Thor doesn't short them on quality like Thor does on the Palazzo.
Indianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #123

Good for you both on your new coaches, Hope you didn't just jinx your new coach. Guess if you don't post on the new manf. forum, all is good. I appreciate all the helpful posts that are related to my brand, if I feel the need to upgrade I will hope the other brands post problems as openly as the Thor forum has.
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianjim View Post
We took delivery of our new Tiffin Allegro Bus in December. Surprise! Everything works.

There are no workmanship or fit and finish issues. You can look under drawers and maintenance spaces and find no chips or shavings.
I just returned from a two week trip trip to Florida and I have no list of repairs or things that need fixed.
This experience is so different from the Palazzo where there were always things needing fixed or tweaked.
The Bus has 2 Schwintek slides and 2 hydraulic slides. No problems with the Schwintek, no popping or grinding. I believe the mechanisms are properly applied and work.
The 36.1 has an overloaded slide and is too large and heavy for the racks, pinions and motors. I had no confidence that the slide would continue to work over time. Look at the 35.1 and 36.2. You see smaller slides with less mass. I believe Thor mis-applied the Schwintek drives and the Customers are paying the price. If the slide fails repeatedly within the first year, how well do you think it will work in 3-5 years?

Thanks to the Palazzo, I can now recognize what a quality unit looks like. The Palazzo is a cheap GP using the cheapest components that money can buy. I would not recommend a Thor product to anyone. I resent that they build such a piece of crap and offer it with a straight face.

On the up side, I would not have bought the Bus without having had the Thor experience.
I hope for the Tuscany buyers that Thor doesn't short them on quality like Thor does on the Palazzo.
Thank you Jim. Yes, we know exactly what you mean. Ours is in the shop AGAIN for slide repairs. If what everyone says is true that the entire RV industry is plagued with problems then it makes sense for us to consider the location of the manufacturer rather than what the coach looks like. And isn't that sad????
Thank you for the review of your Allegro Bus. Tiffin is manufactured in Red Bay Alabama which is a 7 hour drive from us vs most other RV manufacturers which are built in Indiana which is a 2 day drive from us. So it doesn't matter what we think of Thor, we just know our next RV won't be a Thor because they are "built" too far away from us.
In a perfect world it would be nice to buy an RV that was built so well that we would NEVER have to see the manufacturer ever again. But as Jack Arnold pointed out, every RV has problems. Let's hope he is wrong!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #125

Does anyone know if the 2014 Palazzo 33.2 built in March 2014 has the new triple track slide system??
Oldtrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #126

Has anybody NOT had trouble with slide

I believe they started the triple track sometime in the 2015 models. My guess is a 2014 could have the triple track. There were a few that Thor reworked because of the ongoing problems.

Russell

Tags
slide