Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #57

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicker2time View Post
First time I seen another 35.1 owner. Welcome.
Thanks for the welcome. It seems the 35.1 is about the least popular model of Palazzo. What attracted us is the king bed, washer/dryer, dinette with chairs, and TV opposite the couch. So far we have not had any major issues other than what seems to be expected with a new coach.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We've already had our entire Schwintek system replaced on the large slide in our 35.1.
Was the replaced slide system a two track or three track system? And, if it was a two track system did they install a three track for the repair?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
2013 Palazzo 33.3 have had ZERO problems with my slides. But than again I am one whom tries to follow the instructions given aka- little red warning stickers. Not insinuating others are not, maybe just lucky.

Ditto here. We own the same motorhome and have had the same experience.
HappyCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #60

So.... are you surprised at the number of "no problem" responses?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #61

Has anybody NOT had trouble with slide

Quote:
Did this thread sway jojo Bamboo's decision?

I don't know that, but I can tell you I almost let the negative posts sway mine. I decided to take a chance and have never regretted it. We love our Palazzo and it fits our budget.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #62

Quote:
Okay, so I decided to run some Statistics on this thread. Here is what I came up with:

31 Total Palazzo's. (I added 2 for myself as I know of two other owners not represented here)
This was only done on the Palazzo's alone. I didn't take into account a few other posts with non-Palazzo's or just comments.
9 failures - a 29% failure rate taken off comments thus far.
33.2 - 9 total 3 problems
35.1 - 2 total 1 problem
33.1 - 9 total 1 problem
33.3 - 4 total zero problems It is interesting to note that the fridge and washer/dryer is not on the large slide out in this model.
36.1 -3 total 2 problems (I know of personally)
Unknown Palazzo models 4 total 2 problems
6 Known Upgrades that could have prevented complete slide failure.

You have too much time on your hands. Lol. But my take is the same as it's been for the last two year-- too much mass for too little hardware to move it. Take the frig & w/d out and it works much better as in the 33.3.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:14 AM   #63

Quote:
Russell, nah I dont have too much time on my hands. I have too much money in this Palazzo. I just really want to get to the bottom of why it is some of us have had zero problems and others have had nothing but problems.

Well a gentleman from another business that I had look at mine to fix it right before I traded it told me what he thought. I almost think he could be right. I repeat this without any knowledge on my part but it makes sense.

He said that the slide has to be built on a square. (Not sure what that is maybe a square jig?). His logic was that they must not build them on a square or at least don't pay attention to if the slide box is square.

Thus some come out just fine while other ones like mine were not square.

This could be why another company with a identical slide has very few issues.

Just my two cents. Probably not worth that much.

Russell
Old 12-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #64

Freightliner Owners Club
An excellent point. I believe it is important to point out that these slide issues should not be stigmatized as occurring if proper protocol is not followed. The operator is not to be blamed for these slide failures.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #65

Thank you to for taking the time to do all the research.

My take on the entire situation is this:
1. We went to the Thor factory, their workmanship is very poor. NO I don't think they built the slide box square! Lippert/Schwintek is also to blame for shoddy workmanship!
2. We removed our W/D to make the slide lighter to work better, so WE don't have the ability to use a W/D due to Thor's faulty workmanship! Again, we as owners make the sacrifice to accomodate poor workmanship!
3. WHY should we as owners have to use "proper protocol" what about the manufacturer using "Proper building protocol"?????

Like I have said many times before: If you spent $150,000.00 on a new Ferrari and on the drive home the door fell off, I can't see the buyer saying "Oh well that is all part of owning a Ferrari".
150 Thousand dollars is a lot of money NO MATTER WHAT YOU BOUGHT!!!!

I am also VERY TIRED of other Palazzo Owners making US feel bad for posting or discussing our slide problems!! We HAVE slide problems!!! Sorry if that bothers people! It isn't great for us either!

Yes, I have been told that for X number of dollars WE can have the slide rebuilt. WHY? WE already paid our money for the Palazzo, WHY should WE have to shell out more money to rebuild THOR's/Lippert/Swintek's mistake??

Yes, we have been told that Thor has upgraded some systems to the 3 rail system. Well no one offered that fix to us when our coach was at the factory for slide repairs. So do we hope for Thor to "step up" when our slide fails again? Or is the 3 rail system just being used as an "owner pacifier"???

We held up our end of the bargin: we paid our money for this coach. Maybe Thor should hold up their end of the bargin by putting out decent MHs! No, they used OUR misfortune as an ad campaign to show how "great the 3 trax system" is! So now buyers can look at the ad and think "Wow, Thor has really fixed their problems, we should buy one"! So they make MORE money and we have to continue to hold our breath every time we put our slide in (because don't forget, WE are out of warranty now so all repairs now are on us). And it isn't JUST the slides, Rick has spent HOURS fixing things on this MH! The shower leaked, the kitchen sink leaked, the washer leaked because it wasn't installed properly. Rick had to replace the HDMI cable which had been cut during one of the slide repairs, the entry door had to be fixed. We still have gouges out of our paint from a previous slide repair. The furnice has never worked properly, the a/c duct insulation wasn't done properly, one of the storage compartments leaked, the tail lights have been replaced because they fill up with water, the sub woofer was never hooked up.
There have been more things wrong, but the more I list the more my blood pressure goes up so I will not list any more.
So I am sorry if this post makes a potential buyer question their decision, but if you don't want to hear the whole truth, don't ask the question.
Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #66

I will add this from my own experience. My full wall slide has always operated flawlessly. After learning about the adjustable floor rollers, I experimented and slightly raised the rear roller - thinking less weight on the Schwintek system was better. After this change, my slide would not operate as well. The rear motor made a different noise, almost as if it was straining, and then the front and rear of the slide retracted at different rates. I quickly returned the rear floor roller back to it's original height, and the slide returned to it's normal operation.

I don't know why such a major change in operation by such a minor adjustment, but I wonder if this explains why some slides have problems and some don't. Perhaps there is a "sweet spot" for the adjustment, and for those who have problems it's just a matter of finding that right adjustment. Regards...
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #67

Has anyone have a thought that some complain openly about their problems and have an issue with Thor. Others have problems and do not openly complain and Thor takes care of all their problems completely.

As John maxwell says "just a thought". We have never had a problem getting anything taken care of.
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #68

Although I reported no failure yet on my slides, that does not mean I endorse the shoddy workmanship of which I do have. Electronics (tv) not wired correctly and I just gave 2 Jensen TVs to Best Buy for disposal/recycle. Both of the 32" TVs failed with no operating time. Replaced with 110v. I don't believe that procedures will spare a shoddy built slide (lubrication/leveling).
Ridinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #69

I traded my 2013 Palazzo 33.1 in for a 2015 Newmar........
I was once a supporter of THOR and felt they "bent over backwards" to fix things. The things they bent over backwards for were simple items.....never the issues with the slide.

As far as the number of failures being low.....a 29% failure rate is by no means low......and the title of the thread doesn't invite people with slide problems to respond....it invites people without problems to respond.

In my 9000 mile trip this past summer I met 2 owners of brand new Tuscany coaches.....and 5 owners of Palazzo coaches. Of the 7 only one, Don Voyage (a Palazzo owner), seemed happy. All of the others were upset......1 Tuscany owner with overall poor quality in the coach ........ 1 Tuscany owner with a large slide that would not deploy.......and 4 Palazzo owners with slides that were not working or on the second or third slide rebuild. Of the 7 people I am speaking of only 2 were even aware of this forum.

At the end of our trip, and the end of my warranty I went to THOR service in Elkhart to checkout several issues, the major one being the slide. Suffice it to say the response from THOR was disappointing. In fact when I called Steve Reed on my way back home from Elkhart to tell him the loud creaking noise had reappeared in the slide.......he put me on with Tom Overton who told me I was out of warranty.....( I was out of warranty by 2 weeks)..... Steve Reed had previously told me "We know we have a problem with the slides and will stand behind them even if they are out of warranty".......so much of for that BS......

I went to a dealer here in Florida who fixed my noise and stated......"we don't even call THOR on these slide issues with the Schwintech because they have no idea how to fix it"....

And if you do a detailed read of all the posts on this forum on the slide issue over the past 1.5 years.....you will see the "trial-and-error" approach THOR has taken to attempting to repair the slide issue.....starting with : 1. Higher torque motors...then: 2. Replacing the aluminum connecting shaft with one made of steel......3. Changing the slide track from aluminum to steel...and now 4. the "triple Track"....... all of these suggestions, as I recall, from "Palazzoblues",( a fella who seems to no longer post on this forum)

If THOR wanted to (or knew how to fix the slide AND wanted to fix it) that the slide issue would be resolved and be a non-issue........but I don't see anything THOR has done which demonstrates a culture of "wanting to get it right" and "customer satisfaction"........

There is no chance that I would ever....( and to quote Taylor Swift) ever, ever, ever, ever buy a product from THOR.......
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch-y View Post
I traded my 2013 Palazzo 33.1 in for a 2015 Newmar........

I was once a supporter of THOR and felt they "bent over backwards" to fix things. The things they bent over backwards for were simple items.....never the issues with the slide.

As far as the number of failures being low.....a 29% failure rate is by no means low......and the title of the thread doesn't invite people with slide problems to respond....it invites people without problems to respond.

In my 9000 mile trip this past summer I met 2 owners of brand new Tuscany coaches.....and 5 owners of Palazzo coaches. Of the 7 only one, Don Voyage (a Palazzo owner), seemed happy. All of the others were upset......1 Tuscany owner with overall poor quality in the coach ........ 1 Tuscany owner with a large slide that would not deploy.......and 4 Palazzo owners with slides that were not working or on the second or third slide rebuild. Of the 7 people I am speaking of only 2 were even aware of this forum.

At the end of our trip, and the end of my warranty I went to THOR service in Elkhart to checkout several issues, the major one being the slide. Suffice it to say the response from THOR was disappointing. In fact when I called Steve Reed on my way back home from Elkhart to tell him the loud creaking noise had reappeared in the slide.......he put me on with Tom Overton who told me I was out of warranty.....( I was out of warranty by 2 weeks)..... Steve Reed had previously told me "We know we have a problem with the slides and will stand behind them even if they are out of warranty".......so much of for that BS......

I went to a dealer here in Florida who fixed my noise and stated......"we don't even call THOR on these slide issues with the Schwintech because they have no idea how to fix it"....

And if you do a detailed read of all the posts on this forum on the slide issue over the past 1.5 years.....you will see the "trial-and-error" approach THOR has taken to attempting to repair the slide issue.....starting with : 1. Higher torque motors...then: 2. Replacing the aluminum connecting shaft with one made of steel......3. Changing the slide track from aluminum to steel...and now 4. the "triple Track"....... all of these suggestions, as I recall, from "Palazzoblues",( a fella who seems to no longer post on this forum)

If THOR wanted to (or knew how to fix the slide AND wanted to fix it) that the slide issue would be resolved and be a non-issue........but I don't see anything THOR has done which demonstrates a culture of "wanting to get it right" and "customer satisfaction"........

There is no chance that I would ever....( and to quote Taylor Swift) ever, ever, ever, ever buy a product from THOR.......

Patch-y. There are many of us out here that agree with you 100%. Well said!!

Russell

Tags
slide