Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I, for one, do not think Thor's quality control "sucks", as you put it. I believe that you can find owners of any other brand who have had similar experiences as you have encountered. And, of course, you will find owners who have had very few issues with Thor products , as well as other manufacturers. We have a 2011 Challenger and have had only one issue related to the construction, ie; factory quality control.
Were on our 2nd Thor / Dutchman / Aerolite tt. On both had the usually nickel and dime items. The 2013 we have now for two full seasons (bought March of 2012). Had to have shower pan replaced because of dis-coloring, two drawer slides replaced because the silverware drawer would not close and latch all the way, relocated the water pump to an accessible location in order to winterize it, new showerhead. None of these interrupted any trips...Just took care of them in one trip to the dealer after the first season in Dec of 2012.

There were a few screws to tighten here and there, but after about 100 nights camped over two seasons....I would buy a 3rd Thor product if we liked the floorplan.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #16

Maybe a trip Indiana would be nice this time of year. But I can't help to wonder... Why so many problems AFTER camping world had it in the shop. I've bought lots of new cars and trucks off the showroom floor. Never the issues like an rv. Why do we all say it's okay to have to fix a couple dozen things on our own? Minor or major.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #17

I am not advocating that a lack of quality is acceptable by any means. But, what I am noting is this appears to be an industry practice at varying levels. I think the most important item they attempt to meet is the delivery date and quality be damned. There are so many things that could go wrong that when they do, in the greater scope of things, they are relatively minor when considered for overall potential impact. To us, as a consumer, they are questionable but from the manufacturer side, they seem like niggling details.

Now, that aside, the only comfort you have is that when something does go wrong, someone is there to support you and solve the problem. Getting a new RV and then not being able to use it for months on end is simply not a fair value proposition and Thor should be striving to address the problem to full and complete resolution. First and most important facet of customer service. make it right and do it the first time. Sounds like Thor may have dropped the ball.
HeavyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcsurf1 View Post
Maybe a trip Indiana would be nice this time of year. But I can't help to wonder... Why so many problems AFTER camping world had it in the shop. I've bought lots of new cars and trucks off the showroom floor. Never the issues like an rv. Why do we all say it's okay to have to fix a couple dozen things on our own? Minor or major.
Not a whole lot going on in a car compared to a house on wheels with 60 different part manufacturers. I think that most coach manufacturers are more of a parts reseller than giving you a seamless product. Generator broken? Call Cummins. Engine not working? Go to Freightliner. Fridge not working, ping Whirlpool. The list goes on.
HeavyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Problem with legal action (private) is that all repair efforts will stop once you take action. And it may take years to get to court with you making the payments all the time and not being able to use it.
Lemon Laws usually only are for safety defects on the chassis. Most do not cover the "house" portion. A few states don't even allow Lemon Law complaints on an RV at all.
The OP has not given us much to work with (Domicile, bought in state, etc) to give good answers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #20

Evergreen Owners Club
I was @ Lazyday's last week for some minor repair work , water pump, microwave that's still broke, 2 door's that needed to be tweaked and some other small stuff.
the guy next to me was in a $ 400 k to $ 500 k tag axle rig from another big named company " won't say the name , " don't need a pissing match " with all sort's of small problem's , so it's just a fact of rv's just like buying a new boat they all break a lot

so again doesn't matter what brand you buy THEY ALL have problem's .

good luck

mike
Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #21

What we need is for Toyota to buy a factory out.
Our cars used to be built to lower standards too. A little foreign competition might be good for this industry. As a newbie...it seems appalling that the whole industry acccepts such a low standard of quality overall.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
When I purchased my first NEW motor home I was told to just make a list of the issues you find and we will take care of them during the warranty period. I filled 3 or 4 pages of "issues" and they filled several pages of fixes. To this day this is "standard" practice. It has been like this since motor homes were first offered for sale. I agree that cars are made much better as far as having pages of issues. In fact the last 4 new cars I have purchased had "0" issues. Unfortunately when you put a motor and wheels on a house you are asking for problems. Like a constant earthquake. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
What we need is for Toyota to buy a factory out.
Our cars used to be built to lower standards too. A little foreign competition might be good for this industry. As a newbie...it seems appalling that the whole industry acccepts such a low standard of quality overall.
LOL!!! Have you seen the average Japanese house?
No thanks!

Sure, the Japanese build a good car, but if their trucks were that much better, every RV would be riding on a Hino/Fuso/Mitsubishi/etc chassis.

I feel bad for the OP and those that are having problems. Buying new can be frustrating.
But, I gotta agree with Mikebrls (above)...have seen issues in every type of RV and considering that Thor is cranking out SO MANY units right now, there is bound to be some issues.

What I learned about warrentee repairs can be summed up in 1 term: You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Those repair people are still...just people.

Safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
LOL!!! Have you seen the average Japanese house?
No thanks!

Sure, the Japanese build a good car, but if their trucks were that much better, every RV would be riding on a Hino/Fuso/Mitsubishi/etc chassis.

I feel bad for the OP and those that are having problems. Buying new can be frustrating.
But, I gotta agree with Mikebrls (above)...have seen issues in every type of RV and considering that Thor is cranking out SO MANY units right now, there is bound to be some issues.

What I learned about warrentee repairs can be summed up in 1 term: You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Those repair people are still...just people.

Safe travels to all
X2 on your "honey than vinegar" comment! Everyone I have met and worked with at Thor are good hard working people and went above and beyond when dealing with me and others that I know.

Now after saying all this I truly feel some of the delay has to do with the authorized warranty providers, Camping World, Lazy Days, etc. I have read a number of people make the statement that the shop is waiting for warranty approval. I feel that this is a BS statement made to deflect the heat off the shop...easy to blame someone, Thor, who is not there to defend themselves. If a shop told me this I would call Thor, tell them what the shop is saying and get an approval number. I know some have said that they are waiting for Thor to call them back and I will say that I have never had an issue contacting Thor or them returning my calls.

My heart goes out to all those who are having difficulties with their slides and other items and I hope they get them solved quickly. We love our Palazzo and I would consider buying another Thor product if I was in the market.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
X2 on your "honey than vinegar" comment! Everyone I have met and worked with at Thor are good hard working people and went above and beyond when dealing with me and others that I know. Now after saying all this I truly feel some of the delay has to do with the authorized warranty providers, Camping World, Lazy Days, etc. I have read a number of people make the statement that the shop is waiting for warranty approval. I feel that this is a BS statement made to deflect the heat off the shop...easy to blame someone, Thor, who is not there to defend themselves. If a shop told me this I would call Thor, tell them what the shop is saying and get an approval number. I know some have said that they are waiting for Thor to call them back and I will say that I have never had an issue contacting Thor or them returning my calls. My heart goes out to all those who are having difficulties with their slides and other items and I hope they get them solved quickly. We love our Palazzo and I would consider buying another Thor product if I was in the market.
Agree.......
I have had problems with phone calls but I just keep trying. Usually get through after a few tries.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
egarris....I am very sorry to hear of your problems, to start with. I do not believe that you should be having ALL of the constant mechanical issues you are describing and just chock it up to growing pains. A few yes but as the list grows and moves from slide to plumbing to electrical and so forth, I do believe you have unfortunatly purchased a lemon.
I suggest you Document any and all required contact with your dealer, Thor and anyone else even remotely involved. Research the lemon law in your state and pursue it that way. In no way should you have so many problems and just keep accepting them. You have rights as a consumer but you need documentation for everything all the way down to phone calls and wait time etc. etc.
Get in contact with the Senior customer relation manager at Thor and start making your case, demands....or contact an attny or both, but do not wait. You should be compensated for all time of use loss and more.
I sincerely wish you the best and please keep us posted on your progress. Remember documentation is the key to sucess.
Good Luck, R
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Unfortunately this is typical as it usually takes a couple of years to get lots of the issues resolved. That said I'm very HAPPY with Monaco RV Service in Coburg, Ore. I'm out of "coach" warranty after 3 years. Still have a couple of things to fix..........1 is an installation of a CareFree awning motor. CareFree sent me one I just have to have it installed on my dime or do it myself. It is unusual to have an uneventful trip. This has been my experience with 4 new RVs. Others may have other experiences with new units. My free advice would be to use your RV as much as possible before the warranty expires. When you purchased it you must have liked something about it. You just were not told that you are the final inspector. deSanford
Yes but!!!!! I have owned RVs ever since the 60s. I never had a RV manufacturer take care of me as well as Monaco. Monaco treats their customers very well compared to other manufacturers. In fact I went to Coburg in June and had a W/D installed and the price they charged beat CW sale price for the same model. So far I am really sold on Monaco. I have a few problems but all fixed in a timely manner.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with the last post.. I own and have owned 2 Monaco products and they have a great support staff. Even with the ownership change there has been a seemless transition and support. I hope Thor responds as well to the issues at hand.
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote