Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 184
Is this he new gear strip for the slides?

I have seen a few pictures of the gear strips with mangled teeth on this forum. I just noticed that my gear strips are different from the ones shown in those pictures, and I am wondering whether this new design constitute the change Thore made to the system in order to prevent slide failure. Has anybody got this new type of gear strip? More importantly, has anybody had a failure of the slides with this new design? So far all I can see is some minor scratching on the sides of the "garland" as shown on the picture. Thanks
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140417_124232.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	60909  
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Palazzoblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
I have seen a few pictures of the gear strips with mangled teeth on this forum. I just noticed that my gear strips are different from the ones shown in those pictures, and I am wondering whether this new design constitute the change Thore made to the system in order to prevent slide failure. Has anybody got this new type of gear strip? More importantly, has anybody had a failure of the slides with this new design? So far all I can see is some minor scratching on the sides of the "garland" as shown on the picture. Thanks
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Nothing has changed with the tracks as you show. The only upgrade thor has made is with the larger motors and they did put more rivets in to hold the tracks to the side wall. They also adjusted the rollers on the bottom side of the slide to carry the weigh better. What you see is normal wear cause the large slide is so heavy. Compare that to the small slide.
__________________
Palazzoblues
2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1 Black Canyon
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door Toad
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 184
Please compare my picture with the one shown by BoDu in "lubricating Scwintek slide out", page 2. The gear strips are different. Mine is an interrupted garland, his is not and you can see distinct teeth projecting into the curves. Those free floating teeth may have been the weak point.
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Palazzoblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
Please compare my picture with the one shown by BoDu in "lubricating Scwintek slide out", page 2. The gear strips are different. Mine is an interrupted garland, his is not and you can see distinct teeth projecting into the curves. Those free floating teeth may have been the weak point.
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Yup that's exactly what the rails looked like on the first palazzo I had when the slide out failed. Between that one and the 35.1, nothing has changed. I know because I've had 2 I entirely different palazzos.
__________________
Palazzoblues
2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1 Black Canyon
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door Toad
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Clover, SC
Posts: 261
Same slide gear track

I have checked my pictures, including those I did not post and believe we have the same gear track. Mine was just chewed up enough that it looked different. This was a track that had been replaced completely so I am sure it was newer that most of what is currently operating. We had only about ten cycles on the track, so I think there was a shim to hold the gear in place that was missing. We also heard a metallic rattle on the way to the dealer's shop for the Thor tech's replacement activity. Sounded like it was coming from the area of the interface between the gear and track. I am hoping we are getting closer to a carefree large slide. Time will tell. I think many of those that are successfully operating had a better initial build. We plan to contact Tony at Thor tomorrow to determine if there is any feedback on the work from Dennis the tech.
__________________
Bob & Rita
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2010 Chevy Colorado toad
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Palazzoblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 411
Is this he new gear strip for the slides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
I have checked my pictures, including those I did not post and believe we have the same gear track. Mine was just chewed up enough that it looked different. This was a track that had been replaced completely so I am sure it was newer that most of what is currently operating. We had only about ten cycles on the track, so I think there was a shim to hold the gear in place that was missing. We also heard a metallic rattle on the way to the dealer's shop for the Thor tech's replacement activity. Sounded like it was coming from the area of the interface between the gear and track. I am hoping we are getting closer to a carefree large slide. Time will tell. I think many of those that are successfully operating had a better initial build. We plan to contact Tony at Thor tomorrow to determine if there is any feedback on the work from Dennis the tech.


bodus photo has not as close up as yours. I can assure you, those tracks have not changed. The cause of the teeth eating up the track is because it is aluminum on a steel gear trying to push and pull too much weight. When the thing gets chewed up that bad is because something is misaligned and the rollers under the slide does not properly carry the weight. The only upgrade they can make to make it better is to upgrade the rails to steel too. They will tell you they will not do this because steel rusts. Well if they change to a completely steel system and use lube, the rust is minimized. That is the solution I would propose to solve our slide out problems for good. But I know Thor does not want to hear this. Stainless steel would not rust and be stronger too!
__________________
Palazzoblues
2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1 Black Canyon
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door Toad
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 184
WOW! That was some serious chewing up to make it look so different. I will call Thor on Monday to know if at least the improvements you mention are in my coach or not. Thank you for your clarification.
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
94-Newmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,043
Ahh Schwintek slides; the bane of RV techs across the USA. I cannot imagine how well these units are going to continue working with 10yrs of age on them once the clearances on the worm gear and tracks begin to increase. For now however, the largest problem I run across when these come in with issues is the wiring harness at the top of the motors themselves - very very small wiring with a very poor strain relief behind the slide seal - everytime the slide opens it smashes the entire wiring harness, by design.
__________________
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Ahh Schwintek slides; the bane of RV techs across the USA. I cannot imagine how well these units are going to continue working with 10yrs of age on them once the clearances on the worm gear and tracks begin to increase. For now however, the largest problem I run across when these come in with issues is the wiring harness at the top of the motors themselves - very very small wiring with a very poor strain relief behind the slide seal - everytime the slide opens it smashes the entire wiring harness, by design.
Hi 94-Newmar... Your description is very clear, but I wanted to make sure I completely understand.... the harness that can fail due to pressure from the slide is the section of wiring that is directly connected to the motor and connects, via a connector, to the home-run cable that runs back to the controller. Does this sound about right?

In your experience, have you seen issues with what I am calling above, the home run cable, which appears to be a heavier constructed cable. Thanks.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
94-Newmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,043
In the section between where the wires run into the motor and exit the slide pocket.
__________________
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slides on 33.1 Butte64 Palazzo Motorhomes 19 04-23-2014 03:16 PM
Power gear hyd jack system JBDISCOVERY RV Systems & Appliances 1 03-22-2014 08:15 PM
Levelling jacks: Power Gear vs HWH Deucenut Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 02-03-2014 07:01 PM
Issue with slides & jacks nrupracht Monaco Owner's Forum 10 01-07-2014 04:33 PM
3rd gear dutch99 Allison Transmission Forum 5 12-03-2013 12:37 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.