Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Leveler Issue

I have posted about a possible problem with my Lippert levelers before and did not get the right advice. My levelers tended to work erratically with one leveler extending all the way and cycling multiple times before settling down and finishing extending or retracting. Recently I decided to check the fluid reservoir and found it was very low. I added Dexron III and now the levelers have settled down and are working smoothly. My Palazzo is three years old now and this condition has persisted the whole time. I have had the factor and my dealer check the levelers and both said they were fine. The reservoir is on the front fire wall and easy the check.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
I have posted about a possible problem with my Lippert levelers before and did not get the right advice. My levelers tended to work erratically with one leveler extending all the way and cycling multiple times before settling down and finishing extending or retracting. Recently I decided to check the fluid reservoir and found it was very low. I added Dexron III and now the levelers have settled down and are working smoothly. My Palazzo is three years old now and this condition has persisted the whole time. I have had the factor and my dealer check the levelers and both said they were fine. The reservoir is on the front fire wall and easy the check.
Just wondering after looking at my reservoir, (Jacks down) my container is at about 1/2 full. I am guessing maybe after retracting this may fill most of the container back up, or possibly does this level with the jacks down stay the same or only used to replenish the system as needed. In other words, when you checked yours, did you have any at all in the container? Thanks for the heads up on this.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
Just wondering after looking at my reservoir, (Jacks down) my container is at about 1/2 full. I am guessing maybe after retracting this may fill most of the container back up, or possibly does this level with the jacks down stay the same or only used to replenish the system as needed. In other words, when you checked yours, did you have any at all in the container? Thanks for the heads up on this.
With your jacks fully retracted the fluid level should be within 1/2 inch of fill spout lip.This information can be located in your operation and service manual.
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1951 View Post
With your jacks fully retracted the fluid level should be within 1/2 inch of fill spout lip.This information can be located in your operation and service manual.
My Bad!!!!Too damn lazy to read, I guess.... Thanks!!!
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #5

Wolfcreek's level is about right and Indy's recommended level is correct. Before I added the Dexron III the reservoir was about empty with jacks extended meaning that some air was getting into the system and causing erratic behavior.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #6

once early on, while in South Dakota, I had put the levelers out for the evening stop, but was not satisfied with some tires being off the ground and decided to retract. Then nothing. The panel operated fine, but nothing happened when pressing the retract button.

I looked at the hydraulic fluid container in the front end, for the first time ever, and decided that it must be the low level of fluid, which prompted me to run to the auto store down the street and retrieve more. Of course you know what happened then, right?
It wasn't low fluid, it was finally diagnosed as a tripped main breaker in the battery compartment, which runs the hydraulics, but apparently not the same one that works the panel.

So, when the offending breaker was reset and the levelers now properly retracted, I discovered fluid all over everything in the front end. The 'additional' fluid I had added was immediately disbursed out the top of the container when the levelers were retracted.

yes, 1/2 way is perfect for when your levelers are deployed! now I know. : /

having said all that, I've not found any leakage or drop in fluid levels in 48k miles and many hundreds of extensions and retractions during that 20 months. : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #7

any idea where the tripped main breaker is that you were referencing. I have a 36.1 and there are no circuit breakers or fuses in the battery compartment. This morning I aired up and then began the retract of the jacks but the normal motor/pump noise that we normally hear as the jacks are operating was not present. I had a very low level hum, the jacks retracted about an inch or little more off the ground (level concrete pad) and then stopped. The control panel timed out and gave me a flashing lights. That could be reset but the jacks will not move from there. The reservoir is a little more than half which looks like its the right level with the jacks extended. Lippert mentioned checking voltages to determine if the motor is getting power. If there is a breaker that controls hydraulics I would want to check that. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Joe
joecathysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #8

It is in the battery compartment in my 2015 33.2, on the left wall. One of these, look for yellow flag hanging down. My compartment is slightly re-arranged, so you may have them in some other place, but still in the battery compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06888.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	123809  
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #9

yes, battery bay on the left wall, hard to see, but little yellow 'flags' on each may show, push in to reset - in all our 48k miles of travel it only happened once, but it's something you never forget.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote