Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #1

Looking to buy a Palazzo

We are looking seriously at purchasing a used Palazzo in near future. So I wanted to get some testimonials from current owners. Is this a sold MH? My biggest concern is towing capacitiy, power, and noise level. We rented a regular C for a week about 3 years ago and I hated driving it - loud and no power. We have a 4500 lb mini van and will need to get a car dolly and we have a family of 8 so towing is a concern. Thanks.
Danny Clapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Clapp View Post
We are looking seriously at purchasing a used Palazzo in near future. So I wanted to get some testimonials from current owners. Is this a sold MH? My biggest concern is towing capacitiy, power, and noise level. We rented a regular C for a week about 3 years ago and I hated driving it - loud and no power. We have a 4500 lb mini van and will need to get a car dolly and we have a family of 8 so towing is a concern. Thanks.
I have been very happy with my Palazzo. This is my 3rd RV I have owned and I had rented several before that so I am familiar with many types and the advantages and disadvantages of each (gas, diesel, Class c, Class A, DP). I will tell you that in my research, and I did a lot, I couldn't find a better more feature packed entry DP for the money anywhere than a Palazzo. I bought new. Used are an even better bargain. Be careful to get a late model 2016 or newer because of the slide rail problems they had in the past (you need the 3 Trax system for the full wall slide).

Don't fall into the hype that you must have XXXhp in the motor or you can't tow. The bottom line is the ACTUAL weight of your coach loaded in relation to the torque of your engine. My engine only has 300hp but has a better or same torque to weight ratio as some of the 650hp much bigger more expensive coaches. In other words, it performs just as well or better. I have passed Million dollar Prevost RVs up steep grades pulling my trailer several times (they were also pulling to be fair). Don't know if they were maxed out on throttle but my point is that you need to look at Torque to actual weight ratio. Compare torque to weight ratio of different RVs if you are concerned about performance on a coach, especially while towing.

My Palazzo has a 10,000 pound trailer hitch rating. However, when fully loaded, to stay within the GCVWR with the trailer, I am limited to more like 6000-7000 pounds on the trailer. If you load your RV less you can tow closer to the 10,000 pounds.

Let me know what other Palazzo questions you have. There are many others on the Palazzo forum here with great info. Good Luck
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
I have been very happy with my Palazzo. This is my 3rd RV I have owned and I had rented several before that so I am familiar with many types and the advantages and disadvantages of each (gas, diesel, Class c, Class A, DP). I will tell you that in my research, and I did a lot, I couldn't find a better more feature packed entry DP for the money anywhere than a Palazzo. I bought new. Used are an even better bargain. Be careful to get a late model 2016 or newer because of the slide rail problems they had in the past (you need the 3 Trax system for the full wall slide).

Don't fall into the hype that you must have XXXhp in the motor or you can't tow. The bottom line is the ACTUAL weight of your coach loaded in relation to the torque of your engine. My engine only has 300hp but has a better or same torque to weight ratio as some of the 650hp much bigger more expensive coaches. In other words, it performs just as well or better. I have passed Million dollar Prevost RVs up steep grades pulling my trailer several times (they were also pulling to be fair). Don't know if they were maxed out on throttle but my point is that you need to look at Torque to actual weight ratio. Compare torque to weight ratio of different RVs if you are concerned about performance on a coach, especially while towing.

My Palazzo has a 10,000 pound trailer hitch rating. However, when fully loaded, to stay within the GCVWR with the trailer, I am limited to more like 6000-7000 pounds on the trailer. If you load your RV less you can tow closer to the 10,000 pounds.

Let me know what other Palazzo questions you have. There are many others on the Palazzo forum here with great info. Good Luck
Thanks for the info. I was looking at a 2014 Palazzo 36.1 with low miles and a great price. My budget is tight. But I see your point about the slide.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...zzo-5002904955

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was looking at a 2014 Palazzo 36.1 with low miles and a great price. My budget is tight. But I see your point about the slide.

What are your thoughts?
It doesn't look like it has the 3 trax system. If not, run. Check this forum and YouTube for problems with the slide on those without the 3 trax system
Old 10-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
I forgot to mention. Many had the factory retrofit their full wall slides to the 3 trax system which is very reliable. Maybe you could get the dealer to throw in the retrofit as part of the deal. I wouldn't get a full wall slide without the 3 rail system on a Palazzo given the problem history.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #6

If I knew then, what I know now I would have had my coach professionally inspected before I purchased.

I did know that the large slide was going to be an issue and negotiated the price based on what it would cost to have the tracks replaced.

I bought a used 2014 33.2 in December 2016 from CW. It was my first purchase and I was very naive. On my way home in a snow storm an engine light came on, windshield wiper sprayer failed and the defrosters didn't work.

When I got home I found the house batteries would not hold a charge. There were a number of other smaller things that I did not find during my walk through that would have been detected in a professional inspection.

We have other big ticket items inspected. You take a used car to a mechanic and have a house inspected before purchase.

Since my purchase I have become aware of the NRVIA (National RV Inspection Association) they are good people doing the right thing. I suggest you take a look at their web site.
mcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
I forgot to mention. Many had the factory retrofit their full wall slides to the 3 trax system which is very reliable. Maybe you could get the dealer to throw in the retrofit as part of the deal. I wouldn't get a full wall slide without the 3 rail system on a Palazzo given the problem history.
Agreed, also the inspection is a great idea. If nothing else call and find out what the retro fit will cost and start your negations from there. That way if you run into a problem you have the cost built into the purchase price and you can over see the retro fit process your self. And if the retro fit is never needed you are $$$$$ ahead.
Keep the slide well lubricated, clear if debris under neath and NEVER open it unless you are level ;-)

So on that note we love our Palazzo ( Purchased new, just over 2 years old and 27000 miles)

Enjoy
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:18 AM   #8

Thank you. I’m assuming yours has the 3 traxs system. Also, are you saying call Thor factory and ask how much to retrofit the slide?
Old 10-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Thank you. I’m assuming yours has the 3 traxs system. Also, are you saying call Thor factory and ask how much to retrofit the slide?
yes I have the 3 traxs, I want to say it was implemented the end of 2014 -beginning of 2015? don't hold me to that...... you can search on here, there are several threads about that. And yes I would call thor about the retrofit.
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
I would worry about that slide. Thor finally started adding a 3rd track on the big slide because people were having problems with two.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #11

We bought a used 2015 (33.2) a little over a year ago and have been fairly pleased. Over the past year we put about 20K miles on it. If you read through the posts on this site you get a general feel for the types of issues that are pretty common to the Pallazzo line. Obviously, the 3-trax system is a must, especially on the big wall slide. Even with the 3-Trax system we have trouble keeping the motors in synch- they've never failed, but it is something I'm wary of in the big wall slide. We recently replaced the entry door mechanism when a plastic piece that draws the latch failed- locking us out and the dogs, cell phones, etc inside at a truck stop. That was an interesting situation! We now keep one of the front windows unlocked except when in storage. The Whirlpool residential fridge failed due to a freon leak which we attributed to vibration. Maybe not, but it was only 2 years old. We did note that the fridge had a sizable ding on the side once we pulled it out. Maybe it was mishandled when installed at the factory. Replacement covered under an extended warranty. Finally, the Anderson valve slowly leaks into the freshwater tank when on the City Fixture setting- a common problem to these valves. We live with it and I'll install a shut-off valve on the F.W. fill line at some point. On the chassis/engine side, we had the DPF cleaned at 25K miles due to crystallization of DEF clogging the valves. Cummins warranty covered the cost. The Freightliner tech said it had nothing to do with the quality of the DEF, (I use Blue-DEF) it was just something to which these Cummins engines were prone- some did, some didn't.

Even with those issues, the price point and features on the Pallazzo is what attracted us. The unit is easy to drive, fairly quiet and I get 10-11 mpg pulling a Honda CRV. The engine pulls the steep grades fairly well. The floor plan is functional and all the other components (electrical and plumbing) work fine- though I wish the inverter was pure sine and not modified. I will also say the sofa/couch in the 33.2 is horribly uncomfortable and I'm looking for options to replace with something better.

I hope this helps somewhat. Good luck on your hunt.
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #12

Thank you for the info. Can I ask how many miles you have on your RV? We have decided to purchase a 2015 Palazzo 33.3 with 57K miles on it. It is in very nice shape and as far as I know there have been any issues with it. I was told it had only one owner who took very good care of it. It has a few upgrades like a couch with power foot rest and central vac. My wife feel in love with the floor plan and it drove like a dream. We are so excited. There is no warranty on it except for the engine. I am a little nervous about possible breakdowns so I will probably get get the extended warranty offers by the dealer.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you for the info. Can I ask how many miles you have on your RV? We have decided to purchase a 2015 Palazzo 33.3 with 57K miles on it. It is in very nice shape and as far as I know there have been any issues with it. I was told it had only one owner who took very good care of it. It has a few upgrades like a couch with power foot rest and central vac. My wife feel in love with the floor plan and it drove like a dream. We are so excited. There is no warranty on it except for the engine. I am a little nervous about possible breakdowns so I will probably get get the extended warranty offers by the dealer.
We have 26K+ miles. The rig had 6800 miles when we purchased. The mileage on your prospective purchase is, in my humble opinion, more important for wear on the coach than on the engine and chassis. I would ask for any maintenance records on the chassis to make sure the annual Freightliner recommended maintenance checks were performed. If no records exist, think about negotiating the Freightliner inspection into the cost of the rig. I was fortunate that the previous owner of my 33.2 kept meticulous notes and records. We also purchased an extended warranty just for the peace of mind as this was our first motorhome. It did pay off on replacing the Whirlpool fridge.

I hope the rig works out for you. We’ve enjoyed our Palazzo and enjoy hearing from others in the family.
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieBaxter View Post
We bought a used 2015 (33.2) a little over a year ago and have been fairly pleased. Over the past year we put about 20K miles on it. If you read through the posts on this site you get a general feel for the types of issues that are pretty common to the Pallazzo line. Obviously, the 3-trax system is a must, especially on the big wall slide. Even with the 3-Trax system we have trouble keeping the motors in synch- they've never failed, but it is something I'm wary of in the big wall slide. We recently replaced the entry door mechanism when a plastic piece that draws the latch failed- locking us out and the dogs, cell phones, etc inside at a truck stop. That was an interesting situation! We now keep one of the front windows unlocked except when in storage. The Whirlpool residential fridge failed due to a freon leak which we attributed to vibration. Maybe not, but it was only 2 years old. We did note that the fridge had a sizable ding on the side once we pulled it out. Maybe it was mishandled when installed at the factory. Replacement covered under an extended warranty. Finally, the Anderson valve slowly leaks into the freshwater tank when on the City Fixture setting- a common problem to these valves. We live with it and I'll install a shut-off valve on the F.W. fill line at some point. On the chassis/engine side, we had the DPF cleaned at 25K miles due to crystallization of DEF clogging the valves. Cummins warranty covered the cost. The Freightliner tech said it had nothing to do with the quality of the DEF, (I use Blue-DEF) it was just something to which these Cummins engines were prone- some did, some didn't.

Even with those issues, the price point and features on the Pallazzo is what attracted us. The unit is easy to drive, fairly quiet and I get 10-11 mpg pulling a Honda CRV. The engine pulls the steep grades fairly well. The floor plan is functional and all the other components (electrical and plumbing) work fine- though I wish the inverter was pure sine and not modified. I will also say the sofa/couch in the 33.2 is horribly uncomfortable and I'm looking for options to replace with something better.

I hope this helps somewhat. Good luck on your hunt.
We had a 2016 36.1 with 37K until a week ago. The above describes to a Tee our experience. Same issues , same complaints and same conclusion.
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote