RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I have another data point to support my argument that the slide system may be overloaded on the Palazzo models with longer, heavier slides. When I was departing my overnight location two days ago my DW placed a very heavy suitcase (maybe 50+ lbs) on the sofa close to the front of the slide. When she attempted to close the slide it slowed down and did not complete close on the front end. I came inside and found the suitcase on the sofa. Once I removed the suitcase I extended the slide and it retracted squarely and completely. One other thing I noticed a few weeks ago in a campground. A big Class B+ (Super C) owned by Travis Mathews (golf apparel) which had a Schwintek type system but it had a third track in the middle of the slide. This slide was not as large as some on the Palazzo. Maybe these Super C engineering folks know something that Thor engineering folks do not know or have not figured out? At some point you can exceed the capacity of the Schwintek Slide System.
Yep. I agree with you on this Jack!! Too much mass for too little motors. If you had the big slide you could hear this every time you use it!!!

Good comment

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
I agree on checking the gears regular & using the brush is what I do. Crazy tho.

On my last RV I would take it to dealer once a year and tell them to service everything. I never checked or had to touch anything for the three years I owned it.

So I go spend an additional $80,000 on a new Palazzo and I get to check everything each time I run the slide out or even drive it for that matter. I get to listen to the popping and banging every time the large slide goes out. Always hoping it makes it. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.

BUT!!! I love the ride & drive and fuel milage.

Russell
I lube our slide with Holy Water and a Prayer everytime we close it!!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
I lube our slide with Holy Water and a Prayer everytime we close it!!

I'm going to make friends with as many people as I can when we camp. That way, hopefully when we get ready to leave, I can ask a few friends to come help us push our slide in when it fails.
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #18

Pushing the slide in.

I did push in the slide Monday morning. Three points were engaged well but the top rail on the front of the big slide was chewed up enough that I had to go out and push while the DW pushed the button. Tony from Thor is arranging to have their tech come and fix it in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they will be able to do that so I can attend the MB rally.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I have another data point to support my argument that the slide system may be overloaded on the Palazzo models with longer, heavier slides. When I was departing my overnight location two days ago my DW placed a very heavy suitcase (maybe 50+ lbs) on the sofa close to the front of the slide. When she attempted to close the slide it slowed down and did not complete close on the front end. I came inside and found the suitcase on the sofa. Once I removed the suitcase I extended the slide and it retracted squarely and completely.

One other thing I noticed a few weeks ago in a campground. A big Class B+ (Super C) owned by Travis Mathews (golf apparel) which had a Schwintek type system but it had a third track in the middle of the slide. This slide was not as large as some on the Palazzo. Maybe these Super C engineering folks know something that Thor engineering folks do not know or have not figured out? At some point you can exceed the capacity of the Schwintek Slide System.

Yes Jack, we too have seen the "third track". When our coach was in Elkhart for repairs I mentioned the third track theory but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. They wouldn't even entertain the idea. Maybe that fix is cost prohibitive for them.
I can imagine they are as tired of hearing about "slide issues" as we are of having them so maybe that will motivate the Thor engineers to think about long term slide fixes. I guess time will tell.

Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #20

Thumbs up Thor Responsive

After calling Thor, Tony has arranged for the Thor technician to travel to the shop at Tom Johnson, Concord and fix my slide. Kudos to Thor for their effort here and thanks to Tom Johnson for allowing Thor to use their shop to do this. I am attaching a picture showing the damage to the top front slide rail. Evidently there is a clearance problem between the gear and track that has allowed the gear to chew up the aluminum track. Pending getting this corrected I will be able to attend the TDC rally in MB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	59914  
Old 04-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Was that on the forward side of large/long slide or the bedroom one?
Did they replace the slide mounted track that was chewed up?
Were you able to view the repair as it was done?
Was this condition that happens over time and use?
Did he lube it with the lubricant in the previous posts?

Sorry for all the questions! This part of the coach is the biggest concern when traveling.

I have the same year and 33.2 coach and hold my breath whenever I go to retract the large slide.

Thanks!
Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Bob and Rita:
Don's questions below your post and picture are very important. Since I also have the same year and model Palazzo, it would be very helpful to read your responses. My teeth are not as bad as in your photograph, just a little scuffing on the side of a few teeth, but I do not know whether there should be no scuffing at all. Have you found that out from the tech?
Thanks
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
Bob and Rita:
Don's questions below your post and picture are very important. Since I also have the same year and model Palazzo, it would be very helpful to read your responses. My teeth are not as bad as in your photograph, just a little scuffing on the side of a few teeth, but I do not know whether there should be no scuffing at all. Have you found that out from the tech?
Thanks
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Suggest you take some detailed pics of your slide and send them to THOR techs and hear the response right from them.

regards
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
After calling Thor, Tony has arranged for the Thor technician to travel to the shop at Tom Johnson, Concord and fix my slide. Kudos to Thor for their effort here and thanks to Tom Johnson for allowing Thor to use their shop to do this. I am attaching a picture showing the damage to the top front slide rail. Evidently there is a clearance problem between the gear and track that has allowed the gear to chew up the aluminum track. Pending getting this corrected I will be able to attend the TDC rally in MB.
Was Dennis your field service rep? He came from Charlotte this week to fix my leak. He said Tom Johnson sent your parts back that's why he had time to come to Raleigh to fix mine. But he should've got you fixed up wednesday? He told me he had another Palazzo to work on at Tom Johnson. Are you all set? It's interesting what we learn as a group online about what Thor is doing about these issues when a lot of us has been effected.

As a side note it concerns me how long these aluminum tracks will last. Weak aluminum on a steel gear is not the ideal solution. I hope Thor can come up with a permanent solution for us. The tracks on my 35.1 are already starting to show significant wear. Especially at the top. It's obvious the weight is an issue for the top tracks. I don't understand why a lot of owners continue to ignore that fact.
Road Master base plates
Old 04-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #25

Slide Repaired

Yes--Dennis the Thor tech came and went and I was notified that my MH slide was fixed. I did not get a chance to talk with Dennis. However I do see that the slide top front rail (large slide) has been replaced and know that it was run out at least once as the slide shows evidence of use. Have not run the slide out yet. We will wait for better weather next week. I thank Thor for sending Dennis and the parts in an expeditious manner and although there was a one day snafu on the parts it did get fixed reasonably quickly. After the pickup in Concord we went on up to Mocksville and had our new Magnashades installed by Roger Hunckler. Nice folks. I hope to see many of the folks on this forum in Myrtle beach in a week.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
Yes--Dennis the Thor tech came and went and I was notified that my MH slide was fixed. I did not get a chance to talk with Dennis. However I do see that the slide top front rail (large slide) has been replaced and know that it was run out at least once as the slide shows evidence of use. Have not run the slide out yet. We will wait for better weather next week. I thank Thor for sending Dennis and the parts in an expeditious manner and although there was a one day snafu on the parts it did get fixed reasonably quickly. After the pickup in Concord we went on up to Mocksville and had our new Magnashades installed by Roger Hunckler. Nice folks. I hope to see many of the folks on this forum in Myrtle beach in a week.
Yeah Dennis was very nice. I can't say enough good things about the folks I've met at Thor and who have helped us. I think in a lot of ways they are caught up in the huge conglomerate that is Thor motor coach who only cares about production and pushing out rv's that lack quality control. I guess that is a good thing for the service tech cause it will most definitely keep then in a job as we will continue to buy.
Road Master base plates
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #27

just to be clear... it is not the motor that is being upgraded, it is the gearing. The size of the motor has nothing to do with how much mass it can pull.... with the right gearing, that little motor can move the 3 or 4 off those big slides. What causes slide failures is misalignment of the cog and the rail... what causes misalignment is twisting of the body and slide, poor tolerances off cog and rail contact, and slide not sitting on bottom rollers evenly.... the scwintek system is not deigned to carry alot of the slides weight, that is the rollers job... look for wear marks on the roller plates located on bottom of your slides... makes sure the marks are uniform on each plate, if not your slide may not be sitting on the slides evenly and the scwintek will be prone to misalignment. Lubricating these rollers and keeping the area clear of objects and debris is essential.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
just to be clear... it is not the motor that is being upgraded, it is the gearing. The size of the motor has nothing to do with how much mass it can pull.... with the right gearing, that little motor can move the 3 or 4 off those big slides. What causes slide failures is misalignment of the cog and the rail... what causes misalignment is twisting of the body and slide, poor tolerances off cog and rail contact, and slide not sitting on bottom rollers evenly.... the scwintek system is not deigned to carry alot of the slides weight, that is the rollers job... look for wear marks on the roller plates located on bottom of your slides... makes sure the marks are uniform on each plate, if not your slide may not be sitting on the slides evenly and the scwintek will be prone to misalignment. Lubricating these rollers and keeping the area clear of objects and debris is essential.

I think I said the motors, but yes it is the gearing in the motor. When Dean, the Thor rep was working on my first 33.2 he was explaining that to me. However, when he was working on that first Palazzo, the motors/gears did not need upgrading because they were already the correct ones. It was more related to the other things you mentioned.

For that reason I also never extend the slides unless the Palazzo is on jacks and level.
Road Master base plates

Tags
cat, slide, slideout