Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Lubricating Schwintek Slideout

Ran across this youtube video and found it interesting.
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #3

Redridge,
Since you just returned from the Thor Indiana factory and you had your Schwintek slides upgraded.... was this CRC Power Lube product recommended by Thor ? What other advice, if any, did Thor suggest as recommended routine maintenance ?

Thanks !
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #4

I was told by Dean @ Thor not to use any lube. But I'd I felt compelled to then only use a dry type. Reason being, any oils will trap dirt and any aluminum shavings that happen to get caught in the teeth and gears.
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Manufacturer's Recommendation

FYI, here's the response I received from Lippert to an email inquiry regarding lubricating the Schwintek slide out system:

Good Morning Frank~

Thank you for your inquiry~ The only lubrication we recommend using is the CRC Power Lube in a green can. It can be found at places such as Fastenal or Grainger.

Thank You and Have a nice day~

For emergencies outside our business hours of 8am-5pm, please call 1.574.537.8900.

Lippert Customer Service Division #39

Division of Drew Industries

1701 Century Drive

Goshen, IN 46528

574-537-8900

574-534-7161 Fax

Thank you for your business
Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #6

The service guys will only go by the recommendations of their vendors... they use their vendors to fix alot of the customers complaints. Its like any other industry, Im sure vendors bid on certain model line to get a contract and supply it to Thor. For example, I had a complaint about the drop down bed taking 2 person to put the travel pin. The service guys called the supplier and installed a delay module so the motor creep is lessened and you can put the pins in. So if schwintek recommends lubing, I would do it per their instructions. I also believe that it should be lubed.

Some of the things I learned from Elkhart:
The service guys use this stuff for any body seals such such as fender trim, slide trim... they use this stuff alot.

As for holding the slide button down... you only hold it down till the motor shut off, when they say it will sync the motor, they mean that the motor gears are where they should be and as long as it is, the slide will go in/out consistently in the same spot. The roller on the bottom is very important and hold all of the weight of the slide as it move in/out. The rollers at the sides (inside the rubber trim) is only there as a guide. So it is a good idea to check the bottom rollers for good contact of the slide.

For those that have drafts in the kitchen are, there is a sleeve that wraps hoses/wires etc... it is also attached to the edges of the slit under the slide... check that it is sealed, this wrap keeps critters/rain/wind out.

If you have any issues at all, even though Thor does not have a fix for it.... I would let them know and have them record it.... This way if anything should happen further down the road and is somehow related to what has beed recorded by thor... it will only help you if you want it fixed or replaced.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
The service guys will only go by the recommendations of their vendors... they use their vendors to fix alot of the customers complaints. Its like any other industry, Im sure vendors bid on certain model line to get a contract and supply it to Thor. For example, I had a complaint about the drop down bed taking 2 person to put the travel pin. The service guys called the supplier and installed a delay module so the motor creep is lessened and you can put the pins in. So if schwintek recommends lubing, I would do it per their instructions. I also believe that it should be lubed.

Some of the things I learned from Elkhart:
The service guys use this stuff for any body seals such such as fender trim, slide trim... they use this stuff alot.

As for holding the slide button down... you only hold it down till the motor shut off, when they say it will sync the motor, they mean that the motor gears are where they should be and as long as it is, the slide will go in/out consistently in the same spot. The roller on the bottom is very important and hold all of the weight of the slide as it move in/out. The rollers at the sides (inside the rubber trim) is only there as a guide. So it is a good idea to check the bottom rollers for good contact of the slide.

For those that have drafts in the kitchen are, there is a sleeve that wraps hoses/wires etc... it is also attached to the edges of the slit under the slide... check that it is sealed, this wrap keeps critters/rain/wind out.

If you have any issues at all, even though Thor does not have a fix for it.... I would let them know and have them record it.... This way if anything should happen further down the road and is somehow related to what has beed recorded by thor... it will only help you if you want it fixed or replaced.
Good info! I lube my slides with CRC.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Good info! I lube my slides with CRC.

Do Y'all lube the entire track or just the inside part of the "block" as described in the video?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
Do Y'all lube the entire track or just the inside part of the "block" as described in the video?
I use a brush to clean the gear tracks and only lube the "block" as described in the video.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I use a brush to clean the gear tracks and only lube the "block" as described in the video.
Keeping those Schwintek tracks free of debris would most certainly prevent a possible bind up. I now inspect the tracks every time I extend and before I retract the slide outs. Everyone should make that a part of their routine check list.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #11

I agree on checking the gears regular & using the brush is what I do. Crazy tho.

On my last RV I would take it to dealer once a year and tell them to service everything. I never checked or had to touch anything for the three years I owned it.

So I go spend an additional $80,000 on a new Palazzo and I get to check everything each time I run the slide out or even drive it for that matter. I get to listen to the popping and banging every time the large slide goes out. Always hoping it makes it. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.

BUT!!! I love the ride & drive and fuel milage.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #12

here is a response from Thor regarding lubing the rollers under the slide...

Hello Ferdinand,

You can use a dry lube, non silicone....to lubricate the rollers.
Getting to them isn't that hard. You would just need to get under the
slide while out and pull down the seals on the bottom to access them.

Thanks,

Daniel Berry
Warranty
Thor Motor Coach
Ph#877-855-2867
Fax#574-294-3618
Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
here is a response from Thor regarding lubing the rollers under the slide...

Hello Ferdinand,

You can use a dry lube, non silicone....to lubricate the rollers.
Getting to them isn't that hard. You would just need to get under the
slide while out and pull down the seals on the bottom to access them.

Thanks,

Daniel Berry
Warranty
Thor Motor Coach
Ph#877-855-2867
Fax#574-294-3618
Very good info Ferdinand. I also check to make sure all the rollers are making very good contact to the underside of the slide. I still feel like that is one of the biggest weak links in the system.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #14

Schwintek Type System

I have another data point to support my argument that the slide system may be overloaded on the Palazzo models with longer, heavier slides. When I was departing my overnight location two days ago my DW placed a very heavy suitcase (maybe 50+ lbs) on the sofa close to the front of the slide. When she attempted to close the slide it slowed down and did not complete close on the front end. I came inside and found the suitcase on the sofa. Once I removed the suitcase I extended the slide and it retracted squarely and completely.

One other thing I noticed a few weeks ago in a campground. A big Class B+ (Super C) owned by Travis Mathews (golf apparel) which had a Schwintek type system but it had a third track in the middle of the slide. This slide was not as large as some on the Palazzo. Maybe these Super C engineering folks know something that Thor engineering folks do not know or have not figured out? At some point you can exceed the capacity of the Schwintek Slide System.

Tags
cat, slide, slideout