Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Exclamation Murphy's law, and RV travel...

Today was a little nerve-racking versus most travel days... after 50,000 miles we've never had too many 'road' issues and I'm very comfortable driving through most any traffic, location, or unknown areas...

but...

........................... Murphy's 'law' states that things, mostly negative I'm convinced, will happen at the 'worst' moment... a la, your Freightliner dash readout suddenly stating " ! TRANS OIL FILTER " across the screen - right as you are entering an extremely congested interstate 'work zone', which lasts for over 20 miles, with no exits or places to pull over...

... 30 miles later, and at a very congested truck stop exit, I was able to finally get a hold of Freightliner 24/7 customer service, after 14 minutes of holding, and we walked thru the solution. As I was hoping, it looks as if this is a 50,000 mile 'alert' built into the system, by Freightliner, to remind you to change your tranny filter... Not necessarily a 'warning' that something is wrong. We were able to use the '4 way' button to walk thru the dash readout selections and 'reset' the Trans Oil as though it had been changed. When I restarted the engine, the alert was still there, but a 'left' on the '4 way' button put it back into normal mode.

Nice and finally back on the road to our next destination...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
So sorry you were alarmed in that manner! That is good to know, though.

I have had my share of alerts and warnings as well. I've got about 17K miles on my odometer so far. Last December, on our way to Orlando, we had to stop at a Freightliner service somewhere in the Carolinas because of multiple dash warning lights that kept going off. A few days later, on our way home, we had to stop at another Freightliner in Virginia due to a red 'Stop Engine' light, the most fatal of them all.

To this day, I also experience total dash reboots whenever I'm driving. Despite multiple calls and visits to Freightliner, they can't seem to find the culprit. I still give them credit for the many times they have helped me out on the phone lines and walked me through the issues I've experienced. They really do a great job and are always so polite and helpful. I drive from MD to Gaffney to get my service done there, too. I don't trust any of my local faciilites as much as I do that one.
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:12 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great info about the warning light.

While on the subject.. what is our service interval on the transmission ??

I'm having the generator dropped next week for my 1,000 hour service. Along with the normal stuff also changing coolant, belt, thermostat and whatever else. While it's dropped might as well change what can be changed to hopefully minimize future issues. Football season is right around the corner !!!
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post

To this day, I also experience total dash reboots whenever I'm driving. Despite multiple calls and visits to Freightliner, they can't seem to find the culprit. I still give them credit for the many times they have helped me out on the phone lines and walked me through the issues I've experienced. They really do a great job and are always so polite and helpful. I drive from MD to Gaffney to get my service done there, too. I don't trust any of my local faciilites as much as I do that one.

Check the fuse box in the front driver's side compartment. The tech found some relays that weren't firmly seated. Haven't experienced loss of dash since. Knock on wood 😄

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Good idea! Will definitely check them. Thanks so much.
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
Freightliner dash readout suddenly stating " ! TRANS OIL FILTER " across the screen - right as you are entering an extremely congested interstate 'work zone', which lasts for over 20 miles, with no exits or places to pull over...... 30 miles later, and at a very congested truck stop exit,
Nice and finally back on the road to our next destination...
glad you are okay misterT, curious was your work zone I-40 in Arkansas? I was there Monday and my GPS said "ROAD CLOSED" i was like what??? its
I-40 you cant close an entire interstate!!! well they did, luckily i was West bound and jumped of right at the beginning of the line to state highways for about 50 miles around the issue. When i came back to I-40 on the other side the eastbound lane was a parking lot and people standing out by there cars and RV's hanging out in the 90 degree heat. I am just sure someone ran out of gas waiting on whatever they were doing. I saw quite a few RVs stuck in that line and a whole lot of truckers...
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #7

prob 50,000 miles for the TransOilFilter since I'm just over that mileage, and, by the way, I found that you not only have to 'reset' the alert by showing that you've had service, but you also must add the Mileage for the next 'alert, so that it stops the current alert.

usimg the '4 way' button, hold to the right for several seconds - the menu will appear
Old 06-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #8

update:

today the "TransOilFilter!" alert started again...

after using the 4-way 'joy stick' to defeat it each mile, I got aggravated and pulled over in the next rest area to call the closest Allison Transmission service center. The gentleman who answered gave me good advice to permanently defeat the alert, using the Gear Shift pad:

key ON
push Neutral
then Reverse
then Neutral
then Reverse
then Neutral
then DRIVE
then Neutral
key OFF

start Engine, alert should disappear soon, which it did

no message since, and after 100 more miles

nice, hopefully this solves the issue

afterwards I also called Gaffney OASIS service center who said that they used the 4-way joystick and the dash readout to do this(though when I had tried this before, it only lasted for a short time before it reatarted again...)
Old 06-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post

I have had my share of alerts and warnings as well. I've got about 17K miles on my odometer so far. Last December, on our way to Orlando, we had to stop at a Freightliner service somewhere in the Carolinas because of multiple dash warning lights that kept going off. A few days later, on our way home, we had to stop at another Freightliner in Virginia due to a red 'Stop Engine' light, the most fatal of them all.

I had a series of dash-instrument wink-outs shortly after taking delivery of the coach. On the recommendation of the voice at the other end of the Freightliner help line, my local Freightliner repair shop ordered and replaced the DRIVER INFORMATION MODULE located behind the instrument panel. This controls the interface between the data-bus and the instruments. No further problems.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:44 AM   #10

Good stuff... thanks for sharing, will help many with this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
update:

today the "TransOilFilter!" alert started again...

after using the 4-way 'joy stick' to defeat it each mile, I got aggravated and pulled over in the next rest area to call the closest Allison Transmission service center. The gentleman who answered gave me good advice to permanently defeat the alert, using the Gear Shift pad:

key ON
push Neutral
then Reverse
then Neutral
then Reverse
then Neutral
then DRIVE
then Neutral
key OFF

start Engine, alert should disappear soon, which it did

no message since, and after 100 more miles

nice, hopefully this solves the issue

afterwards I also called Gaffney OASIS service center who said that they used the 4-way joystick and the dash readout to do this(though when I had tried this before, it only lasted for a short time before it reatarted again...)
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:10 AM   #11

Like "Captain Ron" always sez: "if it going to happen, it will happen out there!" So kick the tires and light the fire......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heading out I-30 from Dallas to I-40 into Memphis on Friday. Thanks for the info!! I be looking for other routes.

Tags
travel